Sign in with
Your question

Switch 4890 to 5770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2010 11:06:29 PM

Hello!
I've bought Vapor-X Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 card few days ago but well, I forgot about existance of DX 11. Becouse of that I started to think about selling my 4890 and buying Vapor-X Sapphire radeon HD 5770 graphic card which is on exactly same price as my previous card. Is it good idea? is DX 11 worth swapping my 4890 for 5770? I can't afford 58xx and I'm not planning on buying second card. Also, my monitor is 21' with max resolution at 1680x1050 and I have 620W modecom carbon power supply.

EDIT: I am thinking about this card as a card for few years, that's why I wondering will DX11 make such big diffrence.

More about : switch 4890 5770

January 2, 2010 11:46:14 PM

Well, I am already playing DX11 game - Battleforge. The biggest bait for me is tessellation in DX11 but if it's not wirth it... is 4890 really that better than 5770 currently?
January 3, 2010 12:42:35 AM

HD5770 is like something slightly worse than HD4870 in raw FPS but with PhysX effect thanks to DX11.

Hence, you would get better graphic quality in DX11 game titles with significant lower FPS compared to HD4890.

Thus, it is not a worthwhile upgrade IMO.
Related resources
January 3, 2010 2:47:00 AM

Keep the 4890, the 5770 has less power than a 4870.
January 3, 2010 9:51:45 AM

Quote:
Please don't spread misinformation. I don't know if you have gotten mixed up with something to do with compute shaders but that statement about is completely wrong.

Read this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dirt-2-performance-...

AND

Read what PhysX does at nVidia's website.
January 3, 2010 10:01:53 AM

It is NOT PhysX effect, but DX11 gives a result that is similar to what PhysX does.
January 3, 2010 10:07:16 AM

Quote:
Physx, is the name of physics simulation software that can be used as a game's physics base or as additional physics. It can also be hardware accelerated.

It is however, not hardware agnostic as it is now owned by nvidia and locked to their hardware.

It has nothing to do with dx11 and never has. Please quote from the article what you want me to read, I have no intention of reading it all just to prove you wrong.

Read the post above you.

I never said it is PhysX effect and I used "is like something" in my sentence.
January 3, 2010 10:17:33 AM

KAMLOTTON said:
Hello!
I've bought Vapor-X Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 card few days ago but well, I forgot about existance of DX 11. Becouse of that I started to think about selling my 4890 and buying Vapor-X Sapphire radeon HD 5770 graphic card which is on exactly same price as my previous card. Is it good idea? is DX 11 worth swapping my 4890 for 5770? I can't afford 58xx and I'm not planning on buying second card. Also, my monitor is 21' with max resolution at 1680x1050 and I have 620W modecom carbon power supply.

EDIT: I am thinking about this card as a card for few years, that's why I wondering will DX11 make such big diffrence.

I just looked at the FPS charts and it's LOWER than the 4870 in FPS
Afte there are many games out with X11 it might make some sense
to sacrifice the FPS...but how much use would you get from it now ?
January 3, 2010 10:38:40 AM

Quote:
Don't BS me. Backtracking on a forum is useless as the evidence is still there, quote as well to stop any editing not that you can with this forum software.

You said something like referring to performance. You did not use something like when referring to physx. It is important that you get the terminology right as the way you said it meant that you thought you could use physx on an ati card for a non physx game because it had DX11 coding.

If you didn't mean that, just say that. Don't go round in circles.

I did in my 1st post.
Quote:
HD5770 is like something slightly worse than HD4870 in raw FPS but with PhysX effect thanks to DX11.

The edit time of that post IS before the post that you are saying I am wrong.

I didn't change anything after arguing with you.
January 3, 2010 10:41:47 AM

BTW, what do you get from proving I am wrong EVEN IF I did change after arguing with you which is NOT the case?

Apology?
January 3, 2010 11:03:26 AM

Also, the sentence below

Quote:
It is NOT PhysX effect, but DX11 gives a result that is similar to what PhysX does.

was also written before the following talk from you

Quote:
Physx, is the name of physics simulation software that can be used as a game's physics base or as additional physics. It can also be hardware accelerated.

It is however, not hardware agnostic as it is now owned by nvidia and locked to their hardware.

It has nothing to do with dx11 and never has. Please quote from the article what you want me to read, I have no intention of reading it all just to prove you wrong.

which is earlier than the post of yours shown below

Quote:
Don't BS me. Backtracking on a forum is useless as the evidence is still there, quote as well to stop any editing not that you can with this forum software.

You said something like referring to performance. You did not use something like when referring to physx. It is important that you get the terminology right as the way you said it meant that you thought you could use physx on an ati card for a non physx game because it had DX11 coding.

If you didn't mean that, just say that. Don't go round in circles.

YES, THERE IS EVIDENCE! AND THE EVIDENCE SHOWS THAT I DIDN'T MAKE ANY BS CHANGE AFTER ARGUING WITH YOU.
January 3, 2010 11:19:55 AM

Quote:
Look, you did not convey your meaning correctly and personally I think you have realised you made a mistake and are backtracking. All I wanted was to make sure that people did not get the wrong idea.

I don't give a *** about edits or posting while I was posting. All it was was that you posted something that read the wrong way.

All I wanted was to clarify things for the OP and others as he wasn't sure of things as it was.

I think all can see the error and understand the situation now.

It is your bad understanding in English and that's why you are the only one who is saying that I am wrong.

Check the time of my edit and your post.

I didn't make any change after arguing with you.

OMG
January 3, 2010 11:28:18 AM

Fine if you don't want to apologize but don't be unreasonable!
January 3, 2010 11:47:43 AM

Quote:
My English is fine.

You said that you can get physx effects due to DX11 or words to that effect. That is all that was under discussion.

..................... Could you please kindly read what you said and what my responses were again?

All of the statements from you were regarding "whether I said PhysX is offered in DX11 or not" and "Whether I made BS change after arguing with you or not".

Which I never did.................

All I said was that the DX11 offers you an effect that is SIMILAR to what PhysX does according to the article I mentioned.
January 4, 2010 3:12:54 AM

This entire thread has been hijacked by you 2 with meaningless arguing.

However personally I think andy did not convey his message clearly
andy5174 said:

Hence, you would get better graphic quality in DX11 game titles with significant lower FPS compared to HD4890.

DirectX 11 does not give you PhysX effects, it can give you PhysX-like effects or Physics effects but not PhysX.

PhysX is owned by nVidia & locked to their hardware, it has nothing to do with DX11.

I have read the "is like" part, but that simply says the 5770 is like GPU "X".
GPU "X" has PhysX because of DX11, which is impossible.
So your notion of GPU "X" is invalid, impossible, & irrelevant.

You did not say GPU "X" has something "like" PhysX, you said it had PhysX.

January 4, 2010 4:53:04 AM

OMG, another guy who does NOT read!

I said

Quote:

"Something" is the thing that does NOT exist! And this thing is worse than HD4870 but with PhysX. I meant HD5770 is like/similar to it, BUT not the same as it.

What I meant is that DX11 gives an effect that is like/similar to PhysX.
January 4, 2010 4:55:32 AM

...... Why do you ignore the first part of my sentence?

Is "Your English is NOT very good" the same as ''Your English is very good"? Do you ignore "NOT" when you hear this?

Maybe you should pay me for teaching you English.
January 4, 2010 5:53:55 AM

I've figured out why you two misunderstand my meaning now.

Quote:
It's about the comma in sentence. You need to learn how to use comma.

1. (Without comma before "but with PhysX effect thanks to DX11"): HD5770 is like something slightly worse than HD4870 in raw FPS but with PhysX effect thanks to DX11

>> It means that HD5770 is like "X". where "X" is "something slightly worse than HD4870 in raw FPS but with PhysX effect thanks to DX11".

2.(With comma before "but with PhysX effect thanks to DX11"): HD5770 is like something slightly worse than HD4870 in raw FPS , but with PhysX effect thanks to DX11.

>> It means that HDD5770 is like something slightly worse than HD4870 in raw FPS AND it comes with PhysX effect thanks to DX11.

January 4, 2010 4:02:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, we have needlessly hikacked this thread and pm's probably should have been used.

Sorry to the OP who no doubt has run away in terror long ago.

P.S The comma changes nothing.

Learn English before you say something in a forum.

BTW, your English is not that bad but it's absolutely not fine too, especially your GRAMMAR in comma aspect.
January 4, 2010 5:12:51 PM

andy5174 said:
Learn English before you say something in a forum.

BTW, your English is not that bad but it's absolutely not fine too.

Enough already!, get back on topic or leave this thread.
January 4, 2010 8:10:26 PM

If your are to purchase a new GPU get the 5000 series card to avail of DX11 in the future. That is for future benefit. If you want to have something to better the 4890 get the 5850. 5770 is less compare 4870, 4890.

January 4, 2010 9:23:20 PM

Could You please stop arguing in my thread? it's stupid and chidlish...

Anyways, thanks everyone for comments, I've decided to keep 4890.

@leon2006If I'd have money to afford 5850 I wouldn't be writting this thread :p  4890 is 40% cheaper than 5850 or 5850 is 60% more expensive than 4890 or even more, whatever, I still can't afford it...
January 5, 2010 2:08:17 AM

You decide on what you can afford... Performance in terms of frame rate vs future support on DX11. If you look at my configuration one of my rig has a CF 4890. Its going to be that way for a while.

4890 is better than 5770 & 4870. A CF 4890 is better than an OC 5870. A 4890 also consumes ~ 80A more current than 5870.

The 4890s are already phase out. The distributors are just selling current inventories. ATI stop producing the old generation card.
January 5, 2010 5:15:33 AM

PhysX is about GPU accelerated physics processing. DX11 has absolutely nothing to do with anything like that so you were wrong all around.
As for the actual question an HD4890 vs HD5770 is a pure judgment call. The HD4890 is approximately 15% faster on average while the HD5770 is DX11, much cooler/lower power, supports eyefinity and is usually a decent bit cheaper.
Seeing as you already bought the HD4890 I would probably keep it. The only thing that might make replacing it worthwhile is if you plan to crossfire as the temp/power advantage of the HD5770 is definitely a large plus when running two cards. Especially as you probably wouldn't need a new PSU to crossfire HD5770s but would for HD4890s.
January 5, 2010 5:40:24 AM

KAMLOTTON said:
Hello!

i'm trying to build my system now too, and the main advantages for the 5770 compared to the 4890 is the eyefinity and less power usage. I personally am buying the 5770 so that I can use three monitors, not for the dx11
January 5, 2010 5:52:24 AM

KAMLOTTON said:
Hello!

as a 5770 user, i am satisfied with its performance. some say that 5770 is worse compared to 4870, but after visiting this link, u might know the truth. here, i know my 5770 wont regret me. http://service.futuremark.com/hardware/
!