Power Problems

G

About a month ago my desktop began randomly shutting off. It didn't appear to be load based or heat based, but I discovered a wire had somehow pulled out of the connectors to one of the fans. The bare wire, I theorized, must have been hitting the frame and causing a short. I nipped the wire, sealed it off and the computer started working normally again.

Then two weeks ago the problem reappeared. In addition one of the lighted portions of the front of the tower was off several times.

Seeing as I do not have that much expertise in this field, I decided to bring it into a local shop. After farting around with it for a few days, they could not determine what the problem is. The PSU was fine, there was no overheating and the wiring looked to be sound.

I decided to call the company who does the IT work for the chain of pharmacies I work for. I know the guy who runs it and asked him if they would be willing to look at it. They are, more or less, the premier IT company in town.

This past Monday I brought the beast in.

And they could not recreate the problem. They ran the machine at full load for almost two solid days with no power interruptions. They could find no problems either hardware or software related. In fact, they said it was one of the best designed and maintained systems they had ever seen.

So I brought the ah heck home thinking that it may work now. It ran for 30 minutes then the power cut out. In attempting to reboot it, the power cut off again after about five seconds. I attempted to boot several more times with the same result.

I have thought of all the obvious problems. I have removed it from the common serge protector and put it on its own. I have plugged it directly into the wall. In all cases, it still shuts off.

So I have now hit the interwebs in search of an answer. I plan on bringing it back to the place I picked it up from today and have them damn near tear the thing about. I'm heading out of town to Madison for a few days for a pharmacy school interview, so I will be away from the net for a few days.

The only initial thought they had it is since it was a water cooled system, that there could be bubbles in the line preventing proper cooling. However that was until he learned that it was a closed system and nixed that idea.

I can post specs if need be, but does anyone here have a reasonable idea as to what the problem could be?

If this is in the wrong section, I do apologize.

G

Here is what I've scrounged together for system info so far

PSU: NZXT PP-800 800w SLI ready
Proc: Intel Core Duo E8500 @ 3.16 ghz
Mobo: ??? Haven't found that yet
Ram: 4 GB DDR2 PC6400 Ram, no other info than that
Vid: evga GeForce 8800GT 1G
HD: WD 500GB 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache

Clean install of Win7 64bit 6 weeks ago

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
If you can try to set it up and just plain use it where you work (which is hopefully a different place than they tested it) and see if it works fine. If it does, the only thing I can think of is that there's a problem with the power in your house. Or a mad scientist's EM field next door. Whichever.

G

I won't able to try that until Sunday. I've lived in this place since August and have not had any problems, but I suppose anything is possible

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
for the heck of it , see if you have a 15 amp breaker on the computer circuit of your house or wherever it is. If so give it a 20, test on bigger circuit.

I strangely have had to do this since my first 300w psu....9 years ago:
I HAVE TO USE a 20 amp breaker,
and my ups,
AND be sure the breakers on either side have no weird errors...
and then, I am checking for dusty plugs, and even upgrading to totally sealed
prior to where I plug the computer in...
and the strangest error of all: anything to do with an old school dial in modem...

I have even set off the damn fire alarm...the fire alrm is somehow hooked into phone circuits...the evolution is oh so young...
:pt1cable:

Your PSU may have a marginal +12V rail (why you lost part of your lighting); cause indeterminate, but if something was repeatedly shorting it before, that might explain it. This problem may be intermittent in part because of the quality / level of power at the various locations you have tried your PC. For example, if the voltage at the shop is 127V, but at your house is only 110V, the difference could be enough.
What's your budget for a fix? NZXT is not known for quality PSUs; an ancient listing puts them at the very bottom. For one GPU (your 8800GT or whatever you get next), a decent 500W PSU would be sufficient. An Antec Earthwatts or Corsair VX would be good, and not too expensive.