Slow computer

ztekdesign

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hello,
My computer has gotten slower and I completely re-installed windows. It's still slow. The fan seems to run non-stop. How can I do a hardware test?

ztekdesign

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I will try that. I did a (Dr Hardware) test on it but it's 88 pages of info and I'm not sure what to look for. I'm thinking memory or hardware myself because of the fan running all the time. I seems to be clean of dirt and debris around the fan and CPU. The built in windows test, with no programs open shows 5-7% CPU usage and 451mb PF usage. Even just switching between pages or programs is really slow.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah if its using that much of the page file doing nothing then it does sound like bad memory. If you have more than one stick try taking one out and see if thats any better. If not swap them over etc. to see if you can isolate the faulty stick.

Either way memtest should pick up any errors...you may have to run it for a while though!

ztekdesign

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Sounds good. I will try that. The reason I say the fan runs all the time is not just that it runs all the time but it runs on high speed almost all time. It used to slow way down when not using the computer. Now it runs fast all the time. By the way zipzoomflyhigh your comments are so helpful.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
When is the last time you uninstalled the programs you don't use or cleanup up bloatware?

When is the last time you did a disk cleanup and a defrag??

The original post says he's having this trouble from a clean install of Windows so bloatware and other junk aren't a factor. Admittedly 512MB RAM isn't an awful lot but on a brand new clean installation it should be just about adequate.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

WUT! :eek:
You can live with that SLOOW PC!? :D

Man, really do something. Upgrade your RAM, defrag, delete temporary files

ztekdesign

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
After running mem test it shuts the PC down. I ran the test 3 times and it shut down the pc all three times. Is this normal? I'm assuming there is something wrong. Also, the windows install is a fresh install on a formatted HD. No bloatware and I did a defrag yesterday. It worked just fine a few weeks ago. Now it's slow. That is why I did a fresh install and defrag. I don't appreciate sarcasm. Those of you with actual helpful info, thanks and I appreciate it.
"It is better to be thought an idiot then open your mouth and remove all doubt."

ztekdesign

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
All fixed. it actually had two problems. A bad memory chip and a small piece of plastic was blocking off some of the cooling fins. I have no idea how or where the plastic got in there but I had to disassemble the case to get at it and remove it. 2 - 1gig chips are on there way and we should be good to go.
By the way, zipzoomfly the only thing your high on is yourself. You need to leave your mom's basement once and a while and release some of that anger.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

As i understand there you got 2x1GB on the way!:)
if thats so, you will notice a big performance improvement;)

And good job removing that plastic:)

ztekdesign

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Ya the the plastic was blocking off about 1/3 of the cooling. That is why the fan ran fast all the time and probably why the memtest shut down. Now the fan runs slow and quiet 90% of the time like it supposed to. I'm still trying to understand where the plastic came from and how it got where it was. It's the wife's laptop so who knows?

Thanks for the help.