Should I buy a system now?

dafish_hk

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hi,

I've been using a laptop for the last 3 yrs and it is on its last legs. I am thinking about building a desktop system using AMD for mostly photoshop and light gaming and minor video editing.

However I heard next year AMD will switch to a new chipset and CPUs in the near future will not be compatible with 880G or AM3 mobo's. I am worried about my system's upgrade path after a few yrs if I buy a current mobo.

Should I go for it anyways? or should I try to prolong my laptop for 1 more year?

System I am thinking of
AMD Phenom 4x
ASRock 880G Mobo
2GB 1333 Ram
ATI 5750
DVD +/- RW
500GB
550W Power
CoolerMaster Case

Hello and welcome to the forums
No one can't tell you whether the next gen CPUs are compatible with your motherboard or not,because they aren't out yet,however if you want to wait and buy something new then you can't every buy anything,because there is always something new around the corner.
That system looks good,but go with Phenom II X4 CPUs instead,also consider 4GB RAM.
And as for VGA,well 5750 is good,but its worth it to pay more for HD 5770.

^^Bump that,
AMD have a history of being quite good with backwards compatability but no-one can guarantee it
At least 4Gb of ram,if you have Vista or Win7 you can boost your ram using readyboost,buy a 8Gb flashdrive and dedicate it to your readyboost
and Sapphire's 5770 is a beautiful little card,
when your ready, post a build sheet in homebuilt section and we'll help you through it man
Moto

dafish_hk

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Thank you for the kind welcome and advice.

So, say 3 yrs down the line and i upgrade my cpu to a bulldozer or whatnot, the current mobo's wouldn't have a negative effect on the cpu right?

Assuming you get an AM3 socket board now or in the near future, and Bulldozers come out as expected to fit them, you should be fine doing that in a few years imo
obviously tech will move on in that time and your 'new' mobo will be classed as outdated by then but there shouldn't be a compatability issue
Moto

If they will be compatible,then No,i don't think you'll see a negative effect from your motherboard