Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 3550 + Asrock no-k oc

Last response: in Overclocking
August 5, 2012 11:08:28 AM

I have been building a rig for the past 7 days and I just want to make sure I get the best cost/performance I can and this is something I recently stumbled accross.

Apparently ASRock motherboards come with a feature called "no-k oc", which allows to overclock locked CPUs such as i5 3550.

Is it true I could overclock i5 3550 to, say, 4GHz using ASRock Z77 Pro3 motherboard? If so I could potentially save some money.

Or should I just spend extra money on Intel i5 3570k with Asrock Z77 Pro4 motherboard and OC right away?

I am not looking for anything extreme, just a little boost (~500MHz), so my build lasts a little longer before an upgrade is necessary.

I was not sure whether to post this in the CPU section or motherboards but as it is more CPU related I posted it here.

More about : 3550 asrock

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 5, 2012 2:43:05 PM

That's not just an ASRock feature (or a "feature" at all, really), but something that ALL non-K Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge i5's and i7's can do, and it's doable because of a thing known as "Limited" Unlocked.

It allows you to raise the Turbo multipliers by up to 4 bins (400Mhz) each.

Like this.

So, that means for your 3550, you will be able to OC to exactly the same speeds as that illustration shows (4.1Ghz max with one core in use, 4.0 with two, 3.9 with three, and finally, 3.8 with all 4 cores in use).

You won't be able to do any better than that, though. No "magic" that the ASRock board has (it doesn't have any at all), will unlock the CPU to go any higher.

You could gain another 100-200Mhz by raising the BCLK, but that can cause a lot of problems and IS NOT recommended.
August 5, 2012 3:22:16 PM

Best answer selected by majini.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2012 3:34:42 PM

Now that makes sense, thank you very much for the explanation! The exact answer I was looking for!

No wonder why they make unlocked (k) versions for CPUs. Knowing that it's totally worth the extra money since the extra performance you can squeeze out of them will make the CPUs last longer.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 5, 2012 3:35:22 PM

You're welcome. :)  And yeah, the K CPU's aren't really that much more expensive anyway, so it's definitely worth the extra money (to me, at least).
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:46:49 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You're welcome. :)  And yeah, the K CPU's aren't really that much more expensive anyway, so it's definitely worth the extra money (to me, at least).

Hi Thanks a lot this has been a thing that was bothering me for the past few days and now I'm 100% convinced with going for a 3570K :) ..

But Just one more thing..what is the best motherboard I could go for? My Work would be Video editing (kinda heavy work)..so is 3570K fine? and if so what Mobo should I go for?
m
l
!