Problem getting started my XP x64 with my new OCZ Modxstream pro 700W

sahmipower

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I have upgraded my PSU from old 850W unknown PSU into OCZ modxstream pro 700w. It have been recommended to me that this will work on my system when I get my new GPU soon. But it seem that it doesnt let me open my OS properly somehow. I have made sure that all the connectors are connected in the right places and confermed that it was connected properly. But then i put back the old PSU and it works fine. I dont have any clue what is wrong or maybe faulty. I need help.

Here is my build system:
Win XP 46-bit SP2,
AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition,
8GB OCZ Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 402MHz (5-5-5-15),
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H,
1TB Samsung,
Tochiba CD/DVDW and
PSU 850W (but i donno wat make it is)<-- this is the old and still using it.
OCZ ModXstream Pro 700W is the new PSU.

Future GPU:-
Zotac GeForce GTX 295 1792MB

please help asap, because I'm considering returning back this product that I purchased it this week.

sahmipower

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I can see the BIOS thats fine, plus i can see the start of windows. After that, before i get to the point when i register to log in my account, atthat time I can see nothing everything turns to black.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just how far do you get? It gets into the BIOS POST displays. Does it ever say, "Starting Windows" in plain text? Does the Windows splash screen with the moving progress bar ever come on? Or, after the POST screen starts to show, does it show you any text message about any error? What I'm looking for in this is a clue about whether it ever manages to access you hard drive at all.

sahmipower

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

it appears up till "Starting Windows" and it was the progress bar was working just fine, its just where the login account doesnt display most of the times. I tried again and again, and realized that some times i do get to login, but then when i get to the main account all my USB's arent working which means i cant use my logitech G9 (mouse) and Logitech G35 (headphone).

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, so the problem certainly appears to be in Windows. You could try a couple of simple things first.

1. As soon as the POST screen is completing and Windows starts to load, hold down the "F8" key to force it to boot into Safe Mode. Sometimes booting into this mode successfully and then shutting down to reboot normally, even with no other attempts to change anything, will allow Windows to clean up odd junk and fix itself.

2. If you have your original Windows XP Install disk available, boot from it and do NOT run a normal Install. Instead, choose a Repair Install. This will try to compare the devices in the machine to the drivers installed and fix any mis-matches. That might solve some of your problems, especially the non-functioning USB problem.

If neither of those does much good, you could try reloading all the USB drivers. To do that you would boot into Safe Mode first and use Device Manager to Remove all the USB devices it lists. Then you shut down and disconnect every USB device except your keyboard and mouse, and reboot. It should detect those devices and reload their drivers. After that you reconnect the other USB devices, one at a time, and let the system detect them and load their drivers. This might require several reboots to keep it all straight. Although that still may not solve all your problems, at least it could help get the USB devices working properly.

sahmipower

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
@ Paperdoc

I tried both method that you posted me and failed. Somehow on the number

1. it's not working because once I boot into safe mode it get stuck and doesn't continue booting to windows.

2. I have put the windows installation CD and without luck it got stuck at Setup is starting widows and doesn't continue :S.

Anything else that I have to check on???

sahmipower

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
It work fine now that I have used the BIOS and used load optimized Defaults lol.
But I'm going to do more testing and I might get back to this. Although thanks :)

sahmipower

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I have another problem now, I believe that my power supply need to be adjustment in BIOS so that my PSU is compatible with my Mobo, because there is no power in all my USB and when I change everytime my BIOS setting then the USB work but however I encounter another problem. I'm clueless now :S