P6T Deluxe need a SSD need Help plz

wiz1

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I have the Asus P6T Deluxe mb and would like to get an ssd to run wow. My question is i have been out of the tech loop for some time which 120GB ssd should I get? I have no Idea about compatibility etc. I assume my components are still ok and not in need of upgrade.
My system is

I7 2.67 Quad
P6T Deluxe mb
HX 1000 ps
6 gb 1600 ram
WD 640 GB hd
HD6970
aftermarket cooler can't remember that one
Win 7

RealBeast

Titan
I would go with the less expensive SATA II (3Gbps) ssd, since your board has SATA II connectors. My preference for SATA II is still Intel (the 320 series) for SATA II. There has been an Intel rebate several times the past couple of months thru Newegg or Amazon on the 120 and 160 gb, so keep an eye out for a deal.

It will be fully compatible, just set your hdd mode to AHCI in the bios right before you install the Win 7 OS -- it automatically enables the correct winahci driver.

According to the Intel motherboard database your Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard is equipped with an Intel X58 ICH10R chipset that supports SATA 2 3Gb/s solid state drives. but not SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's.

You have two choices depending on your future plans.

If your plans include upgrading your motherboard sometime next year, then you could purchase a SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd. The SATA 3 ssd's are backward compatible with SATA 2. You'll take a bit of a performance hit because of your current motherboard but you'll be all set for a future upgrade.

If you are positive that you will not be upgrading your motherboard next year then a SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd would be okay. Prices have dropped somewhat and there may be some New Year sales next week. Figure on a sale price of just a little bit over $1.00 per GB.

Looking at your specs it appears you have a gaming pc. Don't expect miracles from an ssd. Games, levels, maps, charts, and lists will load faster and gameplay may seem a little more smoother. However, an ssd will not increase FPS.

Which recommendations would you prefer? SATA 2 or SATA 3 ssd's?

RealBeast

Titan
Sorry, but I have to disagree with at least some of that.

Many reviews show that SATA III drives running on SATA II connections are slower, and none are faster.

Yes, you can use it in future build, but future prices will be much cheaper for all ssds.

The real world difference of SATA II or III ssds is minimal. I own two Vertex 3 240s and a half dozen SATA II ssds (Intel X25M, Vertex II, Intel 320) and while there are benchmark differences, there are not really apparent differences in using them in real life. The actual performance improvement over hdds is so great for any ssd that the spread among various ssds is immaterial.

cornell22

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Nice... I was looking for a way to install a Samsung EVO 850 to my P6T Deluxe system. Thanks for the info and suggestion. I just ordered the Highpoint RocketRaid 620.