Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power Problem?

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2010 5:45:48 AM

My computer specs 3.4 AMD2x4 two 1 gig radeonHD 8790 video cards 4 gigs ram. 1.5 TB HD Asus Motherboard, 700 power suppy. Now what happened is I tried to install a second HD but this one was IDE but I had a IDE port on my motherboard. I plug in the power cord to the HD and it sparks 1 time but I plug it in and turn on my computer. My computer runs for about 5 secs and shuts off.I
try to turn it back on but it wont. I end up having to reset my power strip and unplug the IDE HD. Once I do that it starts back up. I smelled a burnt smell and it was the IDE HD. What exactly happed there?

More about : power problem

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 2:38:44 PM

Quick first take: something on the IDE drive's circuit board croaked, causing a short. Your PSU shut off because of the short.
Was your system powered off when you plugged in the drive the first time? With the PSU switched "off" (with its power switch) or unplugged?
Your options for data recovery include cannibalizing an EXACT replacement circuit board for the drive, or sending it to a data recovery service.
January 7, 2010 9:03:15 PM

It was only powered off. I should of unplugged it. Is this a feasible explanation. When I went to plug it in it got shocked because of not unplugging the PSU and that ruined the board. Then in turn when I tried to turn it on it shorted out the system?

Also when the system was shorts out like that is any other computer componets in danger of being damaged
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 10:33:30 PM

Well, the PSU should only have been providing +5VSB, and I don't think that line goes to your hard drives. That's why my comment started "quick first take..." since there's really no way to know what made the circuit board on the HDD fail. I remember an entirely spontaneous failure of a HDD board killed the primary drive on a server on a Friday; I think I greeted the first shift coming in Monday morning, having spent a good bit of that weekend reconstructing the server on a much smaller drive. In any case, why it happened isn't as important as getting it fixed. You might try putting in another drive if you need the space. Data recovery from the dead one is another issue.
m
l
!