Disk Boot Failure after startup

dg870008

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I get a "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press Enter" a few minutes after Windows starts running. My friend said it could either be the battery on my motherboard went dead, my hard drive was going bad, or there was a connection issue. he said to unplug it for a while to check the battery which i did and it didn't ask me to reset the time, so that's out, but I'm not sure which connections I should make sure are working, and I've also read it could be something wrong in my BIOS settings.

So my main questions are:
What sounds like the most likely problem?

If it is a possible connection issue, which connections should I check?

If it is a BIOS issue, how do I access the settings and what should they be?

Is there any way to test if the Hard Drive is working?

sonofhendrix

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Ive had that many times. The chances are your disk is absolutely fine.

Its usually a BIOS problem but can also be bad SATA cables.
Its best to try and get hold of a good or new sata cable and try that.
You can also try hitting Esc or what ever button for your bios to get into the boot menu, and manually select the hard disk for it to boot from.

You can try going into BIOS and re setting it to default.

dg870008

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Checked the connections and ran diagnostics on the computer. The diag program said the Disk drive was working properly, and when I went into the boot menu the computer recognized the HD was connected. At this point my best guess is that my SATA cable may need replaced. I took it to another friend and he's trying to figure it out as well. The computer runs for 5-10 min it will boot and start loading windows, then it gives the boot disk failure msg. It did it after the diagnostics ran as well, and I didn't even know the computer booted to do that.

Bosswak

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Hello sir, maybe your problem is just like what i have experience lately on our company PC, i tried all the possible aspects like changing CMOS battery, IDE cable everything, but there's one thing i been missing, i forgot to transfer the HDD pin to the other functions, before its in the cable select mode, so the Answer is so i move it the master pin mode...the walla presto it is fixed.

by: jjaballe@yahoo.com