Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dual Slot card wont fit in Computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 3, 2010 5:49:58 AM

I just got a new video card for my PC, it a PCI - E 2.0 Nvidea MSi N9800GT and it wont fit in my computer case!! I made sure i had PCI Express, and i do... The card has dual slot on the card, and its interfering with my motherboard. My motherboard is intel BTX microc, From dell. Is there anyway i can make it or change it into a single slot?

Old Card:

New Card:

BTW i bought the card at future shop, and its far from my house, the last thing i want to do is journy over
there, please someone help!!

NEW PICTURES ARE UP!!!!
January 3, 2010 7:03:54 AM

HELP~~!!
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 7:50:00 AM

uh, u must check your mobo's construction before buy something.
okay, here we goes, Yes, u can change it into a single slot without the cooler.. But the real question is, do u want it?
GPU card without cooler is the same as kitchen stove inside your case.
therefore, if u can, single slot solution card is not recommended, the card may get hot so fast...
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2010 7:54:16 AM

Why can't i just single slot with the cooler?!? Does the second slot really have any purpose? How can i single slot and keep the fan at the same time? Thanks for help.
m
l
January 3, 2010 7:59:49 AM

1 more question. I have an old Radeon 4670 HD that broke but that fan works fine, can i possible switch that fan with the one on mine and single slot at the same time? Thanks for your help, and time posting. :) 
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 8:02:57 AM

Because with single slot with the cooler your card would getting hot so fast, the cooler take 1 slot because it's big and it's purpose just 1 thing: cooling down your gpu...
There's cards out there with only take 1 slot, but as i said before, single slot solution card is not recommended, the card may get hot so fast...
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 8:08:42 AM

ummm, i don't know whether the 4670 card's construction will be the same with 9800GT's construction...
But still, that's not recommended...
Can't u return the card and get the other card that only take 1 slot?
I know the store is far away...
m
l
January 3, 2010 8:13:46 AM

Umm, what should i do? Am i basicly screwed? I mean my if single slot graphics cards are not recommended and dual slot wont fit what do i do?

Do i get a new motherboard? If so whats the cheapest one for a good and reasonable price? Finally, will it still be compatable with everything i have?

Like i said before, i had a ATI Radeon 4670 HD and it was single slot, it did not heat up that much and it ran games quiet well. Would a XFX GeForce 9800 GT Single Slot be okay?
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 8:23:37 AM

I'm not so familiar with one slot card.
What is your mobo? can u give a link?
U said that your card won't fit, on mobo or on the case?
m
l
January 3, 2010 8:37:20 AM

wa1 said:
I'm not so familiar with one slot card.
What is your mobo? can u give a link?
U said that your card won't fit, on mobo or on the case?

Okay, my Mobo name is;

Motherboard Name Dell Dimension E520

And im guessing thats the case to? I got a Dell case.

Other Spects:

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 200 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth 6400 MB/s

Hope you can help.

BTW my mobo looks something like this, if not prolly the same.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6977/imgp1911a.jpg
m
l
January 3, 2010 8:40:04 AM

You haven't given enough information. Exactly where is it hitting? Is the heatsink fan shroud hitting components on the motherboard or is the metal bracket too wide? If the shroud is hitting maybe you could file a notch. (Goodbye warranty!) If the bracket is too wide, you could scrounge a single bracket that might work.
m
l
January 3, 2010 8:44:58 AM

rsmith13 said:
You haven't given enough information. Exactly where is it hitting? Is the heatsink fan shroud hitting components on the motherboard or is the metal bracket too wide? If the shroud is hitting maybe you could file a notch. (Goodbye warranty!) If the bracket is too wide, you could scrounge a single bracket that might work.

This isnt a picture from my case, although i found someone with the same problem and this is basicly happening.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1333/videocard008.jpg
m
l
January 3, 2010 8:46:21 AM

wa1 said:
Basically, u can use the same board with bigger case...

but wait, is this your computer?
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/dimen_e520/pd.as...

Yup thats my exact PC. Exept i got a new PSU for it today also with new Grpahics card, my 9800gt.

What do you mean bigger case? So my card is fine with this mobo?; i mean, i just need a bigger case and everything will fit fine? IF this is true then what case is recommended for me? Saying the price range is 50$ - $100 Candaian dollars, anything good?
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 8:55:04 AM

That's why i didn't like DELL, with that configuration u can't use dual slot card on that.
I have no idea how to solve this, never had dell's products before... :( 
What is that black square thing that prevent u to use 2 slot card?
m
l
January 3, 2010 8:58:12 AM

wa1 said:
That's why i didn't like DELL, with that configuration u can't use dual slot card on that.
I have no idea how to solve this, never had dell's products before... :( 
What is that black square thing that prevent u to use 2 slot card?

Aww, okay :( .

And what do you mean the black square thing? On the case or in the mobo?
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 9:10:41 AM

On the mobo inside your case...
I think that's a CPU cooler that prevent u to use dual slot card.

Anyone can help us? Dell users?
m
l
January 3, 2010 9:20:24 AM

wa1 said:
On the mobo inside your case...
I think that's a CPU cooler that prevent u to use dual slot card.

Anyone can help us? Dell users?

Oh yeah thats deffenitly the CPU but on my case it wont fit to the right. At the slot position.

This is basicly whats happening, but in my case, my case would close.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9655/imagealtered.jpg
m
l
January 3, 2010 9:59:35 AM

Maybe you can just leave the case open ?
m
l

Best solution

January 3, 2010 10:31:58 AM

FizalX said:
Oh yeah thats deffenitly the CPU but on my case it wont fit to the right. At the slot position.

This is basicly whats happening, but in my case, my case would close.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9655/imagealtered.jpg

So if i understand correctly, it's only the bracket that is preventing you from using the card?

Is there enough space to fit the card under the CPU cooler? If so, just cut the extra metal bracket off. It doesnt reall have any purpose since the fan on that card is not pushing air out thru it.

Naturally it will void your card warranty ...
a c 1362 U Graphics card
a c 1097 V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 1:53:21 PM

lafontma said:
So if i understand correctly, it's only the bracket that is preventing you from using the card?

Is there enough space to fit the card under the CPU cooler? If so, just cut the extra metal bracket off. It doesnt reall have any purpose since the fan on that card is not pushing air out thru it.

Either cut as suggested or there is a possibility that the bracket from the old card can be swapped instead of the double one.
The third option is getting a single slot 9800GT instead.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 2:26:30 PM

lafontma said:

+1
Even if the card doesn't fit under the shroud a little trimming of it will allow for dual slot cards to fit, and the backplate can be cut to allow for the dual slot bracket.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/nightpath/DSCF019...
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 2:57:28 PM

Now i know how's it work... Thanks guys for the info. :) 
m
l
January 3, 2010 5:21:34 PM

rolli59 said:
Either cut as suggested or there is a possibility that the bracket from the old card can be swapped instead of the double one.
The third option is getting a single slot 9800GT instead.

How could i swap the dual swap bracket into a single slot bracket? So my 9800GT will be a single slot?
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
a c 1097 V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 5:34:31 PM

Take a look at how the retention bracket is attached to the card's on some of them it is easy to take them of.
m
l
January 3, 2010 5:51:47 PM

I'd say you should take a picture of your case with the current GPU and the 9800 in it so people can get a better idea of what's going on.

But it seems like you have it figured out for the most part now.
Also, I would imagine having a dual-slot card with just one bracket holding it would cause undue stress on the computer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 5:58:14 PM

FizalX said:
This isnt a picture from my case, although i found someone with the same problem and this is basicly happening.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1333/videocard008.jpg

From that picture you can cut off the second slot of the retainer bracket, the only thing on the 2nd slot is the grill for the air.

You should have done your research, this was REALLY simple, look inside the case.
m
l
January 3, 2010 7:12:27 PM

How do i unscrew the dual slot bracket? And the single slot bracket aswell? I well take a picture now so you guys can fully understand whats going on.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 7:16:09 PM

Either use a saw & cut the dual slot bracket into a single slot, or find a single slot one that works.
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
a c 1097 V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 7:24:10 PM

Most cards I have taken it of, is by screwing out the hex shaped socket's for the monitor cable they usually double up as screws and are threaded into the monitor ports that are soldered onto the board. I just checked on my spare Sapphire X1950 pro and that is all that is holding the bracket on.
m
l
January 3, 2010 7:46:57 PM

I see two screws on mine, but everytime i unscrew both, the double bracket wont come off, i think the ports are some how screwed into the bracket aswell.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 8:18:27 PM

Reread rolli's last post
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
a c 1097 V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 8:27:30 PM

On these pictures I see a screw above the HDMI port, a screw at the top of the pcb in like a small diagonal bracket sticking out and the hex shaped monitor cable sockets around the VGA DVI ports they screw into the sockets. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...
m
l
January 3, 2010 8:37:27 PM

rolli59 said:
On these pictures I see a screw above the HDMI port, a screw at the top of the pcb in like a small diagonal bracket sticking out and the hex shaped monitor cable sockets around the VGA DVI ports they screw into the sockets. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

Oh okay, so how do i unscrew the VGA and the DVI ports? What tool would be need.
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
a c 1097 V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 8:55:29 PM

A small wrench or spanner (depending on country) or a good set of pliers or a small socket would be best since least change of rounding the hex.
(If you are going to cut it I recommend taking it of the card anyway, most likely the port configuration is different on the old card)
m
l
January 3, 2010 11:28:36 PM

Okay, im going to try this right now thanks for all the help guys. I hope it works.
m
l
January 3, 2010 11:55:12 PM

THANKS SO MUCH!! Thank you everyone for helping and posting suggestions.

MAINLY i thank WA1 for hes constant time and effort and also for roll159 for finding the problem!! the card is dling drivers right now! THANKS SO MUCH!!
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
a c 1097 V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 11:56:44 PM

Enjoy!
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 12:25:52 AM

When looking at the pictures, I saw you had a Radeon 4870 to begin with. Is a 9800GT an upgrade?

Looking at the charts, I believe you are downgrading your graphics card. What is wrong with your 4870? What prompted you to get a 9800GT?
m
l
January 4, 2010 12:35:22 AM

bystander said:
When looking at the pictures, I saw you had a Radeon 4870 to begin with. Is a 9800GT an upgrade?

Looking at the charts, I believe you are downgrading your graphics card. What is wrong with your 4870? What prompted you to get a 9800GT?

I wouldn't imagine anyone downgrading to a 9800GT as an upgrade, but apparently, it is.
The 4870 probably died or something.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 1:21:57 AM

bystander said:

I thought that too but it's actually a 4670, a 4870's stock cooler is way larger.
m
l
January 4, 2010 1:31:45 AM

Yeah its a radeon 4670 HD, my new one is a MSi N9800GT.
m
l
!