Can my PSU rails get the job done?

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
:hello: Im new to the forums and this will be my first post and first question. To keep this simple i have a psu 700w http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=CL-700B&details=spec&subcategory=120mm&category=single thats a link to the factory info page. I need to know if my 12v 16A rails can handle a gtx 260 216 overclocked. About 570w is dedicated to the multiple rails but im not sure if 2 of those rails combined will be sufficient enough for my build.

And my components are as follows:
i5-750 not overclocked (as of now)
2x 120mm fans
Artic freezer pro 2 heatsink
2x 4gb ddr3 1333
And my case has 2 additional fans 140mm, and 2 80/90mm fans.

I figured the 16A x 2 = 32A which is under the recommended 38A by the BFG site ( http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgegtx260mc896ocxde.aspx ) I was hoping that the 38A was a massive overkill number to keep them safe but i cant be to sure. Thanks for reading

shovenose

Distinguished
coolmax is quite lousy.
if the rails have a max of 32amp then dont use a 38amp card. yes its a rather overblown number but at full load, it may use nearly that much. also, since coolmax is crap anyway, that psu would DIE or NOT last very long. it might deliver unstable power or fry ur compnents when i goes BANG SIZZLE...
get this psu instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

a bit overkill but it has capacity for future upgrades, CORSAIR IS A HGH QUALITY BRAND, and it has 70amps on the single 12v rail

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I already own the PSU as of 2/10/2010 but do you think the PSU would last a week or 2 with the 260 in use? Im fine with upgrading it or possibly sending it back but im more concerned with the "bang sizzle" part :-/

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
well it was a budget buy and anything past the Watts i didnt pay attention too. Well ill try it out and if it fails to boot ill have to wait till tuesday at midnight turning into weds. to buy a new psu but luckily tonight at 2a.m. it will skip forward to 3 a.m. so i wont have to wait that much longer :lol:

I'm a little bit confused by the posts. The link took me to the Coolmax CL700B. The data label on that psu shows three +12 volts rails at 16 amps and one +12 volt rails rated at 12 amps. That is very unusual for a 700 watt power supply. If it's anything like the other coolmax psu's it does not have 4 independent +12 volt rails.

You cannot add the amps listed for each +12 volt rail to get the combined total. Instead, you have to take the maximum wattage for the +12 volt rail and divide by 12 volts. For the model that was linked to thats 570 watts divided by 12 volts = 47.50 amps.

I just checked a few of my references. The technical reviews for Coolmax power supplies are all pretty bad. The psu's are not what they are advertised to be. Coomax is to be avoided.

Corsair and Seasonic are two of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

When on a budget, there are certain things you should not relegate to a budget, the PSU is one of those. If it goes it can take your whole system with it, then saving money on the PSU turned into throwing money away on the entire system.

Even the good PSU brands have the occational lemon, but using a *** brand is like playing russian roulette with your system, its not a guarantee, but there is a good possibility something will go really really wrong.

Shoulda spent an extra 50 bucks and got this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

or 40 bucks more and got the 650w model.

And not to be an ass, but one of the stupidest things you can do is throw a PSU in your system that you are not sure if it can power your system correctly and turn it on, especially a questionable brand that may provide unstable power to begin with.

For the love of all things holy, please listen to the people here. I see too many threads where people come here for advice and direction, and when they dont like what they hear they go and do the exact opposite.

Again, not saying popping that thing in your system and powering it on will infact ruin your system, but if it does, dont come crying back here asking what needs to be done to bring your paperweight back online. When people kept telling you not to use that PSU.

shovenose

Distinguished

GOOD JOB I LIKE IT + AGREE!!!