Sign in with
Your question

Correcting inverted image in Window XP

Last response: in Windows XP
July 30, 2012 12:10:27 PM

I have tried Ctrl/Alt/Up arrow and down arrow without success to invert my screen back to normal. I have Googled for alternative approaches and have been offered suggestions about having the wrong video card - but I have had this PC in use for about eight years and it has not happened before.

I am sending this on my laptop, which is standing in as my 'work' computer until I can sort out the PC - I am a freelance journalist. I am also getting old (71) but not stupid, although my sight is not good and working on a laptop instead of my usual large screen is giving me eyestrain.

Any thoughts in plain language that a non-geek can understand?

Ivor Matanle
a b D Laptop
July 30, 2012 3:07:01 PM

ivorjourno said:
I have tried Ctrl/Alt/Up arrow and down arrow without success to invert my screen back to normal. I have Googled for alternative approaches and have been offered suggestions about having the wrong video card - but I have had this PC in use for about eight years and it has not happened before.

I am sending this on my laptop, which is standing in as my 'work' computer until I can sort out the PC - I am a freelance journalist. I am also getting old (71) but not stupid, although my sight is not good and working on a laptop instead of my usual large screen is giving me eyestrain.

Any thoughts in plain language that a non-geek can understand?

Ivor Matanle

Not second guessing you, but Ctrl/ALT up arrow or down arrow works. Are you waiting for it to complete ?
Holding down ctrl/alt, then pressing the arrow key ?
The screen should turn blank, in few seconds upright itself.
July 30, 2012 4:50:45 PM

ksiemb said:
Not second guessing you, but Ctrl/ALT up arrow or down arrow works. Are you waiting for it to complete ?
Holding down ctrl/alt, then pressing the arrow key ?
The screen should turn blank, in few seconds upright itself.

Yes, thank you, I understand what you say and had been told that before. I just tried again, holding the keys down for a minute or more each in up arrow and down arrow mode, but, to put it simply, nothing happens, I have encountered, while Googling for an answer, other accounts from XP users who have exactly the same problem, and a couple of geek-type answers that say that whether it works with XP depends on the details of the video card that is fitted.

I have also during today run a full malware scan on the computer, finding nothing, and am about to run an Avira acan to see if it finds a virus - apparently there is a virus whose creator thinks it is funny to turn everybody's acreens upside down.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

Ivor Matanle
a b D Laptop
July 30, 2012 5:17:40 PM

1) Turn the monitor upside-down. No, this is not sarcasm; then you will be able to read it for step 2. Or stand behind it and look down on it.

2) Right-click on Desktop, select Properties, go into the Appearance tab, and select Advanced. Different video card drivers tend to install their own control interface here. You will look for a "rotation" control and either cancel the incorrect 180 degree rotation or put in a spurious one.

The key shortcuts that were discussed are enabled by some drivers and not enabled by others, although you can usually set them up once you get into that Advanced setup.
!