Upgrading an Aging Gaming PC

I'm looking to upgrade my old gaming PC. As it stands now, my computer consists of:
2.40 GHz Duo Core processor
8800GTS (640 mb) video card
Asus P5B-E motherboard
2 GB DDR2 RAM

What I'm looking at for upgrades:
-Asus 5850 ATI videocard
-BIOSTAR T5 XE CFX-SLI LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel i5 750 CPU
-Sunbeam PSU-COM680-BK-US 680W ATX12V Modular Active PFC Power Supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I have a couple of Questions regarding this upgrade.
1. Are all parts compatible?
2. Could anything be changed/altered to provide benefits without exceeding a ~110 budget(Canadian currency)?
3. How large of an improvement will I see over my old system?
12 answers Last reply
More about upgrading aging gaming
  1. 1. Why wouldn't they?

2. $1100 or $110? Regardless, unless the Sunbeam is a Nuuo, it's a no no. :) Can't you find a Antec, Corsair, Fortron, FSP, etc.?

3. Day and night away in general desktop and light years away in gaming.
  2. 1. Some motherboards don't accept certain RAM and the like I think?
    2. I did mean 1100$, sorry about that.
    3. Yay.

What is a Nuuo?

I was also wondering if someone could recommend a decent CPU cooler? I'm interested in some conservative overclocking, perhaps to around 3.2 GHz.
  3. A bump is permissible?
  4. the psu is crap get an antec,corsair,enermax,ocz power supply instead
  5. Vorpal said:

I was also wondering if someone could recommend a decent CPU cooler? I'm interested in some conservative overclocking, perhaps to around 3.2 GHz.

CM's Hyper 212+
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=hyper_212%2b-_-35-103-065-_-Product

More than a decent cpu cooler. You will have no problem overclocking to 3.2, and I say that with utmost certainty as your rig is nearly identical to mine (I also run an i5 on a t5 xe CFX/SLI with ripjaws :D).
  6. Sunbeam Nuuo is acceptable, but the rest of their line is not. Get something else just to be safe. 500W or higher.
  7. How is the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W PSU?
  8. I'm wondering whether I'm better off with a Gigabyte UD3 over the Biostar T5 XE, they're both 150$ so I'm really torn, I understand Gigabyte has a good reputation?
  9. Yep, Earthwatts is one of the better PSUs.

You mean this one? It doesn't do SLI, but it can do USB 3, SATA 6 & CF. The Biostar would be a better board, IMO, cuz you could jump ship to nvidia next year and sli w/o upgrading the mobo. Unless you're dead set on ATI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412
  10. Thanks for the reply, I'm not one to get dead set on any manufacturer, I just noticed they were the same price and I'm trying to weigh all my options. I've finally decided on this PSU http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019 because of the 60$ off total. I assume it's pretty good?
  11. Not bad for a $65 PSU.
  12. Then it appears my build is finalized, I will enjoy tearing through Mass Effect 2 with it :). Thanks alot for all the help guys.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product