New to Sims2 - Familyties :-)

Kate

Hi

I hope someone here can lead me in the right direction.
I have only played this gave for a few weeks now and never played any
other sim game.
I made a family last night or so I thought. I let them buy a house
together and moved them in. After buying them the necessities like
fridge, bed and bath room they went out to meet people. That was fine
but the reason I made a new family was that the first one I made
consisted of one person and before he got married and had child he was
old so he died when the child was still a toodler.
I wanted to make a real family but it seems these to people don't know
they were supposed to be a couple. How do I make them understand that
they are?

--
Kate

Ved privat svar fjern spamme.
If you want to reach me remove spamme.

When you made them did you make them husband and wife or just roomates?
It's in the create-a-sim part. The symbol that looks like a family tree
layout (has vertical lines connecting circles). After you make both sims,
click that symbol to go to the relationship section and then drag one over
to another and it will give you a choice of roomate or spouse.

Kate wrote:
> Hi
>
> I hope someone here can lead me in the right direction.
> I have only played this gave for a few weeks now and never played any
> other sim game.
> I made a family last night or so I thought. I let them buy a house
> together and moved them in. After buying them the necessities like
> fridge, bed and bath room they went out to meet people. That was fine
> but the reason I made a new family was that the first one I made
> consisted of one person and before he got married and had child he was
> old so he died when the child was still a toodler.
> I wanted to make a real family but it seems these to people don't know
> they were supposed to be a couple. How do I make them understand that
> they are?

At this point you have to marry them. Get them engaged, buy a wedding
arch, and click it to tell them to marry.

During character creation, before you accept the family, there's an
opportunity to create their married status.

Kate

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> wrote in

> When you made them did you make them husband and wife or just
> roomates? It's in the create-a-sim part. The symbol that looks
> like a family tree layout (has vertical lines connecting circles).
> After you make both sims, click that symbol to go to the
> relationship section and then drag one over to another and it will
> give you a choice of roomate or spouse.

Oh, I didn't do anything like that. Didn't even think to check for that
I guess it's too late now that they obviously think they're room mates
:-(
Must try what ToolPackinMama suggests then.

--

ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in

> At this point you have to marry them. Get them engaged, buy a
> wedding arch, and click it to tell them to marry.

Will they accept a marriage just like that or will I have to go through
boyfriend/girlfriend fase first?

With my last creation he met at girl and I made him woo (is that the
term?) her and she was ecstatic when he asked her to be engaged and
moved in on the spot when asked. But it took forever for me to find out
how to woohoo and make a baby. By the time I learned he was an old man
:-( Now I wanted to get an early start.

Well, thanks for anwering. Most see tomorrow what I can do.

--

On 08 May 2005 21:01:42 GMT, Kate <km1111dljspamme@oliwer.dk> wrote:

> ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in
>
>> At this point you have to marry them. Get them engaged, buy a
>> wedding arch, and click it to tell them to marry.
>
> Will they accept a marriage just like that or will I have to go through
> boyfriend/girlfriend fase first?

If they like each other, flirting should set make them fall in love
immediately. If one of the sims has family ambitions, he or she will
probably want to be engaged the next time a wish turns over. This should
give a good sum of aspiration points. After this, he or she will want a
wedding party, which is also worth a lot of points. Even if these wants
don't come up, as long as the couple really like each other they will
quickly marry if you first flirt, then engage and then marry. It should be
possible to do it all in one day, and then try for baby. ^_^
(Yeah, not very realistic right there...)

Be aware that the one who proposes marriage is the one whose last name
will stick with the whole family, even if it does not say so on the
neighborhood screen.

good sign." -G

Kate

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote in

> Be aware that the one who proposes marriage is the one whose last
> name will stick with the whole family, even if it does not say so
> on the neighborhood screen.

Wel, taht one is easy as I made then as a family that have the same
last name. And I made them both outgoing nice persons with a wish to
have a family so that should be doable :)

BTW, is there no way to see houses before moving in? I bought one that
had no room for furniture and the bath room was so small it could only
contain a toilet and a shower and I haven't had the money to expand a
house yet. That is, not unless I cheat with the motherlode. I'd like to
start with out cheating :)

--
Kate

Ved privat svar fjern spamme.
If you want to reach me remove spamme.

> BTW, is there no way to see houses before moving in? I bought one that
> had no room for furniture and the bath room was so small it could only
> contain a toilet and a shower and I haven't had the money to expand a
> house yet. That is, not unless I cheat with the motherlode. I'd like to
> start with out cheating :)

Sure, go to build mode in neighbourhood screen, then click the house you
want to see. And I agree about cheating :)

Emil

> fridge, bed and bath room they went out to meet people. That was fine
> but the reason I made a new family was that the first one I made
> consisted of one person and before he got married and had child he was
> old so he died when the child was still a toodler.

It's possible to make a sim younger without cheating. There is a machine
(can't remeber the name of the machine) you can drink from, which makes you
younger (or older if your aspirations is low). I use the machine to keep
them adult for a loooong time, so they have plenty of time to their careers
and family.

Emil

Emil Jensen [2100] wrote:

>>fridge, bed and bath room they went out to meet people. That was fine
>>but the reason I made a new family was that the first one I made
>>consisted of one person and before he got married and had child he was
>>old so he died when the child was still a toodler.
>

> It's possible to make a sim younger without cheating. There is a machine
> (can't remeber the name of the machine) you can drink from, which makes you
> younger (or older if your aspirations is low). I use the machine to keep
> them adult for a loooong time, so they have plenty of time to their careers
> and family.

The Elixir of Life. I use that a lot too, but if they've already made an
age transition, it won't move them back.

On Mon, 9 May 2005 16:24:46 +0200, Emil Jensen [2100] <lime@jensen73.dk>
wrote:

>> fridge, bed and bath room they went out to meet people. That was fine
>> but the reason I made a new family was that the first one I made
>> consisted of one person and before he got married and had child he was
>> old so he died when the child was still a toodler.
>
> It's possible to make a sim younger without cheating. There is a machine
> (can't remeber the name of the machine) you can drink from, which makes
> you
> younger (or older if your aspirations is low). I use the machine to keep
> them adult for a loooong time, so they have plenty of time to their
> careers and family.

I would even say that the Elixir of Life is a feature rather than a cheat.
The ridiculously short adult life phase simply does not allow people to
raise more than a couple kids, and then only if they sacrifice their
career. I believe the idea is that an early death is the punishment for
ignoring your destiny in life. If you live contrary to your life goals
then you will not be able to "afford" the Elixir and will live a short and
unhappy life.
In fact, this feature is mentioned already in the Bible, which says
(Proverbs 13,12):
"Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."
^_^

good sign." -G

On 09 May 2005 08:40:03 GMT, Kate <km1111dljspamme@oliwer.dk> wrote:

> BTW, is there no way to see houses before moving in? I bought one that
> had no room for furniture and the bath room was so small it could only
> contain a toilet and a shower and I haven't had the money to expand a
> house yet. That is, not unless I cheat with the motherlode. I'd like to
> start with out cheating :)

In house mode in the neighborhood screen you can both look and change the
houses. But if you add things in build or buy mode, then the house will
become more expensive too, so there is not a lot of difference from
building after you move in. I think it is a bit cheaper, but you still
have to take care or you cannot buy it as a first home.

One way some people do is send a character they don't care about to live
in the house for a while so the value goes down. If the other person
eventually dies there, the furniture is still there when you move in. Then
again, so is the ghost... But even if that other person moves out, the
house will be cheaper after being used. Even walls, windows and
wallpapers lose value when used for a time.

good sign." -G

Kate

"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in

> The Elixir of Life.

Yeah, I recond that was what Emil meant, only I don't know what it's
called in danish (both Emil and I are from Denmark).
I must look for it next time I get time to play.

--

> In house mode in the neighborhood screen you can both look and
> change the houses. But if you add things in build or buy mode,
> then the house will become more expensive too, so there is not a
> lot of difference from building after you move in. I think it is
> a bit cheaper, but you still have to take care or you cannot buy
> it as a first home.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Well, actually I made a caracter that I
regretted. Then I made this pair that I am asking about and the
caracter I had regretted suddetly turned up to greet the apir. I was
surprised but had no doubt that he was my creation. The name was danish
and his looks very what I gave him *teehee*.

> One way some people do is send a character they don't care about
> to live in the house for a while so the value goes down. If the
> other person eventually dies there, the furniture is still there
> when you move in. Then again, so is the ghost... But even if that
> other person moves out, the house will be cheaper after being
> used. Even walls, windows and wallpapers lose value when used for
> a time.

I hadn't noticed that.Hmmm, must see when I can paly again, hopefully
tomorrow :)

--

Kate wrote:

> "Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in
>

>>The Elixir of Life.
>

> Yeah, I recond that was what Emil meant, only I don't know what it's
> called in danish (both Emil and I are from Denmark).
> I must look for it next time I get time to play.

It's the one that costs 30,000 points and looks like a water-cooler.
It's the last one in the lineup.

Kate

"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in news:bOydnQ-
oR76guBnfRVn-qQ@comcast.com:

> It's the one that costs 30,000 points and looks like a water-cooler.
> It's the last one in the lineup.

Thanks. I must save up for it or use the motherlode cheat :)

--

On 13 May 2005 14:54:33 GMT, Kate <km1111dljspamme@oliwer.dk> wrote:

> "Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in news:bOydnQ-
> oR76guBnfRVn-qQ@comcast.com:
>
>> It's the one that costs 30,000 points and looks like a water-cooler.
>> It's the last one in the lineup.
>
> Thanks. I must save up for it or use the motherlode cheat :)

Alas, it can only be bought for Aspiration Points, not simoleons, so the
motherlode cheat is only helpful if you have a sim that wants objects you
can buy. Fulfill as many wants as possible to afford a longer life for
your Sims!

I have found that Sims with Family ambition can live practically forever,
if they keep raising children. I am not sure if there is an upper limit
to how many children you can have, but up to 10 at least. And then they go
platinum again when they get grandchildren! ^_^

good sign." -G