First time watercooling

@rubix_1011 i sent him here to ask you for help since i am still new to watercooling and just know the basics he wants a 670 with a pre-built waterblock on it. And help figuring out what would fit his case i suggested to him a rasa kit what do you think ?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
He's going to overpay for a 670+pre-installed block and would likely be something like a Hydrocopper, which aren't the best anyway. He's much better off finding a reference PCB GTX 670 and matching block, then installing himself. If you are going to build a watercooling loop and maintain it, you'd better be able to pull a stock cooler and install a waterblock...otherwise, it's high time to learn how. There are 1000's of YouTube videos that show you how on many different cards and blocks, but essentially they are all very much the same.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I've taken my gpu apart before and put it back together. Which i'm told that's the hardest part cause it's easy to break your GPU. So, it shouldn't be a big issue to do it manually.

The website i found that did pre-built i found again but only does ati cards i guess. the powercolor.com or something.
which I'm still reading a lot in the WC guide forum. a lot to read. so any tips that aren't very direct in it would be nice :)

as far as other things. What additional hardware would go well with a WC build(temp monitors, fan controllers etc etc.)? If it's in the guide I'll get to it eventually just figured I'd ask.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I will let you know. I like to figure most stuff out on my own. It doesn't really seem that hard. remove the cooler slap on the thing tighten screws. Obviously from an inexperienced point of view. But, I mean i can't see it being That hard really. I think the biggest difficulty will be my fear of turning it on and being afraid of leaks all over my new hardware.

as far as the Upkeep goes yes that's something I'll need to learn and will in time. first I must read about the initial steps into building it :p

o.k. :) P.S. This is what he needs right http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16597/ex-blc-1176/EK_GeForce_670_GTX_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Acrylic_CSQ_EK-FC670_GTX_CSQ.html?tl=g30c311s1708 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-785&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Thanks actually i'm not sure what the deal is have not heard from him since yesterday if i don't hear from him in a day or so i will chalk it up as a lost cause maybe he changed his mind you know how it goes and i never have took a liking to that case either allot of people i know really like it i can't figure out why though lol i guess different strokes for different folks.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

went to the drawing board. literally. I saw you building a case so i started drawing up sketches for my own. I've built many many desks very nice ones so I figured another desk built entirely around the chassis itself. So far it's turning out simply to be massive which i have the space for :D.

The thermaltake 10 GT is a very cheap case for it's price I like it cause it's nice big etc and has a window not many cases for it's price have all that. But, it's very cheap the Harddrive Sata ports on the back for the hot swap bays are very easy to break one wrong bend puling cord by accident anything and it comes right off. many other issues as well but anywho.

Figure i'll build the chassis separate from my Desk and have it set up to go right under it in a perfect fit kinda way. Trying to make it unique as well. Figure the entire thing will be plexiglass or something that is completely clear.

So far I've determine the case is going to be a box on wheels since this is the first one I'm building. simple square. The inside however will be very unique. it will consist of multiple separate layers.

The very bottom will consist of entirely mesh fitting that will be interchangeable. as of course a few powerful fans will make up majority of the bottom. the center of the bottom or maybe one of the sides not sure yet will have the PSU. All the cords will go up through the corners through square tubing. all but a few. The cable management will be put to extremes.
Each layer will actually consist of 2 layers (for cords and neatness) The motherboard will sit on it's own sheet of plastic and then there will be another sheet a few inches under it. Fans will be on the very bottom sheet blowing upwards. Mesh will also be on those fans individually. Then to have the air flow up. The sheet above the fans will likely consist of small holes with mesh on it. The motherboard will probably be either in the center of it's sheet. Not sure yet on locations for everything. But, basically there will be a plastic piece that will come up on the motherboard layer for it to fit in snugly, for it's ports and such will All be run through the the plastic to the second layer and run up through the corners. The Hd bays will sit on either side left or right of the Mobo. Most likely I'll add some kind of thing so the cage can be moved to either side cause i like the ability to change things around. Then above the motherboard layer will be the final layer for disc drives and things of the such. will. Then above that the top will have the Large high RPM exhaust fans. Which Each layer Will have several fans blowing air upwards. The I believe I'll have an intake fan or 2 on the front for the GPUs. Most likely having the mobo position so their facing that way.
Adjust ability will be high in this case. Figure I'll actually have each layer set up that it can Slide in and out. So for the motherboard layer example, need to put a new backplate on. It will likely be easier to slide out the entire Layer (only top part of this layer.) each layer will likely be locked to the base with a simple metal turn key deal to be sure they don't slide out by accident. Dust will also be reduced with all the mesh :D

I think this idea has potential. the plan is to give me as I said high adjust ability. I figure if I'm comfortable by the time I build it I could probably build a Reservoirs Right on the very bottom. Right now I'm just drawing out my ideas until I come up with something that I really like. I do know I want this case to last I will probably put a good 1,000$ into the entire thing excluding the desk. My desks are usually made of very nice solid wood. although to have it look good together may have to make the desk out of plastic or glass. HRMM o.0

Edit: thinking of having motherboard layer slanted making it more visible towards the front.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

probably but I think it'll be really fun doing this. then as i get better with specifically computer cases I could probably go insane and build some really nice ones. More or less. it's like building my computer I pick what parts and quality goes in it. I never got to do that for a case. I think this gives me that chance. 100% best quality.

But, then again I hear good things about the original thermaltake 10. 900$ case. lol welp I mostly want to try this for the experience;D

Plus, I honestly have always prefer'd flat box cases. where everything isn't on it's side.