Sign in with
Your question

First time watercooling

Last response: in Overclocking
August 6, 2012 10:03:42 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/357734-31-grand#t2695...

Original build thread.
Was suggested to come here to continue my hunt for this.

I am looking right now for a 670 with a pre-built waterblock on it. I remember finding a place for them before but can't recall where it was.

Also, radiator and other components for a thermaltake 10 GT. I am looking myself but i don't have great knowledge for watercooling.

More about : time watercooling

a c 324 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 2:30:10 PM

Please read through the watercooling sticky linked below.
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 3:21:05 PM

@rubix_1011 i sent him here to ask you for help since i am still new to watercooling and just know the basics he wants a 670 with a pre-built waterblock on it. And help figuring out what would fit his case i suggested to him a rasa kit what do you think ?
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 3:43:40 PM

He's going to overpay for a 670+pre-installed block and would likely be something like a Hydrocopper, which aren't the best anyway. He's much better off finding a reference PCB GTX 670 and matching block, then installing himself. If you are going to build a watercooling loop and maintain it, you'd better be able to pull a stock cooler and install a waterblock...otherwise, it's high time to learn how. There are 1000's of YouTube videos that show you how on many different cards and blocks, but essentially they are all very much the same.
August 6, 2012 3:48:37 PM

I've taken my gpu apart before and put it back together. Which i'm told that's the hardest part cause it's easy to break your GPU. So, it shouldn't be a big issue to do it manually.

The website i found that did pre-built i found again but only does ati cards i guess. the powercolor.com or something.
which I'm still reading a lot in the WC guide forum. a lot to read. so any tips that aren't very direct in it would be nice :) 

as far as other things. What additional hardware would go well with a WC build(temp monitors, fan controllers etc etc.)? If it's in the guide I'll get to it eventually just figured I'd ask.
August 6, 2012 4:03:01 PM

you build sir has inspired me too attempt the same one day. since i need a case for my other components I think that's exactly what I'll try to do. I'll have many headaches >..>
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 4:23:59 PM

I can look around and add some videos to the sticky for 'how-to' do some items like installing a GPU block, flushing radiators, etc. If you run across any you'd like me to consider, send me the links in a PM.
August 6, 2012 4:28:03 PM

I will let you know. I like to figure most stuff out on my own. It doesn't really seem that hard. remove the cooler slap on the thing tighten screws. Obviously from an inexperienced point of view. But, I mean i can't see it being That hard really. I think the biggest difficulty will be my fear of turning it on and being afraid of leaks all over my new hardware.

as far as the Upkeep goes yes that's something I'll need to learn and will in time. first I must read about the initial steps into building it :p 
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 4:45:48 PM

It's reference!
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 6:40:25 PM

rubix_1011 said:
He's going to overpay for a 670+pre-installed block and would likely be something like a Hydrocopper, which aren't the best anyway. He's much better off finding a reference PCB GTX 670 and matching block, then installing himself. If you are going to build a watercooling loop and maintain it, you'd better be able to pull a stock cooler and install a waterblock...otherwise, it's high time to learn how. There are 1000's of YouTube videos that show you how on many different cards and blocks, but essentially they are all very much the same.
o.k. :)  P.S. This is what he needs right http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16597/ex-blc-1176/EK_... and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-130-...
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 6:44:23 PM

That would work as it's for nVidia reference for 670's.
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 6:46:33 PM

cool thanks
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 7:57:10 PM

:)  hmm goooood seeing bigcyco1 helping out on the WC'ing section :)  nice job there! SO how much has xavier progressed ? :sol: 

IMHO, I don't like the level 10 GT case - sucks aesthetically :) 
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 9:58:45 PM

Thanks actually i'm not sure what the deal is have not heard from him since yesterday if i don't hear from him in a day or so i will chalk it up as a lost cause maybe he changed his mind you know how it goes and i never have took a liking to that case either allot of people i know really like it i can't figure out why though lol i guess different strokes for different folks.
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 10:07:02 PM

:)  you and I should hang out sometime mate! ... could collaborate on an aesthetics tutorial here on Tom's :D 
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 10:23:22 PM

Lol..sounds like a plan to me. :D 
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 10:57:25 PM

not a date though bro :D 
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 11:04:47 PM

Good to know i don't think my wife or i would like that anyway :lol:  ;) 
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 11:05:45 PM

:lol:  mate your post was asking for a line like that :D 
August 7, 2012 5:01:01 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Thanks actually i'm not sure what the deal is have not heard from him since yesterday if i don't hear from him in a day or so i will chalk it up as a lost cause maybe he changed his mind you know how it goes and i never have took a liking to that case either allot of people i know really like it i can't figure out why though lol i guess different strokes for different folks.

went to the drawing board. literally. I saw you building a case so i started drawing up sketches for my own. I've built many many desks very nice ones so I figured another desk built entirely around the chassis itself. So far it's turning out simply to be massive which i have the space for :D .

The thermaltake 10 GT is a very cheap case for it's price I like it cause it's nice big etc and has a window not many cases for it's price have all that. But, it's very cheap the Harddrive Sata ports on the back for the hot swap bays are very easy to break one wrong bend puling cord by accident anything and it comes right off. many other issues as well but anywho.

Figure i'll build the chassis separate from my Desk and have it set up to go right under it in a perfect fit kinda way. Trying to make it unique as well. Figure the entire thing will be plexiglass or something that is completely clear.

So far I've determine the case is going to be a box on wheels since this is the first one I'm building. simple square. The inside however will be very unique. it will consist of multiple separate layers.

The very bottom will consist of entirely mesh fitting that will be interchangeable. as of course a few powerful fans will make up majority of the bottom. the center of the bottom or maybe one of the sides not sure yet will have the PSU. All the cords will go up through the corners through square tubing. all but a few. The cable management will be put to extremes.
Each layer will actually consist of 2 layers (for cords and neatness) The motherboard will sit on it's own sheet of plastic and then there will be another sheet a few inches under it. Fans will be on the very bottom sheet blowing upwards. Mesh will also be on those fans individually. Then to have the air flow up. The sheet above the fans will likely consist of small holes with mesh on it. The motherboard will probably be either in the center of it's sheet. Not sure yet on locations for everything. But, basically there will be a plastic piece that will come up on the motherboard layer for it to fit in snugly, for it's ports and such will All be run through the the plastic to the second layer and run up through the corners. The Hd bays will sit on either side left or right of the Mobo. Most likely I'll add some kind of thing so the cage can be moved to either side cause i like the ability to change things around. Then above the motherboard layer will be the final layer for disc drives and things of the such. will. Then above that the top will have the Large high RPM exhaust fans. Which Each layer Will have several fans blowing air upwards. The I believe I'll have an intake fan or 2 on the front for the GPUs. Most likely having the mobo position so their facing that way.
Adjust ability will be high in this case. Figure I'll actually have each layer set up that it can Slide in and out. So for the motherboard layer example, need to put a new backplate on. It will likely be easier to slide out the entire Layer (only top part of this layer.) each layer will likely be locked to the base with a simple metal turn key deal to be sure they don't slide out by accident. Dust will also be reduced with all the mesh :D 

I think this idea has potential. the plan is to give me as I said high adjust ability. I figure if I'm comfortable by the time I build it I could probably build a Reservoirs Right on the very bottom. Right now I'm just drawing out my ideas until I come up with something that I really like. I do know I want this case to last I will probably put a good 1,000$ into the entire thing excluding the desk. My desks are usually made of very nice solid wood. although to have it look good together may have to make the desk out of plastic or glass. HRMM o.0

Edit: thinking of having motherboard layer slanted making it more visible towards the front.
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 5:15:18 AM

There are better cases out there. ;) 
August 7, 2012 5:42:47 AM

amuffin said:
There are better cases out there. ;) 

probably but I think it'll be really fun doing this. then as i get better with specifically computer cases I could probably go insane and build some really nice ones. More or less. it's like building my computer I pick what parts and quality goes in it. I never got to do that for a case. I think this gives me that chance. 100% best quality.

But, then again I hear good things about the original thermaltake 10. 900$ case. lol welp I mostly want to try this for the experience;D

Plus, I honestly have always prefer'd flat box cases. where everything isn't on it's side.
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 10:33:50 AM

if thats what your looking at might want to check out lian li's EX-H32/33/34 units. mod it up and also have them as HDD hot swappers.
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 12:16:05 PM

the speeds will be determined by the sata ports on your mobo, it doesn't have any controller onboard that HDD rack.

I'm modding one to go inside my Vintage case mod
August 7, 2012 12:32:07 PM

Lutfij said:
the speeds will be determined by the sata ports on your mobo, it doesn't have any controller onboard that HDD rack.

I'm modding one to go inside my Vintage case mod

good to know. First case I'm building it's seeming rather complex but i love it. It'll be a good project for me :D 
August 7, 2012 12:35:05 PM

okay, now I want the case to be capable of fitting the biggest radiator I can. I'm assuming it's a 560mm? or something like that. if so how exactly big is it. would it be basically 4 140mm fans? or would it's size be bigger the fans?
what kind of weight can i expect from a rad that big loaded with fans? Figure I'll need extra support Cause it'll be above the motherboard.
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 1:31:58 PM

Well you don't need all that now since you decided not to get the 670's i would suggest you just get XSPC Raystorm RX360 kit and one of these cases Case:NZXT SWITCH 810 Matte Black CA-SW810-M1 Steel / Plastic ATX HYBIRD Full Tower Gaming Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
August 7, 2012 1:39:41 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Well you don't need all that now since you decided not to get the 670's i would suggest you just get XSPC Raystorm RX360 kit and one of these cases Case:NZXT SWITCH 810 Matte Black CA-SW810-M1 Steel / Plastic ATX HYBIRD Full Tower Gaming Computer Case

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I'm not getting them Now. But I will in time for certain. Right now I'm more focused on building the chassis. I figured I'll build it first and put the new stuff in it. more or less I'm planning on the build for later just as much as now.
It's not going to be cheap. I'll likely require a strong metal frame at least for the bottom to support the rad and all other weight. As far as the stuff I know I'm getting now. I'm Certain I'm going to WC the CPU. But, My questions are should I just go ahead and get the massive Rad now. Or spend money on a smaller one and get the bigger one later. I mean I'm going to get it eventually. I don't think it'll be a big difference as to when The rad won't die or anything I'd assume. I'd need a nice pump too as well as the other parts. Which parts that can die over time I will get better later. Parts that have no actual life span. I'd rather get the best I can now.

I'll probably Also, attempt to have fans on both sides of the rad. perhaps have it like \|{}/[ \=fan |=plastic support. [= exit
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 1:52:48 PM

Well go big then and have fun you'll have to have Lutfij or rubix_1011 help with this as i have just started getting into watercooling and have never watercooled GPU's personally i have always thought anybody that spends more than eight or nine hundred on watercooling is nuts lol.

a c 324 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 1:55:57 PM

GPU's benefit the most from watercooling...70-80C load temps to 40C load temps.
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 2:11:46 PM

Yeah but he decided to not get the 670's he thinking of watercooling 560 TI's imo that's a waste of money
August 7, 2012 2:16:46 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Yeah but he decided to not get the 670's he thinking of watercooling 560 TI's imo that's a waste of money

no no. what I meant was. Right now I'm Only WCing the CPU. I'll be WCing the 670s LATER when I get them and actually need them or something bigger and badder. I just want to pick parts to buy now that will be alive 100% later rather than buying something different now and something better later.

Anyways, I'm going to try to post a screen shot of my current blue print. relatively basic. shows where I want to attempt to put everything.
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 2:16:52 PM

I watercool my 560 Ti's, but I also already had the blocks.
August 7, 2012 2:21:12 PM

gamerxavier said:
no no. what I meant was. Right now I'm Only WCing the CPU. I'll be WCing the 670s LATER when I get them and actually need them or something bigger and badder. I just want to pick parts to buy now that will be alive 100% later rather than buying something different now and something better later.

Anyways, I'm going to try to post a screen shot of my current blue print. relatively basic. shows where I want to attempt to put everything.

Spoiler

okay got it to work.
a few notes: I'm still learning how to do some stuff with building this.
the motherboards height is based on the gpu/common heatsinks.
trying to determine how to run all cords. I know I want to somehow have hollow corners. so the cords in the drive bay area can drop straight down/go up. Figure each corner would have to be square and open somehow. Honestly shouldn't be too hard. That is also one reason for the extra space/support zone. My only question as I will likely require extensions to reach the upper area. will that reduce items performance? I'd assume not but to be sure.

It Is Not complete. Just want opinions on my current direction.
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:10:47 PM

a mountain mods case will accomplish that plus some more in their really insane tower case! :) 
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:13:30 PM

gamerxavier said:

Oh i misunderstood you then i thought you were planing on watercooling the 560 TI's that's why i was like :heink:  :lol: 
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:15:51 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I watercool my 560 Ti's, but I also already had the blocks.
Well that's a bit different since you already had the blocks it makes sense to me that you did that but to go out and buy all that for 560 TI's i just can't get behind that idea i am not feeling it but seems i misunderstood what hes trying to do now anyways ;) 
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:42:27 PM

Well I used 24” power extensions on my build and it did not seem to affect performance at all with regards to power, communication on the other hand is a completely different situation. If you are looking at extending the SATA lines I would suggest first buying the longest ones you can, the 36” and see if it is long enough for you. If not get the shielded cabling in an effort to try and prevent attenuation of the line, other than that what other types of communication lines do you have in the system?

** edit In other words if the line is too long and collects too much interference the MOBO won’t be able to talk to the drive **
August 7, 2012 5:06:56 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
Well I used 24” power extensions on my build and it did not seem to affect performance at all with regards to power, communication on the other hand is a completely different situation. If you are looking at extending the SATA lines I would suggest first buying the longest ones you can, the 36” and see if it is long enough for you. If not get the shielded cabling in an effort to try and prevent attenuation of the line, other than that what other types of communication lines do you have in the system?

** edit In other words if the line is too long and collects too much interference the MOBO won’t be able to talk to the drive **

if your regarding to the blue print that isn't built yet I'm still designing everything. I intend before building it knowing exactly all the limits I will have. 36" should easily be long enough.
!