Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gtx 560m overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
August 6, 2012 11:35:47 AM

I've been looking for answers all around but there seems to be mixed feelings about overclocking a laptop's GPU. Some say to never overclock a laptop's GPU no matter what kind it is (gaming or not) and some say it's okay if it is within safe heat temperatures. So I just want to get to the core of it.

Currently, my laptop has an NVIDIA gtx 560m graphics card. In a room with an 85F ambient temperature, idle temperatures sit around at 45C on stock clocks. At 99% GPU load, my temperature rises to about 81C. When I overclock it, the temperature at full load is about 83C. Games I play in this 85F room make my overclocked GPU hit 75C.

However, generally, my ambient temperatures are around 66F because of my AC. The reason I am not putting up temperatures with a 66F ambient temperature is simply because I am not around a properly working AC at this time and won't be until I go back to school.

Small other small pieces of information are I did recently clean out the dust with a vacuum cleaner and I did not replace the stock thermal paste.

So, are the temperatures safe enough to justify the overclock, or should I seriously not overclock it. Thank you!

More about : gtx 560m overclock

Best solution

a c 102 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 2:39:52 PM

as long as your temps are good....I have a 5850m card that I flashed a 5870m BIOS to....(basically just higher clock speeds) and my laptop handles it just fine....really you have benchmark and see if its worth it in games....run it at stock and get a good benchmark then run it on your oc'ed settings and see what the difference is...if its nothing substantial its not worth the decreased battery life and more heat production......just make sure you keep your temps under control 90c would be the absolute highest I would go.....also keep an eye on cpu temps the cooler might cool the cpu and gpu so by heating up the gpu it could cause your cpu temps to rise
August 7, 2012 12:13:45 AM

I see. I do believe my overclock does have quite a substantial effect in games. Thank you!
Related resources
August 7, 2012 12:13:54 AM

Best answer selected by eustice.
March 15, 2013 6:03:08 PM

drums101 said:
as long as your temps are good....I have a 5850m card that I flashed a 5870m BIOS to....(basically just higher clock speeds) and my laptop handles it just fine....really you have benchmark and see if its worth it in games....run it at stock and get a good benchmark then run it on your oc'ed settings and see what the difference is...if its nothing substantial its not worth the decreased battery life and more heat production......just make sure you keep your temps under control 90c would be the absolute highest I would go.....also keep an eye on cpu temps the cooler might cool the cpu and gpu so by heating up the gpu it could cause your cpu temps to rise

hey drums,
i have a Qosmio 560M that throttles when i oc it while i play crysis 2/3 or in a heavy graphics game, is there a way to flash mine ? my bios is v2.1 now .. cant find a way to fix the damn thing.
plus i was thinking of replace the card with the 670M .... what do you think ?
thnx
!