shwetankjuneja

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hey, Just want to know if a 6Gb/s HDD work on a 3Gb/s slot even at 3Gb/s as am getting a 2TB HDD at a cheaper price but it is @ 6Gb/s and the my MOBO support 3Gb/s...Please help... :)

Solution
Yes, it will work just fine. And the drive will run just as fast since no mechanical hard drive has platters that spin fast enough to transfer data at more than 3Gbit/sec.
^+1.

The only time that SATA would slow down a RAID set is if you're using a hardware RAID controller that connects to the system using SATA, such that every I/O request between Windows and the RAID controller has to go through the one SATA connection. I don't know of any such RAID controllers. The internal ones connect via PCIe, the external ones usually connect via the network.

4745454b

Titan
Sminlal, we might have had something similar pop up recently. We are waiting to hear back from the OP. He bought a PCIe 1x controller for his SSD and can't figure out why his read speeds are only ~200MBps. If he has this card plugged into a PCIe 1.0 port which tops out at 250MBps, then his 200MBps reading makes sense. He'd need to use a PCIe 2.0 which can move 500MBps if he wants his SSD to move faster. Not quite what you mentioned, but an example of how X connects to the system and you have a slow down.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. My point was that it's not SATA that's the bottleneck in these kinds of situations.