Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help with a UPS

Last response: in Components
March 13, 2010 5:23:24 PM

Hey all.

I just recently baught a UPS and noticed that there are a couple of connectivity options on it. There are a pair of RJ11 / RJ45 jacks and a DB9 jack. I was wondering what the DB9 or RS232 jack may be used for.

Any help is appreciated!

More about : ups

March 13, 2010 11:31:05 PM

The DB9 or RS232 jack may be used for power outage monitoring via a serial cable that might not have been provided with the UPS.
m
l
March 14, 2010 12:54:10 AM

no i didnt get a cable with the UPS but i know i can manage one if i know what i'm going to look for and what is it used for? i know of a friend who has an APC UPS and it shutsdown the pc automatically saving any work. Is this possible via the DB9 connection?
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2010 1:03:02 PM

What UPS do you have? A UPS normally includes a serial or a USB cable. It's possible to use a DB9 cable (you need to get the correct one for your UPS), but you also need a comm port on your system.
m
l
March 14, 2010 6:37:00 PM

its a taiwanesse brand, Apollo - 1200VA (1200F)

line interactive UPS f-series http://www.apollotw.com/products-li.html

kinda looks like this but with the PC connectors in a different order
http://www.itsupermarket.ro/img/produse/2914/baterie-ap...

why would i need a com port? I have 2 rigs, 1 with an Intel DG965RY - i plan on connecting the UPS with the Intel rig, the other (Asus Rampage Extreme) rig already has an UPS. But i dont have a com port on any of the 2 rigs :S

please advise
m
l
March 14, 2010 7:01:14 PM

The DG965RY has a 9-pin serial (comm) port. I know because I use that port to monitor a UPS. You'll have to get the correct serial cable from the UPS manufacturer.
m
l
March 14, 2010 11:15:40 PM

any precautions i need to do before i start looking for the cable?

i just rechecked, theres no 9pin serial (comm) port on the back of the mobo, but there is a header for a serial port bracket.

I'll try looking for the bracket as well as the UPS cable on the same day. But the problem here is...the serial headers are WAY up near the ram slots...i have a thermaltake armor case for the DG965RY only hoping the cables long enough for the bracket to reach the PCI slots.

Oh and will i need any software for the UPS?

thanx
m
l
March 15, 2010 12:49:51 AM

My bad. You're correct as I use a serial port bracket. Make sure that you get the correct serial port bracket for that motherboard.
Quote:
Oh and will i need any software for the UPS?
I can't answer that question because you didn't specify what OS you're running. If Windows XP, Vista or 7, then you don't. You only need to configure it. If an OS like Linux, then I don't know. Drivers should also be available from the manufacturer.
m
l
March 15, 2010 9:25:58 AM

OS: Windows 7-64bit Ultimate edition :)  OK,i'll go of in search of hardware this Thursday - will keep you posted when i find them
m
l
March 23, 2010 4:22:20 AM

I went hunting for the cable - came across the bracket but the wire from the pins to the bracket is really short - how did you manage to get it into the backpanel/bracket?

I have the DG965RY in a Thermaltake Armor JR with a xfx 7600GT card populating the first PCI slot.
m
l
March 23, 2010 10:57:26 AM

Serial cables are available in more than one length. Mine is barely long enough, but it is. If it works, then you could splice it to make it long enough to meet your requirements.
m
l
March 24, 2010 6:02:18 AM

Gotcha! going out this afternoon to check up on the bracket and cable. How can i splice the cable on the bracket?by soldering?
m
l
March 24, 2010 11:06:21 AM

Lutfij said:
Gotcha! going out this afternoon to check up on the bracket and cable. How can i splice the cable on the bracket?by soldering?

Cut it in the middle, splice it properly (soldering and heat shrinkable tubing) and it should work fine. Before you cut it, make sure that you have the correct serial cable because there are two types. This site sells both types and their cables certainly are long enough: http://www.frontx.com/cpx102_2.html
m
l
June 4, 2010 5:06:39 PM

Hey there bro! i finally found the time to get the cable spliced - Pheeeewwwwwww what a pain!

I have the UPS installed into the com port and now Device manager states i need a driver for the serial port. Is it for the UPS or just a driver for the serial port ?

I lost a link i had for the software monitoring the UPS, it was a third party software...now i cant remember its name. Can you help out in that field as well :) ?
m
l

Best solution

September 3, 2010 6:35:15 AM

Connect your computer or controller to the DB9 jack labeled “Control” using a DB9 male to female normal modem cable. This will make your UPS work.
October 28, 2010 2:35:04 PM

Best answer selected by Lutfij.
m
l
October 28, 2010 2:35:32 PM

:)  forgot about this thread...thanks for your efforts! Got it running!
m
l
!