Sign in with
Your question

Computer startup issue

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 13, 2010 6:11:48 PM

I just recently moved, and prior to the move everything seemed to be working fine. However, it now has some major issues. When I first unpacked it and tried to power on, it would start for about a second then turn off then a few seconds later it would automatically try to power on again. This continued until I flipped the switch on the actual PSU. I thought it was maybe overheating, so I unplugged everything, took off the HS, cleaned off the old heat compound and put a new coat on (which basically means I reseated the CPU as well). I had the case open, so I figured I would reseat everything else in case something got jiggled loose. So, I took out the RAM, video card, and network card and put it all back in then tried to start again. It seemed to be doing better, it now stays on (usually, whenever the case is horizontal it seems to do the startup -> shutdown -> autostartup thing) but I get no POST beep or any control of anything at all (no video, no keyboard or mouse, and even the front power button doesnt work to force a shutdown), all of the case fans and LED's light up though, even the network light for the built in network port.

So, I unplugged EVERYTHING, and completely set up the computer from scratch and still no go, the same problem of it not doing anything outside of turning the fans/LED's on. I have even tried using only 1 stick of RAM (tried each individual stick) and pulling out the video card entirely and resetting the CMOS and removing the mobo battery for a couple of minutes. Nothing has worked, no POST beeps.

So, I come to the forums. What is wrong with my computer?! Is the PSU dead, is the CPU dead, or is the mobo dead?

Specs
Antec 550watt PSU
ASUS P5K mobo
Q6600 CPU
8800 ultra GPU
4GB corsair RAM (cant remember exactly which)

More about : computer startup issue

March 14, 2010 6:37:02 AM

Well, I went and got a PSU from Best Buy and it didnt fix the problem =[

So, that leaves the CPU and the mobo. If the CPU is bad it should give a POST error beep though, correct? So that would mean its something wrong with the motherboard?
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
March 14, 2010 1:03:12 PM

Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

If the CPU is bad it will probably not start the POST so - no sound. It could be the motherboard or a shorted component that is shutting down the PSU.

The "boot problem" thread has a link to a breadboarding thread where I spend a paragraph on how to build and test a PC in stagesfor either troubleshooting or prebuild testing.
m
l
Related resources
March 14, 2010 6:50:06 PM

jsc said:
Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

If the CPU is bad it will probably not start the POST so - no sound. It could be the motherboard or a shorted component that is shutting down the PSU.

The "boot problem" thread has a link to a breadboarding thread where I spend a paragraph on how to build and test a PC in stagesfor either troubleshooting or prebuild testing.

I have pretty much done the entire checklist and the breadboarding thread already, I have tested the machine with nothing in (the only exception being that I left the mobo on its removable platter instead of putting it on something else) except the CPU and HSF and everything else on the list.

So, what would cause a computer to stay "on" but have no POST at all? By "on" I mean all of the case fans are on and everything appears to be running but it never makes it to POST. From what I can see that seems to be a CPU issue, but if somebody could give a nod of approval or something similar I am not too sure :S
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2010 6:59:56 PM

Like you said you have narrowed it down to either the CPU or the motherboard. The only way to be certain really would be to try another CPU in your board or try your CPU in another board. Of course the only problem is whether you have access to spares or old parts. Other than that your guess is as good as mine! Good luck!
m
l
March 14, 2010 7:36:35 PM

moody89 said:
Like you said you have narrowed it down to either the CPU or the motherboard. The only way to be certain really would be to try another CPU in your board or try your CPU in another board. Of course the only problem is whether you have access to spares or old parts. Other than that your guess is as good as mine! Good luck!

Well, in that case... do you know if it would be better to get a new mobo + processor combo deal at newegg or just get the Q8300 (I think its equivalent to the Q6600 that I have)? I have maybe $250-300 to spend and havent done too much research on CPU's just yet, so I dont know if I can get a new mobo and an upgraded CPU for that price range.
m
l
!