Thermaltake 120mm or Coollit 240mm

Your opinion on which cooler is better for keeping low temps on a 3930k idle/load; stock or slight OC.

Thermaltake 2.0 Pro 120mm --- Enermax Push/Pull config

Coollit ECO-II 240mm
16 answers Last reply
More about thermaltake 120mm coollit 240mm
  1. none of the above, a Hyper 212 Evo would smoke both those obsolete tech's. Tell you what, check out the watercooling sticky and click on the closed loop coolers section and you'll find out.
  2. Lutfij said:
    none of the above, a Hyper 212 Evo would smoke both those obsolete tech's. Tell you what, check out the watercooling sticky and click on the closed loop coolers section and you'll find out.

Obsolete? 0_0 I read through the closed loop section, and one of the top coolers is the H100; which I hear is identical to the ECO-II. I was considering Hyper 212 Evo as well, but I was concerned the size & position might cause interference with the RAM (Corsair Vengeance). Closed loop frees up more space.
  3. Closed loop coolers aren't that great...if I were limited to $100 or less for a CPU cooler, I'd simply go with a good air cooler....but this is just my preference.
  4. Ok I'm considering going with the EVO then. My previous build used a 120mm closed loop & cooled very well. But I hear the 3930k has some issues with overheating so I want a high rated cooler; & the EVO does have all positive reviews.
  5. and the closed loop coolers only offer a moderate overclock, If you've read through the reviews carefully, on a SB-E 4.0+ GHz doesn't sweat the chip at all. If your going to cool your cpu only, a good aftermarket air cooler will do the job just fine. But a watercooling loop has much more potential IF you're going for the real deal.
  6. Lutfij said:
    and the closed loop coolers only offer a moderate overclock, If you've read through the reviews carefully, on a SB-E 4.0+ GHz doesn't sweat the chip at all. If your going to cool your cpu only, a good aftermarket air cooler will do the job just fine. But a watercooling loop has much more potential IF you're going for the real deal.

Well that's just it, I won't be doing anything above a moderate OC, if at all. I'll be primarily doing full load renders for as high as 12+ hours, & would rather have a stable stock speed than a higher clock running risk. Air or liquid would suffice in either case I believe.
  7. Don't get me wrong, they will cool a 3930k as well as a normal air cooler and when overclocked, they will perform a little better due to specific heat and thermal conductivity of water/liquid. Where it starts to get interesting is where the immediate heat load of a high-end CPU at load can sometimes trip it's own thermal throttling if the cooler itself doesn't allow for the fans to kick into high speed and cool the chip. I've read a few reports of this being an issue with new IB chips under certain overclocking circumstances. At some point when overclocking them, there comes a chicken or the egg threshold for the cooler to be able to cool the CPU at idle or load but also need to be able to accommodate an immediate heat dump at load and not being able to account quickly enough via fans to remove heat or absorb heat quickly enough through the air cooler.

One of these articles is here on Tom's around the overclocking of newer i7 chips and a couple other places elsewhere.
  8. hahaha ^ chicken or the egg - the most debated topic with philosophizers :)

@ raq - you're going to render? hmmm now you should be going for air cooling not fake watercooling. I have ,what Rubix mentioned , seen on my Q9550 when I render on cad and maya. Ps+Ai renders also make my temps go wonkers!
  9. Interesting rub; I did read that the IB chips have the issue with higher temps, but 3930k also has temp issues even though it's Sandy Bridge - E. I'll either go with the Hyper Evo or ECO-II --- probably no overclocks either.

Lutf, yes. My rendering is a 3/1 split between CPU rendering in 3ds Max (Vray) & unbiased GPU rendering (Octane). On my last build I was oblivious to the fact that all the full load rendering was frying my 470GTX; once I realized that it was too late for my second card. So really, I've had more problems with the GPU overheating than CPU.
  10. Quote:
    problems with the GPU overheating than CPU.
    both are resolved with watercooling not a pseudo cooler. Save yourself the cash on that old coolit cooler and get a couple of case fans to help airflow.

1| i said old CoolIt cooler because CoolIt are now in a merger with Corsair, In fact Corsair had bought the R+D dept for their closed loop works.
    2| i mentioned airflow in your case because the GTX470's got a driver update that made them run cooler and the fan was adjusted to their heat dump. If the 2nd card fried, you're experiencing a deficit of air to that particular card.
  11. Lutfij said:

1| i said old CoolIt cooler because CoolIt are now in a merger with Corsair, In fact Corsair had bought the R+D dept for their closed loop works.
    2| i mentioned airflow in your case because the GTX470's got a driver update that made them run cooler and the fan was adjusted to their heat dump. If the 2nd card fried, you're experiencing a deficit of air to that particular card.

That's what I discovered eventually after many a crash. I was running dual SLI & the airflow was bad enough to cause quick overheats/shutdowns. Once I took out the second card, updated drivers & downloaded Evga Precision to adjust fan speeds things got way better.

But, on this next build I'll be pairing the 3930k with a single 670GTX 4GB. I was contemplating a quadro card but a workstation isn't in my general budget at the moment.

As for the Coollit unit, I thought it was pretty much identical to Corsairs H100; since it has mostly positive reviews I didn't think it would be a bad cooler.
  12. it is a bad cooler in our eyes, to the uninformed buyer - its like gold bullion :D get my drift?

with the 2nd point I was expecting you'd tell me what case you have :)
  13. XSPC Ex/RS/RX 240 kits > (H100 = Coollit 240mm)
  14. Lutfij said:
    it is a bad cooler in our eyes, to the uninformed buyer - its like gold bullion :D get my drift?

with the 2nd point I was expecting you'd tell me what case you have :)

I see what you're saying; however my previous build used a cheap 120mm Astek closed loop, & up till this day it's kept my i7 quite cool even on 16 hour renders. That was when I didn't care for researching coolers at all & just picked a random one. So, although I'm sure these close loop units don't amount to much to an overclocking or custom-build enthusiast, for my purposes they've done pretty well.

When my build arrives I'm going to do stress-test with Prime95 & see if the cooling suffices; if not I'll either order a Noctua D14 or higher end unit like the XSPC that's been recommended.

My case is a Corsair Carbide Series 400r.
  15. I was thinking about going through DigitalStormOnline instead for a custom build. In that case I could go right for the Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator or Noctua. But I still have some time to decide who I'll be buying from so.
  16. wanna look inside my magic box?
    this is what I run too, a similar take on the asetek, since the H50/60/70 were manufactured under aseteks licence

I understand where you're coming from, I was like you as well. Now I just went nuts and the watercooling bug bit me in the rear. I have two projects for watercooling and one will be my main render/gaming/workstation rig. The other has the option for expanding into a workstation rig.

* sorry folks, I do this alot here on the watercooling forums and I just want others to be aware of the mistake I did being arrogant and foolish.
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Cooling Enermax Thermaltake Overclocking