Sign in with
Your question

How does my system compare to the new stuff?

Last response: in Systems
January 7, 2010 9:05:42 PM

I built my current computer ~2 years ago, with lots of advice from this forum. It worked out pretty well, and I'm still able to run new games very well. I play CODMW2 and L4D2 without problems, and they run fast. So there's really no reason for me to upgrade my current system, I'm just curious how it compares to today's average gaming rig. Here's what I've got:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
C2Q Q6600 (G0) @ 3.2 Ghz
MSI 8800 GT (Factory OC'd)
4 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (4-4-4-12)
AC Freezer Pro 7
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
Soundblaster Audigy ZS
Silverstone 750W PSU
Antec 900 Case
Litescribe DVD-RW
Zalman Fan Controller
Scythe Case Fans

If I were to build a new computer today for ~$1200, how would it compare to this? That's the price I paid for the above system.

Thanks

More about : system compare stuff

January 7, 2010 9:09:41 PM

IMO there would not be a dramatic difference in gaming. It also depends on what resolution you're playing at.

I would say that your current bottleneck is probably your GPU.
m
l
January 7, 2010 9:11:11 PM

Forgot to mention, I've got an Acer 22" 1680x1050 native resolution.
m
l
January 7, 2010 11:51:54 PM

If you want a reasonable comparison - compare with the recent THG $1300 build and see what they get compared to yours. Or you might go back two years and find a system similar to yours to compare to todays benchmark.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-own-pc,2503.h...

But you can get a nice performance boost by getting a faster GPU. The THG article on a balanced system shows the potential. Your Q6600 will probably perform similar to the e8400 in the review but your video card will be lower than any they use - just a little lower than the 4850. So you can see the impact on FPS of getting a faster video card. I am linking to one benchmark page so you can get a quick look at what I am talking about, but then you might want to go to the front of the article and follow it through:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-plat...

m
l
!