Multiple unexplained issues

federalagents

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Ok so i have multiple problems. Any information will be appreciated.

First, my motherboard makes a confirmation beep when it begins to go through the boot cycle, and now it is taking significantly longer for it to make that beep and start the boot process. Meaning that my rig will hang for several seconds before it begins the boot process, as opposed to starting almost instantly like it used to do. However when I hit the restart button after it has been on for a second it will make the beep and begin the boot process in the normal amount of time. I have no idea why this would be.

Also i cant connect to the internet. Both a pci and a usb wireless adapter will not work, and whenever i plug an ethernet cable into my motherboard it doesnt even recognize the fact that one is plugged in and it wont find a network that way even if it is directly connected to my router. But when I plug the cable in the green light next to the ethernet slot on my computer flashes like it recognizes the cable. When I use the windows auto diagnose thing it complaines about some driver issues, which is total crap cause I have never messed with my network drivers and then it directs me to some tech help website, which of course will not load cause I cant connect to the internet.
*update, when I boot from an xubunto live cd I can get a network connection to my router using an ethernet cable, so im hoping this problem will go away when I reinstall windows. But I still would like advice as to what could cause this problem.

And finally my 3850 video card will only work in my bottom, x8 pci e slot, not my top x16 one. If i put it in the top slot it will work fine until just after the windows sign in page, at which point the screen will go blank. But the hard drive will continue to make noise as if it is still loading up windows. I've tried reinstalling video drivers and that does nothing. Ive tried altering setting related to the video card and my pci e slots in my motherboards bios, nothing doing.

My motherboard is a gigabyte ga-ma790x-ud4p. I run windows 7 64bit. I know this sounds like my mainboard is failing but I really dont think so because other than those problems my computer is totally stable. I can encode h.264 for hours on end without any problems. I have tested both my ram and hard drive with reputable programs they display no errors of any kind.

There is no malware of any kind on my computer, I often scan it with many different anti virus/trogan/spyware programs. I have not attempted to alter the firmware on my motherboard. My computer has not been subjected to drops or spills or other forms of abuse.

Normally I am capable of handling problems on my own but its to the point of being ridiculous and any help that anyone is willing to give would be much appreciated. I am planning on doing a complete reinstall of windows in the very near future and I hope that will clear most if not all of my problems up. However im afraid that it wont, and does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

The initial beep means that your video card's BIOS has initiated and passed its Power On Self Test. You should notice that no video shows up until after that initial beep.

When you place your video card in the x16 PCIe slot does Windows 7 boot up in Safe Mode without a problem? If there's no problem booting up in Safe Mode (uses only Microsoft's standard VGA device driver) then I would suspect a problem with the installation of the ATI device driver for the video card.

Is the latest AMD Chipset driver and Realtek LAN driver installed?

federalagents

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

When my video card is in my 16x slot and i hold f8 to try and get to the startup options my system will just hang right at the screen where it displays the screen full of devices and related numbers. It wont even let me select boot into safe mode. If i dont attempt to boot into safe mode the same thing happens that i explained above. I have both the amd chipset and realtek lan drivers installed.