Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclocking and PSU question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 6, 2012 9:55:54 PM

Hello, i am planning to upgrade my PC in less than a month but got some questions in mind about overclocking and my PSU, mainly overclocking.

1st Question: I want to overclock my CPU to increase performance for about a year then i will change mobo and CPU. But problem is i have no idea how to overclock and if i can overclock my PC. From my point of view i should be able to overclock it but i am still not sure about to so i wanted to take opinion from people who knows better than i do.

2nd Question: I will use my GPU with it's alternative bios and overclock my CPU. It seems my future PSU should be able to power whole system but i am not sure so again i wanted to take opinion.

You can see my current and future PCs below.

Will appreciate any help :) 



My PC
MOBO : Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Processor : Phenom II x4 965 BE
Ram : Kingston HyperX 4GB Dual(2x2GB) 1600MHz(Working at 1333MHz)
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 6790
HDD : Seagate st3160827as
Case : Medium Tower
PSU : Cooler Master GX-650W

Future PC
MOBO : Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Processor : Phenom II x4 965 BE (Will get Hyper 212 EVO)
Ram : G.SKILL Ares Blue 8GB Dual(2x4GB) 1600 MHz
GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD7970 OC Dual-X 3GB
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata3
Case : Corsair Carbide 500r
PSU : Seasonic X760 760W

More about : overclocking psu question

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 11:47:14 PM

your core is easily oc'ed. check out the amd overclocker club to get an idea.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261868-29-overclockin...

there are many guides to doing this.

are you having trouble with your current psu? we have damn near the same system(close to your "future system) and im using a 650w psu. so unless the 7970 is asking for it, I would hold off on the psu
August 7, 2012 12:06:47 AM

Mt Power said:
your core is easily oc'ed. check out the amd overclocker club to get an idea.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261868-29-overclockin...

there are many guides to doing this.

are you having trouble with your current psu? we have damn near the same system(close to your "future system) and im using a 650w psu. so unless the 7970 is asking for it, I would hold off on the psu


I know it is easly OC'ed, but i heard that motherboards can cause problems. Mine shouldn't but still felt a need to take opinion.

I searched for guides and got really confused. Healthiest way is doing it via BIOS from what i see but still it would be good if someone showed/pointed to me a detailed guide(like that link of yours will help for stabling my CPU)

No, but reviews are negative about it. I bought it to hold my PC off for awhile. Also i saw that 7970 can consume up to 300W+ at load. My future PSU will power tons of stuff so i can't be sure(my 1st high-end PC...).
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 12:14:15 AM

yeah Im not sure on that board. I would assume its fine and try. I had 880 msi. but i replaced it with the gigabyte 970a-ud3. you may want to spend the $120 on the better board. but i would try what you have first.

yes you will want to oc it from the bios. its the black edition, use the unlocked core multiplier. i would try for the 4ghz but may want to start out slower. bump your vcore as needed wouldnt go higher then 1.55. I am at 4.2ghz with 1.456, on a 970be.


http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596...
http://www.overclock.net/t/525113/phenom-ii-overclockin...

first ones pretty good...

August 8, 2012 1:04:52 AM

Mt Power said:
yeah Im not sure on that board. I would assume its fine and try. I had 880 msi. but i replaced it with the gigabyte 970a-ud3. you may want to spend the $120 on the better board. but i would try what you have first.

yes you will want to oc it from the bios. its the black edition, use the unlocked core multiplier. i would try for the 4ghz but may want to start out slower. bump your vcore as needed wouldnt go higher then 1.55. I am at 4.2ghz with 1.456, on a 970be.


http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596...
http://www.overclock.net/t/525113/phenom-ii-overclockin...

first ones pretty good...


I compared our mobos, if you can OC i can OC too it seems.

I will try to go for 4ghz when my new parts come. It seems i have to test my CPU after OCing for like 6 hours, i hope nothing will happen during that time. Also if my cpu passed that test do i have to constantly watch my CPU?

Those are great! Thank you for the info!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 4:13:42 AM

Akriloth said:
I compared our mobos, if you can OC i can OC too it seems.

I will try to go for 4ghz when my new parts come. It seems i have to test my CPU after OCing for like 6 hours, i hope nothing will happen during that time. Also if my cpu passed that test do i have to constantly watch my CPU?

Those are great! Thank you for the info!



ya run prime95 for awhile(im doing so on another comp right now :)  use core temp, and cpuz to watch, temps, and voltage.

I dont really "constantly watch" mine, but you now if something is "afoot."

...but I am always trying to get my tim placed better.
August 8, 2012 11:28:24 AM

Mt Power said:
ya run prime95 for awhile(im doing so on another comp right now :)  use core temp, and cpuz to watch, temps, and voltage.

I dont really "constantly watch" mine, but you now if something is "afoot."

...but I am always trying to get my tim placed better.


idk why but i don't like cpu-z, i use my mobo's easytune6 to watch those stuff. Is there any big difference between easytune6 and cpu-z?

that's good to know! to make sure i will OC to 3.8 or 3.9 then.

I am trying to figure out ram and cpu connection atm. Got confused a little :D 

Also how do you apply your thermal paste to your CPUs? from what i see(and what i do) people just apply thermal paste to middle of CPU and use heatsink to scatter it.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 2:33:47 PM

I would think the easytune would work fine(for watching, dont tune with it) as long as the temps are reading accurately.

just oc the cpu(for now) ram later(if necessary)

well there seems to be alsorts of ways to apply the tim. the dot method, the line method, I have a CM evo, so i have seen people use a razor blade and coat a tiny amount on it to fill groves, then the dot. i try a method for awhile, then try another...I want to see for myself what is best! and remember less is more....
August 8, 2012 3:52:06 PM

Mt Power said:
I would think the easytune would work fine(for watching, dont tune with it) as long as the temps are reading accurately.

just oc the cpu(for now) ram later(if necessary)

well there seems to be alsorts of ways to apply the tim. the dot method, the line method, I have a CM evo, so i have seen people use a razor blade and coat a tiny amount on it to fill groves, then the dot. i try a method for awhile, then try another...I want to see for myself what is best! and remember less is more....


I trust to easytune more than i trust freewares about heat watching. I used speedfan and easytune at the same time, they showed almost same values(while easytune shows 45 degrees speedfan was showing 47). Also i know tuning with programs are bad :p 

I don't plan to OC my ram at all. 1600 mhz is good imo.

I will see which method i gonna use when i get my parts but i plan to use pea or X method.

Also should i buy thermal paste from a store or CM's thermal paste is good?

Update: I decided to get Zalman ZM-STG2
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 1:34:14 AM

I try to observe the temps and volts in the bios, then check them against the application im using. some apps work better with different cpus. core temp is close for phenom II(mine anyway)

i keep seeing, oc ram is of little difference.

yeah, its good to experiment with your tim! :o 

August 9, 2012 9:08:23 AM

Will write my results here once i OC my CPU. Problem is i have to wait like a month haha :p 
September 12, 2012 2:25:02 AM

Mt Power said:
I try to observe the temps and volts in the bios, then check them against the application im using. some apps work better with different cpus. core temp is close for phenom II(mine anyway)

i keep seeing, oc ram is of little difference.

yeah, its good to experiment with your tim! :o 


Got parts, installed them and voila! OC works perfectly. Ran prime95 for 2 hours, no errors so far with 50~ degrees. Running at 4.0 Ghz :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 14, 2012 2:18:33 AM

Akriloth said:
Got parts, installed them and voila! OC works perfectly. Ran prime95 for 2 hours, no errors so far with 50~ degrees. Running at 4.0 Ghz :) 


Hey, Nice to hear! Keep an eye on your temps and youll be fine. I unfortunately made the mistake of trying to fix something that wasn't broken...and had to set mine back to defaults :(  had to give up after 3 days of removing and resetting the hsf.(and 3 tubes of mx-4!)
she just wont hold the temps down now...

but again nicely done! enjoy
!