Your question

Laptop crashes though the battery is not completely drained

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2010 7:40:59 AM

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron E1505 laptop with Intel Dual core on it. It has 1 GB of RAM. Since couple of days I have noticed that my laptop crashes when the battery level reached 44%. Unless I plug in the power it wouldnt start, behaving as if the laptop battery is completly drained. I have noticed this behavior both on my XP os as well as Ubuntu. So its not OS specific. I have also tried to reinstall my BIOS but I guess it didnt help. I am not sure what the problem can be? You guys have ever faced such problems? I am a newbie so please let me know if you like some more info.

Thanks

Anil
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2010 2:58:44 PM

You do not indicate how old the battery is.
The most likely cause is a battery that is failing.

Explanation: Normally the battery voltage is sampled to indicate the level of charge remaining. The discharge curve is relatively flat, then drops off rapidly when it approaches a discharged state. See the link below. What happens is as the battery ages the knee (rapid discharge) occurs sooner.
http://www.mpoweruk.com/performance.htm
The only good way to check this is to replace the battery. You can check it by placing the battery on charge for 8 hours, then (Hard part) discharge it into a load equal to the rated current. It shoud take 1 Hour for a "New" battery.

There are some other possibilies (less likely but possible) such as:
... Charging circuit - not fully charging the battery.
... Indicating software incorrect, needs to be recalibrated.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=laptop+s...
August 2, 2010 3:01:35 PM

just buy a new battery on ebay, they are really cheap
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2010 9:56:06 AM

Thanks for your replies.

The battery is 10 months old. Its a third party battery. Why I am doubting is it happened all of a sudden. A day back it would discharge completely and then suddenly the laptop started crashing when the battery reaches 44% level. The battery level info in the BIOS also showed 44%. So it was not a software glitch. I also tried to reupdate my BIOS but to no avail. Is there anything else that I can try? Googling isnt helping much.
August 7, 2010 10:25:17 AM

Looks like what RetiredChief said was right. Now my laptop crashes when the battery level reaches 50%. So I guess the battery is dying down.

Thanks for all your help!
August 18, 2010 10:09:33 AM

I have excately the same problem wirt my Dell Inspiron 6400 ... and I just boght a new battery 2 weeks ago ..

Faulty battery then ?????
!