Highest athlon x3 440 clock speed with stock cooling?

corymartin66

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
i have my cpu oc @ 3.6 right now and my temps never get of 50c and i was wondering whats the highest clock speed i could be able to get with stock cpu cooling (i have great case cooling)

D

Deleted member 217926

Personally I would not try any overclocking with stock cooling. There is a reason it's called stock cooling..........Whatever you do keep your temps below 62C when stressing with Prime 95.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep that's the cooler that comes in the box with the CPU. Don't overclock with it is the best advice I can give you. If you really must then as I said above keep the temps at 62C or under when stressing with Prime 95.

corymartin66

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
i just ran prime 95 and after 15mins my temp was 51c and i quit but i dont think my games will use that much cpu power so it should be alright until i can get the cooler btw at idle my temp is around 35c

D

Deleted member 217926

You are going about this wrong. The real questions are....What is your max budget? What exactly are you trying to do? Just overclock what you have or a complete upgrade? What goals do you have for an upgrade? For instance if you want better gaming performance leaving the CPU alone and getting something better than a GTX 550 Ti would be a better path to improvement. What resolution do you play at and what are your entire system components including power supply make and model?

D

Deleted member 217926

Depending on his budget, resolution and level of technical competence a new GPU might be all he needs.

D

Deleted member 217926

When you have it paired with a crap tier GTX 550 Ti that is in no way even close to bottlenecking what makes you think a new CPU will help? Without at least knowing what you use the computer for we really can't offer any constructive advice.

D

Deleted member 217926

I'm saying your CPU will not bottleneck a card up to a GTX 560 Ti. Anything over that and a new CPU or at least an overclock of what you have would be needed. Once again resolution is important. At lower resolutions the CPU is more important and at higher resolutions the GPU becomes more important.

The GTX 550 Ti is an entry level card at best. The first thing I would do in your situation is upgrade the graphics. Unless you plan on building a completely new computer.....motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU.

D

Deleted member 217926

So as I asked above.......what is your budget? What are you trying to gain from any upgrade ? What is your monitor resolution?

If you want gaming performance a new PSU/GPU make much more sense than just getting a new motherboard and CPU. Hell something like an HD 7850 only needs a recommended 450w power supply.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=541