20GB of HDD just ... missing.

DGman

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
I've been researching this topic for about 3 days and have found nothing...

Basically I have a 120GB SSD from OCZ installed on my computer and installed a few programs and Windows 7 (Professional) on it. This is where it goes strange though: If I am to go INTO the C:\ and highlight all the folders...

NVIDIA
PerfLogs
Program Files
Program Files(x86)
ProgramData
Users
Windows
shared(text file)

and click on properties.... I get it to come out to about 65 GB, give or take one GB.

However if I back out and go to 'My Computer' and highlight C:\ and the same, it says it takes roughly 85GB.

Where is this extra 20GB coming from?

I already have 'Show Hidden Files/Folders' and other folder options to show hidden files.

I even installed an alternate version of Partition Magic to check and I have no idea where 20GB of my space is going to.

Please help!

DGman

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
That explains it... There's a 15gb pagefile. Why is it so large? Is it because I have 16gb of RAM? I turned off hibernation as according to some guides it'd help. Can I delete this?

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
You can actually move the page file to a different disk. As you found out the page file will generally be close to the same size as the installed ram. You can manually go Ian's change the size of the page file on your SSD, I am assuming right now that windows is setting it. In the same way you can go in and increase the size of the page file on a different disk if you are worried about having a small pageant file. Although unless you are doing some serious graphics manipulation I would say that 16GB of ram is plenty to keep you dipping into your page file. Just don't forget about it because some day down the line when normal programs get ram hungry you will run into some strange problems if there is no page file to dip into.