Need timings please - G Skill Ripjaw 1333

Hi.

What mobo do u have? As default the mobo should run the RAM at 1333MHz without changes.

If u want change the specs that u see in the BIOS to the specific for the RAM enter to the BIOS and change this:

CL:8
tRCD:8
tRP:8
tRAS:24

Set the rest in auto and if u don't get the rig stable go to the BIOS again and set the voltage to 1.5V or 1.65V.

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
This is my problem. The mobo is a Zotac H55 ITX but its rubbish at finding auto values. Only bought this RAM as its more stable (the board was NOT stable with the Crucial CL9 RAM i have..rubbish)

But BIOS is a bad guess at values...so looking for values for :

DRAM tCL
DRAM tRAS
DRAM tRP
DRAM tRCD
DRAM tWR
DRAM tRFC

DRAM tWTR
DRAM tRRD
DRAM tRTP
DRAM tFAW

Any ideas. This board has alot of potential, got a terrible BIOS. BIOS was reporting current RAM voltage as being 1.26v (obviously no load)...but CPU-Z says 1.5v?

The i3 and 8800GTS 640mb ( i know its old but does the job ) are great but the system being let down by the crucial RAM so G SKill should do the job

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
What about the other timings? Think I might just auto it and hope it does better with the G Skill than it did with the Crucial.

Also. CoreTemp is showing 1 core at 63C and the other at 80C

I dont trust these, especially considering the BIOS and HWMonitor are both saying 34C

?

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
is speed fan an app?

When i changed minimum fan speed in the BIOS when CPU not hot (written in some messed up Engrish) I was given a Range of 0 - 255. Changing this had no audible effect on the fan.

HWMonitor is reporting the FAN well

At the moment I have the Crucial running at 10-10-10-30 row refresh 120 and those other unknown setttings to 10 10 10 50.

Runs stable now...will do until tomorrow when I pop the G SKill in

Quite disappointed with this mobo. Promises alot but very fiddly to get it right

Little things like...cant set the CPU voltage, have to set default with a + or - amount. AH...they need to hurry up with ANOTHER BIOS update.

Everything else runs stupidly fast though, even with these crap timings. SSD and CPU must be draggin the system along

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Other than the mains settings that relate to the CL9 (for example) rating....what do the other DRAM settings relate to

It was pure guess work i set the others and now it appears stable

HURRY UP G SKILL

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hmmmmm no specs there.....looks like an email to tech support. It says designed for i5 and i7, no mention of i3. All fully tested on P55 but not on H55

Guessing it should be fine though

Must say, I have been amazed by the i3 performance. I thought it was the bottom end of the range, but in apps that dont use too many threads, it dominates the benchmarks. Obviouslty higher threaded apps benchies are better on i5 i7, but for games etc this chip is amazing

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
MOBO likes this RAM...all on auto and running ridiculously fast! No more glitches. Guess these mini itx boards only like the good stuff

Thanks for all your help

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hmm did have one other issue. When i attach a slimline sata dvd drive (with adapter) to the mobo it opens the tray then the BIOS hangs and wont post. If I do this with a disk in, the draw stays closed, the disk is read....i even installed windows this way. But if I try and close draw witout a disk it spits itself out and wont POST. Thoughts?

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Yes tried it in another rig....atom Dual core mini itx. Plugged it into sata.

Just opens/closes. Really frustrating. BIOS wont pick it up and register it unless there is a disk in.

I have purchased a slimline sata to USB 2.0 adapter to see if this will work. Plug it straight into the mobo header. See if this resolves it

Just such strange behaviour, no disk spits tray out, if there is a disk BIOS finds it, disk runs etc etc.

It uses the floppy 4 pin adapter to convert.

???