Sign in with
Your question

New Loop Modifications, Opinions and Feedback Please!

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:18:52 AM

Hey guys I'm planning to do some modding to the system in my sig, mainly new tubing, adding drain/fill ports, and a new GPU. My current loop is as follows:

PUMP > RES > 360RAD1 > 360RAD2 > GPU > RAD480 > CPU > PUMP

Here's a photo of my case and a flow diagram:

So what I want to do first and foremost obviously is add a drain spot and a fill port. I don't want to drill into case (read: remove all the components for a filliport hole), so instead what I'm thinking of using are the Koolance Quick Disconnect fittings. I plan to purchase a threaded one like this:

and attach it to the top of my reservoir. Then I'd have a compression female fitting attached to a hose that I would keep to attach whenever I need to refill the loop (I think it's quite convenient)

For the drainage side what I plan to do is take the tubing between the 2nd 360 radiator and the GPU block and add male and female compression fittings along it in the bottom portion of the case to use as the drain "valve". All I'd have to do is take the same hose and compression female fitting to drain the loop from one side. For the other side, just pull off the opposite compression fitting (male/female) and attach it to the drain/fill hose and empty that side.

So I wanted to first ask you guys what you think of that idea? Fact is either way i need drain/fill ports, and thought this would be a clever way to do it.

The next question I have for you guys is aesthetic: I plan to change all of my tubings to primochill, but I haven't quite decided what color to pick. I'm honestly open to all suggestions. I also am going to get rid of the EK blue coolant, but I haven't decided what I'm going to get, if I end up with solid color tubes I might leave it as just being uncolored premix, but it's all dependent on what ideas you guys think might look good :sol:  .

Also by all means if you guys think my loop could be redone in a more efficient manner please chime in, this is my first build, so I'm actively seeking criticism.

I also kind of want to increase diameter on my tubing. Maybe I'm crazy but the tubes I have seem too thin...all of my fittings are for 3/8" ID 1/2" OD, but I honestly can't tell if my tubing looks like it. Either way I'm guessing I can't buy wider tubes without changing all my fittings, and frankly screw that if it's the case.

PS I know the case is kinda dusty, I'm going to be cleaning it out when I go about with all of this work, I also plan to get Demciflex covers for the intakes to reduce dust. Sorry for the crappy picture and crappier flow diagram...
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:27:29 AM

Quote:
PUMP > RES > 360RAD1 > 360RAD2 > GPU > RAD480 > CPU > PUMP

Why not Res > pump? This would make more sense when initially filling your loop.

Quote:
all of my fittings are for 3/8" ID 1/2" OD, but I honestly can't tell if my tubing looks like it. Either way I'm guessing I can't buy wider tubes without changing all my fittings, and frankly screw that if it's the case.

You are correct, except that you can buy 3/8"ID-5/8"OD tubing. Same ID but larger OD if that makes much difference to you.
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:36:28 AM

That makes a fantastic difference, but I just need to make sure it'll fit on the quick disconnects.

About the diagram, I guess I got it backwards, so flip the flow.

Rubix, I've looked through your Askew project literally a thousand times, a huge fan of your work/craftsmanship. Do you have any opinions on the tubing color or any other suggestions? That's what's really bugging me right now cause as it is quite frankly, the color scheme is butt ugly. I know a lot has to do with my ugly mobo (from back before I decided to LC, the things I would give to go back in time and change it lol) but any opinions on how to prove aesthetics (loop and tubing) would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: For the 3/8" ID 5/8" OD tubing, would compression fittings for 3/8" ID 1/2" still be able to fit the thicker tubes safely?
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:43:55 AM

You kind of have a black and white theme with some blue...maybe white or blue tubing? I think having clear tubing and some dye water isn't giving you the color you want...or you could go with red tubing to really pop in some color.

And thank you for the kind words- this was my first attempt at building a case to fit what I wanted. I'm going to use it to start work on the next one soon and I have several ideas that I took away from the first build that should help the second.
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 3:52:27 AM

I definitely don't want to stick with clear tubing (unless I decide to pick up Mayhem dye). I was also thinking white tubing, but would definitely love to hear more opinions. Also rubix do you know if it's possible to use the tubing like I edited into my last post?
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 8:26:55 PM

I don't think the compression fittings for a 1/2" OD tube will fit well/at all on a 5/8" OD tube.

As someone who has used the Koolance QDCs, I must say that they're quite expensive, but they work to the degree that you pay for them. Make sure to get the V4 fittings (V4 is in the product code - should be the only ones available on their site, but not necessarily on other retailers), as they have less restriction and the true anti-spill mechanism. Not a single drop leaks through :D 
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 8:43:14 PM

Quote:
I don't think the compression fittings for a 1/2" OD tube will fit well/at all on a 5/8" OD tube.

Good point, as the ID of the compression barb will fit the ID of the tubing, but the compression ring likely won't fit over a larger ID set of tubing.
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 10:11:27 PM

criticism huh :)  I'm game!

you could rework your loop by thinking of the tubing as a string that needs to run continuously from part to part in one line without criss-crossing another tube on its path.

and like rubix mentioned, have the pump fed via the res

from a closer look at your pic, I think you should go for
top rad>cpu block>GPU blocks (and have them serial)>360rad 1>360rad2>res>pump>top rad

would need a few angle fittings to route the tube. But I'm sure It'll give you a cleaner look.

like this

more here
^ the guy overdid it with that many angles though.

about the color scheme I noticed an army green/black and white theme would go fantastically in your innards.
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 10:14:15 PM

Running dual D5's kind of makes up for the flowrate hit you take through multiple 90's and assorted blocks.
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 7, 2012 10:14:48 PM

I was reading the thread and noticed the OP saying his temps were decent, and had to rework his loop to get better temps. Aesthetically its amazing, but temps weren't as great...leading into OP getting the dual pump solution.

Edit: missed a couple of words when I left for prayers :) 
!