Sign in with
Your question

Questions for NZXT Switch 810 Case owners/buyers.

Last response: in Overclocking
August 7, 2012 4:48:06 AM

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a thread that anyone can contribute to, to answer any Water cooling questions people would have about the NZXT Switch 810 case.

The reason for this is that i've noticed an increased popularity of this case for watercooling specifically and I myself would like to see some great reasons to buy it.

You could be an owner in need of an answer, a person looking to buy one or just plain curious. It would be much appreciated if any owners of this case could take their time to answer any questions asked, that way we too can get one step closer to working with this case. It could also be the one stop place for people to find answers to any problems they encounter with this case.

Heres a picture to show people what case im talking about if they dont already know.

Cheers guys, looking forward to seeing some input :) 
August 7, 2012 4:56:00 AM

I'll kick it off with a few questions i've been wondering for a while now.

-Will the Switch 810 fit a XSPC RX 360 radiator in the top of the case whilst avoiding any obstructions including the Mobo?

-I've also heard it is possible to fit a 480 rad in the top is this true?

-has anyone encountered any problems with things like cable management, case quality or any hampering qualities?

-Is a second Radiator possible within the case without modding? if so, what size?
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:09:18 AM

I ordered this case and personally i"ve seen reviews saying panels came broken specifically the top one, the HdD activity LED not workig but very rare, the XSPC RX should fit nicely. in pull push pull might be a tight fit, i will let you know when i get my case since i already have the RX360 and the RX 240here just wItig on te case, without modding just taking the bottom HDD cage out you can fit the RX 240 easily in push pull
Like i said ill give you a build log when i get my case next week
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2012 5:16:39 AM

Very helpful, cheers man, looking forward to seeing it. :)  its good to see some answers already! I'm looking at getting the Matte Black Switch but i needed to know these things first before I commit :p  are you going to theme it?
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:21:46 AM

Hahaahahahahahagaahahahahahah :D  :) 
Theme it of course all green man maybe i went overkill but idgaf i got the matte black from frozencpu, just backordered it and getting it internally painted alien green and 95% of my cables are UV Green, case cables are sleeved as well and this is going to be my first watercooling build 0.0 i went all out and i will be taking my time :) 
PS: i got the RX360 kit etc.. Cooling gpu and cpu
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:33:20 AM

Sounds very expensive :)  haha if you've got that kind of money you'll be able to make a great looking machine!

I love your choice of color, especially for the fact that its in an NZXT case, they always seemed pretty alienlike to me (i currently own a Phantom.)

bit of a bitch finding green parts though hey? or were you planning on custom painting them? i'd imagine getting black or dark grey parts would set a nice contrast against the green interior.
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:42:35 AM

Shoud have thought about that, cuz all my cables are UV green but 2UV lights should help get that acid green looking good yes i think i spent about $2500 dollers XD and im only 16 thank my parents, yea it was but i think its worth it, now you can say we mexicans arnt poor XD sorry about the off topic
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:55:59 AM

Giby said:
So itl be green on UV green i think it will still look good

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8912/cas-409/Custom_C...

Anyways as log as i like it that should be all that matters XD lol

One question how did you post pics like that?

you cant do it in quick reply unless you use the tags, you'll have to find an image hosting website to give your pictures urls then theres an insert image button and you paste the url in the box that appears.
m
l
August 7, 2012 5:59:43 AM

:)  Ok thanks :) 
Anymore quesion you have i might be able to answer?
m
l
August 7, 2012 6:58:41 AM

not for the moment mate, cheers. just let us know how it goes when you recive your gear and how well everything fits :) 
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:27:24 AM

I found this review on it the other day. I think he does an amazing job reviewing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHjJ8sPe_8
It made me want to sell my phantom and buy a switch 810 :) 
It shows you can fit a 360 and a 240 easily, but I see an easy mod to fit two 360's
*Edit* Watercooling on the video starts at 35:00
m
l
August 8, 2012 2:33:25 AM

barthalamoo said:
I found this review on it the other day. I think he does an amazing job reviewing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHjJ8sPe_8
It made me want to sell my phantom and buy a switch 810 :) 
It shows you can fit a 360 and a 240 easily, but I see an easy mod to fit two 360's
*Edit* Watercooling on the video starts at 35:00

Yup i"ve seen it , personally i think its one of the best reviews out there because he goes over tiny details many don't
+1
m
l
August 8, 2012 3:04:05 AM

I'll make sure to watch it when i get the chance, cheers for the link. :) 
m
l
August 8, 2012 12:15:44 PM

I am currently doing a duel CPU workstation right now using this case. It's the newer gunmetal special edition. They corrected a few small things in this version. What I can tell you after spending a lot of time with it is it is a very good case, but like all, there are issues you run into.

Since I am doing a workstation build with duel xeons, the mother board is the largest it will allow, EEB. You can only use 6 of the motherboard stand offs for my ASUs mobo, which has 10. It works, but it covers up some cable openings and such due to size.

Also, you will NOT have room for a bottom radiator, 240mm, if you get a larger power supply. Mine is an Enermax 1350 and it is extended in size. It comes to about half way to the second set of rubber feet in the bottom resting on them. The cables are thick and you can't bunch them up too close. They extend over par of the first fan opening on the bottom. I tried to put a 240mm rad there and you can not, at least with a large power supply like this.

The cable routing while good is limited some with an EEB mobo. The space between the side panel on the right needs more room. A lot of the thick cables my power supply has simply won't fit due to thickness/size when trying to put door on. There needs to be a bigger gap as you can run out of room to fit your cable runs.

Going to do water cooling soon. A 360mm rad will fit fine on top in both push/pull. Just not sure what all I need for 2 CPUs?
m
l
August 8, 2012 4:17:16 PM

I believe in getting a cheaper case and making it exactly what you need. I'm not spending $400 on a case to chop it up.
m
l
August 9, 2012 12:28:26 AM

@HiTekJeff, i think if you get a nice thick 360 like an RX you could cover two of your xeons depending on whether you plan to oc them or not. otherwise maybe consider building a box to sit below or to the side of your case that you can put your radiators in so you only have to make room for a pump and res in your case, this way you could easily get some serious cooling going on, all you will have to do is rout your tubes through the grommets on the back or get some QDC's that fit in one of your GPU doors. This way it keeps the heated radiators outside of your case, makes it less crammed, better airflow for both your case and your radiators and if you plan it right it could be a lot easier to clean!
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:00:15 AM

CrestfallenDesign said:
@HiTekJeff, i think if you get a nice thick 360 like an RX you could cover two of your xeons depending on whether you plan to oc them or not. otherwise maybe consider building a box to sit below or to the side of your case that you can put your radiators in so you only have to make room for a pump and res in your case, this way you could easily get some serious cooling going on, all you will have to do is rout your tubes through the grommets on the back or get some QDC's that fit in one of your GPU doors. This way it keeps the heated radiators outside of your case, makes it less crammed, better airflow for both your case and your radiators and if you plan it right it could be a lot easier to clean!

Thanks for the info, been doing more research and found a few that may work for water cooling. One shows a setup where they didn't have room at bottom either. But took the hard drive cage out and set a real nice pump on top of the plate as a base for it.

I plan to run a single loop and won't be over locking the CPUs since the new E5 Xeons are clock locked by Intel, unlike their non workstation CPUs. The only reason for water.cooling is because under heavy load for high end rendering, they can get really hot. Otherwise, this will be a solid workstation build with no big OC.

Right new I'm using two Corsair H80 for cooling. Tried two H100, but the cords are too short to reach CPUs from bottom and you can only fit one H 100 in the top, the are 240mm.

Hope this helps others too. Will post progress and how things turn out.
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:02:44 AM

Maybe he can get one thick 360 rad on top and one thin or thick, rad in the front will a little modding, i say thick and thin because they perform about the same just one is for lower rpm fans
You can do it like this guy did here

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LtFp6Ou190o#/watch?v=LtFp6...
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:14:10 AM

I understand that man but you can get quieter performance out of a thick rad if obtaining and being able to install a larger rad is possible its always going to be the best option.
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:27:33 AM

@HiTekJeff
at best the h100's will par with high end air cooling man. the best thing to do is run your own custom loop.
if its just CPU's you want to cool try an XSPC RX 360 Raystorm kit. Then add an extra cpu block for your second cpu.
this will give you great quiet performance because you wont have to get a set of 2000rpm fans. :p  if you havent already read the sticky, have a browse through that to get a basic idea.
theres a formula that you can follow to determine how much heat each radiator can expel.
and on the intel website they will show you how much heat each CPU can output.
m
l
August 9, 2012 1:54:19 AM

And if you have the money get AP-15 they are freakin awsome with a fan controller or you can get the 1450rpm ones too or lower your choice
m
l
August 9, 2012 6:49:36 AM

I can't mod or remove any more in the front, I need the drive cages and room. This is a large mobo and needs more room than a single CPU build. The H100 did not fit, just the space for one at the top as mentioned due to the short cable they have. Right now, the two h80 in push/pull config is giving me about 55-57C on each CPU.

Talking with others, there is no issue with those temps and they can run fairly hot since they are workstation use. The TDP for each is 150, so 300 total is what both would be. A 360 rad should do just fine, but I can also put another 140mm at the bottom. Not sure about that or how it would help?
m
l
August 9, 2012 6:58:31 AM

an extra rad will always help man if you've got a small one down the bottom maybe consider running it like this.

res>pump>360rad>split to both CPU's>reconnect from CPU's>140 rad>res

In the end your water will equalize in temperature anyhow so the challenge you'll face is what is the best way to keep the average temperature as cool as you can. When your water equalizes in temperature you can play about with fan levels until you get to a temperature to noise level ratio you're happy with.
m
l
August 10, 2012 2:58:13 AM

The idea above sounds like a good solution to your problem, and there is plenty of space for those rads. If that wont be enough cooling, a 420 (3*140) rad easily fits in the top. and there are some nice 140 rads that are 80mm thick on the market now too (sorry I cant find a link on my phone, but I think they're made by alphacool)

After seeing TTLs video review (link posted earlier) I bought the switch 810 and its a great case. I fit all of my kit in it, and it looks alot better than the heavily modded old case with an extra radbox that I was previously using!
m
l
August 11, 2012 2:54:14 AM

Hi, I was just wondering what the dimensions are for the Switch 810 upper HDD cage. I am using a HD water block, and want to rout the tubing out to the middle of the case to connect to the reservoir. I was thinking I could rout it through the side of the cage, or if there is space, between the cage and the motherboard tray unless it leads directly to the cable management area. is there a gap between the cage and the motherboard tray that is not the cable management area?
m
l
August 14, 2012 5:03:18 AM

NathanOverkill said:
Hi, I was just wondering what the dimensions are for the Switch 810 upper HDD cage. I am using a HD water block, and want to rout the tubing out to the middle of the case to connect to the reservoir. I was thinking I could rout it through the side of the cage, or if there is space, between the cage and the motherboard tray unless it leads directly to the cable management area. is there a gap between the cage and the motherboard tray that is not the cable management area?

I will let u. Dimensions of the HDD cage on wednesday that when i get my 810
m
l
August 14, 2012 4:33:38 PM

Giby said:
I will let u. Dimensions of the HDD cage on wednesday that when i get my 810

Thanks!
m
l
August 15, 2012 5:57:58 PM

I'm in the process of building a WC rig with this case. First, I love NZXT cases (I switched from a Phantom 410 to the Switch 810 because I needed more room for the Rad and WC components). I'll try and answer these questions as best I can from my own experience with the case...

Will the Switch 810 fit a XSPC RX 360 radiator in the top of the case whilst avoiding any obstructions including the Mobo?

Unlike the phantom cases, the Switch 810 doesn't have that stupid chip obscuring radiators on top (by chip i mean the chip from the fan controller on the Phantoms). So the triple 140mm rad could fit if you really wanted to. HOWEVER, be aware that some modding might be required. I found that the the holes for the screws (for 140mm fans on top (or bottom) weren't properly alligned with my 420MM rad!). But as far as the height given on the top section of the case, YES, that rads will fit nicely. In fact, there's so much space that I decided to go crazy and put 2 140mm fans in that section, then screw the radiator under the case mount and add 2 more fans under the rad to push air in the rad....the motherboard is low enough to fit the whole thing.

***my attempt at imaging this with characters***

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Case top w/ air trap slider
-=-=- -=-=- 2 x 140mm pulling air up
__________ case mount
========= swiftech 420 mm Radiator
-=-=- -=-=- 2 x 140mm pushing air up

I've also heard it is possible to fit a 480 rad in the top is this true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ7jY1HhCek

Has anyone encountered any problems with things like cable management, case quality or any hampering qualities?

The case itself is pretty solid and i have not encountered any problems (aside from the holes in the mount not matching my radiator). I should say that I really miss the option of "fan control" given to the Phantom series. At the time, i figured I'd simply buy an NZXT Sentry Mix fan controller and add it to better control the airflow but NZXT's fan controller as all plagued with a stupid buzzing sound coming out of all my fans when hooked up to it (even their own NZXT fans!)...so i returned it and I'm now left with very few options to control my fans flow, everything's running on max, all fans are hooked up to the case's fan power plug). So ya, a proper case fan controller would have been nice (a the non buzzing NZXT fan controller option that is).

Maybe it's just me but as far as cable management goes, the side of the case (for me) isn't enough to properly store all that extra wiring from my power supply. But for most people, it's plenty. That said, don't even think about passing water cooling tubing, you won't have enough space, it's only meant for PSU wiring and SATA cables, nothing else). The switch 810 has a lot of rubber holes which is nicer than most case i've worked with.

I feel like i should mention that the top slider (to close or to open the air trap) is really stiff. I was expecting something a lot smoother, instead i'm left hoping i'm won't be breaking the handle everytime i close/open those air traps.

Is a second Radiator possible within the case without modding? if so, what size?

I don't know why you would want to add more rads but lets say you were just curious then there's 3 places you could technically put them (although I'd only recommend option 3).

1 - You can remove the 2 case bays. if you removed one, then you could add a 120 or 140 rad and if you removed both then a 360 or 420 rad. but I don't recommend it (where would you put those SSD/HDD drives? Maybe if you modded velcro-ing your drive to a wall in the case? Also, what I don't like is that you'd probably want to blow the air out in front of your case and be left with a single fan blowing air in your case (would be on the bottom center of your case)...i'd say some modding would be required to redirect the cold air to the front/back/up where the air then needs to get out.

2 - You could techically put it at the bottom of the case where a fan would be mounted on the "floor of the case", pushing air up into single 1-fan radiator that would sit on top of it. But then, you case would heat up pretty quickly and pushing hotter than usual air to the big top radiator. I think adding a radiator there would provide weaker the overall results you would get without it...

3 - for a second radiator, although not as pretty, I would personally put it outside your case and have the tubes going in/out at the back of your case (where you have 4 rubber holes for such uses). Again, if you want to compensate for better looks, i'd say modding would be required once again.

Instead of putting say a 480 rad and an additional rad....why not do this? (check video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNZ8OgR3WFc&feature=plcp

Hope this helps.

Alex
m
l
August 16, 2012 12:13:09 AM

Thanks for the very informative responses Alex! I guess i was asking about the extra rads because there may be some who want to cool copius amounts of hardware and people with over kill setups haha. but great links and i like the fact that you own the case but you can give un-biased opinions on the pros and cons, this will help a lot! from memory the phantom 410 is the mid case version isnt it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2012 12:30:46 AM

you can fit a 360mm/420mm rad on the top of switch without any modding or cutting but for 480mm rad,i am sure you have to cut the top of the case one extra fan mount.
but no worries,you can fit a 240mm/280mm rad at the bottom of the case.this might help-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LHjJ8sPe_8&feature=play...
m
l
August 16, 2012 2:05:00 PM

CrestfallenDesign said:
Thanks for the very informative responses Alex! I guess i was asking about the extra rads because there may be some who want to cool copius amounts of hardware and people with over kill setups haha. but great links and i like the fact that you own the case but you can give un-biased opinions on the pros and cons, this will help a lot! from memory the phantom 410 is the mid case version isnt it?

That's right, the Phantom 410 is a great mid-tower case (my favourite at the moment). I should say that although i prefer the Switch 810 for water cooling, the Phantom (full tower) case is much nicer and has fan controllers (although a little less roomy when it comes to putting radiators and other water cooling equipment). But if you're looking for a nice full tower without adding WC components, I'd recommend the Phantom over the Switch 810.
m
l
August 17, 2012 12:14:55 AM

I currently own the full tower phantom and its doing a good job with one 360 rad in it but i was looking at getting a bigger case so i can easily fit some big thick rads and lower Rpm fans to get quieter performance without modding too much. I was also looking at getting an XSPC case but im not sure whether i could justify the price of it :/ 
m
l
August 20, 2012 11:20:41 PM

Well i finished my build with the NZXT is a great case overal not perfect but good, i would have prefered aluminum instead of plastics but thtsme im picky

m
l
August 21, 2012 12:21:03 AM

I think everyone wishes it was alloy man but thats how they can keep the costs down, otherwise you'd be paying the same, if not more then the corsair 800D.
It'd be cool if you could get it painted as brushed alloy but i dont mind plastic as long as its not too shiny.
m
l
August 21, 2012 12:35:47 AM

At this price point and for air or watercooling this thing is a beast
Thats why i choose the matte black one , its not shiny :D 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 12:52:08 AM

@Giby,sweet build ;) 
m
l