Questions for NZXT Switch 810 Case owners/buyers.

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a thread that anyone can contribute to, to answer any Water cooling questions people would have about the NZXT Switch 810 case.

The reason for this is that i've noticed an increased popularity of this case for watercooling specifically and I myself would like to see some great reasons to buy it.

You could be an owner in need of an answer, a person looking to buy one or just plain curious. It would be much appreciated if any owners of this case could take their time to answer any questions asked, that way we too can get one step closer to working with this case. It could also be the one stop place for people to find answers to any problems they encounter with this case.

Heres a picture to show people what case im talking about if they dont already know.
main1_2000x2000.jpg

Cheers guys, looking forward to seeing some input :)

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I'll kick it off with a few questions i've been wondering for a while now.

-Will the Switch 810 fit a XSPC RX 360 radiator in the top of the case whilst avoiding any obstructions including the Mobo?

-I've also heard it is possible to fit a 480 rad in the top is this true?

-has anyone encountered any problems with things like cable management, case quality or any hampering qualities?

-Is a second Radiator possible within the case without modding? if so, what size?

Giby

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I ordered this case and personally i"ve seen reviews saying panels came broken specifically the top one, the HdD activity LED not workig but very rare, the XSPC RX should fit nicely. in pull push pull might be a tight fit, i will let you know when i get my case since i already have the RX360 and the RX 240here just wItig on te case, without modding just taking the bottom HDD cage out you can fit the RX 240 easily in push pull
Like i said ill give you a build log when i get my case next week

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Very helpful, cheers man, looking forward to seeing it. :) its good to see some answers already! I'm looking at getting the Matte Black Switch but i needed to know these things first before I commit :p are you going to theme it?

Giby

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hahaahahahahahagaahahahahahah :D :)
Theme it of course all green man maybe i went overkill but idgaf i got the matte black from frozencpu, just backordered it and getting it internally painted alien green and 95% of my cables are UV Green, case cables are sleeved as well and this is going to be my first watercooling build 0.0 i went all out and i will be taking my time :)
PS: i got the RX360 kit etc.. Cooling gpu and cpu

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Sounds very expensive :) haha if you've got that kind of money you'll be able to make a great looking machine!

I love your choice of color, especially for the fact that its in an NZXT case, they always seemed pretty alienlike to me (i currently own a Phantom.)

bit of a bitch finding green parts though hey? or were you planning on custom painting them? i'd imagine getting black or dark grey parts would set a nice contrast against the green interior.

Giby

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Shoud have thought about that, cuz all my cables are UV green but 2UV lights should help get that acid green looking good yes i think i spent about $2500 dollers XD and im only 16 thank my parents, yea it was but i think its worth it, now you can say we mexicans arnt poor XD sorry about the off topic

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012

you cant do it in quick reply unless you use the tags, you'll have to find an image hosting website to give your pictures urls then theres an insert image button and you paste the url in the box that appears.

Giby

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Yup i"ve seen it , personally i think its one of the best reviews out there because he goes over tiny details many don't
+1

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I am currently doing a duel CPU workstation right now using this case. It's the newer gunmetal special edition. They corrected a few small things in this version. What I can tell you after spending a lot of time with it is it is a very good case, but like all, there are issues you run into.

Since I am doing a workstation build with duel xeons, the mother board is the largest it will allow, EEB. You can only use 6 of the motherboard stand offs for my ASUs mobo, which has 10. It works, but it covers up some cable openings and such due to size.

Also, you will NOT have room for a bottom radiator, 240mm, if you get a larger power supply. Mine is an Enermax 1350 and it is extended in size. It comes to about half way to the second set of rubber feet in the bottom resting on them. The cables are thick and you can't bunch them up too close. They extend over par of the first fan opening on the bottom. I tried to put a 240mm rad there and you can not, at least with a large power supply like this.

The cable routing while good is limited some with an EEB mobo. The space between the side panel on the right needs more room. A lot of the thick cables my power supply has simply won't fit due to thickness/size when trying to put door on. There needs to be a bigger gap as you can run out of room to fit your cable runs.

Going to do water cooling soon. A 360mm rad will fit fine on top in both push/pull. Just not sure what all I need for 2 CPUs?

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
@HiTekJeff, i think if you get a nice thick 360 like an RX you could cover two of your xeons depending on whether you plan to oc them or not. otherwise maybe consider building a box to sit below or to the side of your case that you can put your radiators in so you only have to make room for a pump and res in your case, this way you could easily get some serious cooling going on, all you will have to do is rout your tubes through the grommets on the back or get some QDC's that fit in one of your GPU doors. This way it keeps the heated radiators outside of your case, makes it less crammed, better airflow for both your case and your radiators and if you plan it right it could be a lot easier to clean!

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012

Thanks for the info, been doing more research and found a few that may work for water cooling. One shows a setup where they didn't have room at bottom either. But took the hard drive cage out and set a real nice pump on top of the plate as a base for it.

I plan to run a single loop and won't be over locking the CPUs since the new E5 Xeons are clock locked by Intel, unlike their non workstation CPUs. The only reason for water.cooling is because under heavy load for high end rendering, they can get really hot. Otherwise, this will be a solid workstation build with no big OC.

Right new I'm using two Corsair H80 for cooling. Tried two H100, but the cords are too short to reach CPUs from bottom and you can only fit one H 100 in the top, the are 240mm.

Hope this helps others too. Will post progress and how things turn out.

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
@HiTekJeff
at best the h100's will par with high end air cooling man. the best thing to do is run your own custom loop.
if its just CPU's you want to cool try an XSPC RX 360 Raystorm kit. Then add an extra cpu block for your second cpu.
this will give you great quiet performance because you wont have to get a set of 2000rpm fans. :p if you havent already read the sticky, have a browse through that to get a basic idea.
theres a formula that you can follow to determine how much heat each radiator can expel.
and on the intel website they will show you how much heat each CPU can output.

HiTekJeff

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I can't mod or remove any more in the front, I need the drive cages and room. This is a large mobo and needs more room than a single CPU build. The H100 did not fit, just the space for one at the top as mentioned due to the short cable they have. Right now, the two h80 in push/pull config is giving me about 55-57C on each CPU.

Talking with others, there is no issue with those temps and they can run fairly hot since they are workstation use. The TDP for each is 150, so 300 total is what both would be. A 360 rad should do just fine, but I can also put another 140mm at the bottom. Not sure about that or how it would help?

CrestfallenDesign

Honorable
May 2, 2012
an extra rad will always help man if you've got a small one down the bottom maybe consider running it like this.

res>pump>360rad>split to both CPU's>reconnect from CPU's>140 rad>res

In the end your water will equalize in temperature anyhow so the challenge you'll face is what is the best way to keep the average temperature as cool as you can. When your water equalizes in temperature you can play about with fan levels until you get to a temperature to noise level ratio you're happy with.