More than one partition on a large HD?

templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I've got my system together and it's fully functioning (so far so good).

I have a 1 TB Western digital hard drive. I'm just wondering is it worth splitting it in half with two partitions? Any advantage to that?

I'm thinking one data partition, the other system. Will it have any effect on speed of access down the line?

Solution
There are a myriad of reasons to do that. I do it to give myself modularity. I want to reinstall windows? Delete the windows partition and install. Same for changing motherboards. I want to buy a new drive to complement one I have to make a RAID 0? Pop it in, move the programs/games partition over and change the drive letter. Messed up or got hit by a virus? It's stuck in one place. etc. etc.

Right now, I've got a 40ish GB XP partition, a 60 ish Win764Pro partition, a the rest of the terabye partition which is the programs games one atm. And a 640gig AAKS WD hard drive which is my data. I used to have both windows partitions on an old raptor, but they're now on the samsung spinpoint f3. The programs/games partition was on a RAID 0...

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
There are a myriad of reasons to do that. I do it to give myself modularity. I want to reinstall windows? Delete the windows partition and install. Same for changing motherboards. I want to buy a new drive to complement one I have to make a RAID 0? Pop it in, move the programs/games partition over and change the drive letter. Messed up or got hit by a virus? It's stuck in one place. etc. etc.

Right now, I've got a 40ish GB XP partition, a 60 ish Win764Pro partition, a the rest of the terabye partition which is the programs games one atm. And a 640gig AAKS WD hard drive which is my data. I used to have both windows partitions on an old raptor, but they're now on the samsung spinpoint f3. The programs/games partition was on a RAID 0 with two 160 gig drives.

Solution