Problems with New PC Build

Specs:

CPU: i5-750

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard w/ USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s - Retail

Video Card: XFX HD-585A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video ... - Retail

RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO - Retail

Monitor: SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

Optical Drive: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

Hard Disk Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I finished building my first PC yesterday. Everything booted up fine. I was able to install Windows 7 and all the other drivers for the monitor, video card, etc. Now my problem is that today while surfing the web and having RealTemp open and some other background processes running such as installing WoW and whatnot the computer would sort of slow down/freeze.

The monitor screen would go completely black. Then it would turn all green except for the taskbar area at the bottom which would stay black. Then little pieces of the desktop would show back up. Window(s) by window(s) and desktop icon(s) by icon(s). It seems like the computer is processing the mouse movements and keyboard typing fine and quickly. The problem seems to be that the monitor or maybe the video card or something seems to be showing, what the computer tells it to show, very slowly. Also, while playing music and the computer "freezes" the music would halt and play and halt and play and on and on.

I have no idea what could be wrong. Everything seems fine. The Mobo was able to detect all 4gigs of RAM, the Video Card, HDD, etc. etc. This "freeze-up" has happened four times now.

On a side note, I was able to shut it down when the "freeze-up" happened because as I said the computer seems to still respond to my input actions. It just shows what it did slowly. So, I was able to alt+ctrl+del to get the Windows 7 menu thing and press the shut down button.

I don't know if this problem is serious or will continue to happen but I would appreciate any useful information and feedback. Thank you.
12 answers Last reply
More about problems build
  1. double check that your memory is installed properly in the correct channels (slots should be of the same color)....otherwise it sounds like its most likely a software or driver conflict someplace.
  2. Yes, my memory slots are plugged into the right slots. My mobo wants them to be in slots 1 and 3 and they are :). Same color slots and all that stuff and the mobo detects all 4 gigs of ram properly so I'm pretty sure it isn't the memory sticks.

Would you have any idea what kind of software or driver would cause this kind of problem?
  3. The green screen could also be a cable issue, though that would not explain why your music "freezes". Are you using VGA? There might be a faulty pin(s) within your connector. Replacing it with another cable or DVI or something might be worth a shot.
  4. One thing that will causes random freezes is memory problems. The BIOS routines that detect the amount of memory and do a rudimentary test are completely inadequate for really testing memory.

Download and run memtest86+. Let it run over a weekend.
  5. Might be "Microsoft live update" downloading and installing software.
  6. +1 for jsc's suggestion to run memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/

Also, check that you have the latest driver for your GPU. I have seen a similar problem caused by an out of date driver. Check for latest here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I've also seen a similar problem that took a GPU driver update AND a motherboard BIOS update. If the previous two suggestions don't help (or if you just want to make sure you have the latest BIOS), look for updates here: http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3250

There is a relatively new F6 BIOS shown there. If you update, use the BIOS QFlash utility. Do not try to use the software driven @BIOS utility.
  7. Can someone tell me how to use the memtest86+? Do I need a USB flash drive or a CD in order to run the test?

Also I do have the latest GPU driver but how do I check if i have the latest motherboard BIOS update?

And what do you mean use the BIOS QFlash utility instead of the software driven @BIOS utility? Do you mean there is a program called "BIOS QFlash" that I need to download and that helps properly update my BIOS?
  8. haremxnoxjutsu said:
    Can someone tell me how to use the memtest86+? Do I need a USB flash drive or a CD in order to run the test?

Yes, you need one or the other. I made a bootable USB stick to run it because at the time I couldn't get my DVD drive working. Frankly, a bootable CD is the easiest way to go. Did you go to the website link I posted?: http://www.memtest.org/

From that site you can download a bootable ISO. With Windows 7 you can finally burn an ISO to a CD/DVD so this process has been greatly simplified.

Quote:
    I do have the latest GPU driver

If you don't mind checking, what is the version number of the GPU driver that is installed?

Quote:
    how do I check if i have the latest motherboard BIOS update?

Do you have CPU-Z? If not, you can get it here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Run CPU-Z and go to the Mainboard tab. In the BIOS section it will tell you what Version you have. What does it say? According to Gigabyte's website the latest version available for your board is F6: http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3250

If CPU-Z says you have a different version than F6 you should consider upgrading.

Quote:
    And what do you mean use the BIOS QFlash utility instead of the software driven @BIOS utility? Do you mean there is a program called "BIOS QFlash" that I need to download and that helps properly update my BIOS?

There's no program to download. If you restart your PC and enter BIOS you will see an option to enter Q-Flash. However we don't need to go down this path unless it turns out you don't have the latest BIOS and memtest86+ doesn't show any errors.
  9. The video card driver I have now is 8.681.0.0 posted on 11/24/2009.

Hmmm my motherboard is version F3 so it seems I'm going to have to get a USB stick to update my BIOS and run the memtest86+ ASAP.

Also, I noticed that the freezing happened twice so far when I maximize a video that I'm watching on youtube. Does that help at all to maybe isolate the problem? It also happened once while I had no other programs on and was just in the game WoW.

I just checked the ATI site and it seems I do need a driver update for my video card. So I'm going to go ahead and update that real quick.
  10. Well I went to the ATI site and got the latest 9.12 version driver and installed and when I check to see what driver I have installed it still says it is the version 8.681.0.0. Why does it do that?
  11. haremxnoxjutsu said:
    Well I went to the ATI site and got the latest 9.12 version driver and installed and when I check to see what driver I have installed it still says it is the version 8.681.0.0. Why does it do that?

I find that a little obnoxious, too. I think the 9.12 is refering to the Catalyst Control Center package. But it would be nice if somewhere on that screen they also listed the version of the drivers.
  12. haremxnoxjutsu said:
    Also, I noticed that the freezing happened twice so far when I maximize a video that I'm watching on youtube. Does that help at all to maybe isolate the problem? It also happened once while I had no other programs on and was just in the game WoW.

I had this exact problem when I maximized video on Hulu. The fix was the two steps I've been suggesting: 1) Make sure your video card drivers are up to date and 2) Get the latest BIOS

Since you have the latest GPU drivers, it looks like flashing BIOS is in your future. Honestly, since you have one of the newer boards I thought you might be able to skip step 2. But may be they hadn't isolated the problem until the A boards were in production. I would still run memtest86+, but I'll include steps here for updating BIOS so you can start to plan.

Here's a good guide for updating BIOS: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios-flashing-how-qflash-guide-27576/

You want to use QFlash. Here's the steps:
    1. Download latest BIOS
    2. Unpack the downloaded file (double-click it/execute it, it's self-extracting) placing the extracted files onto your USB stick
    3. With the USB stick in your new PC, restart the PC
    4. Enter BIOS
    5. Enter QFlash - I believe using F8 but it will say at the bottom of your screen (it is possible to enter Qflash without entering BIOS, either way is fine)
    6. Find your USB drive (likely labeled HDD)
    7. Install the new BIOS
    8. Once that is done, back within the BIOS, choose "Load Optimized Defaults"
    9. Save and exit, let the machine reboot
    10. Re-enter BIOS to make additional changes as you see fit
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems