themuffinmanm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hello, I'm trying to fix my brothers computer. I just can't seem to figure this one out. Every time I turn it on it doesnt post, boot into windows, ete. All it does is show a - thats it just a -. It's very odd in many ways.
Specs
Intel pentium D
Intel motherboard
Generic video card
corsair 650W PSU
1gb of DDR2
80 gig seagate
DVD drive

Hopefuly someone has been trough this and knows what to do. I've tried resetting the BIOS, no luck. If i can recall i remember the CPU was overheating alot. Thats been fixed though.

Thanks, Muffins. :hello:

JoshBaity

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
last time this happened to me it only did it a few times and then absolutely nothing. are you still getting the - (not even flashing like it's in dos or something) just the - in the top left corner. After a few hard boots it didn't work at all. The hard drive was destroyed and had to replace it.

Hope that's not the problem for you, but that's what it was for me. ask your bro if it beeped a few times... swap the ram? first step would be to try the onboard graphics

The other attempt would be to unhook the hard drive from the mobo, and the power supply and see if it'll boot bios. Otherwise I'd have no clue.