What is the best configuration for a desktop for Animation

manjunathbk

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
My son who is studying Animation course in Bangalore wants to buy a Desktop computer with best configuration for 3D Animation with MAYA.
Can you please suggest me the best configuration and the list of all the components .

Autodesk now handles multiple cores well and is a fairly open platform.

If money were not option I'd buy a 2P workstation and put two Zeons or Opterons in it with 32Gb of RAM and a couple of workstation graphics cards.

That said a decent quad core system (overclocked i7-920 to 3.5) with a 5850 or 5870 ATI card and two 1Gb HDD's (shortstroked) or 2 SSD's in RAID0, with a couple of 1Gb drives for storage, and 12Gb of RAM would be a lot cheaper and do the job well.
Have a 750W PSU instakked and a quality case with two 120mm fans to keep the innards cool.

You might need a tecky to put together the above ... but it will work fine ... with a decent aftermarket heatpipe cooler (where you live it gets hot in Summer).

Cheers.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

Also ad to it 2x2TB HDD for storage and OCZ has a pci board that comes with 2 SDD in raid and the motherboard can see it as one and you can install you software on it like a normal hard drive. Buy a 512 Gb for temporary storage and operating system. The speed on that is incredible, he will see the difference.