H55/57 and the Clarckdale and Crossfire Compatability

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • RAM
  • Crossfire
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 2, 2010 8:02:21 PM

I am thinking of getting a new CPU and Motherboard (new ram too I suppose since my old ram will no longer work on my new board) to replace my current system, I have an older Core 2 Duo.
I have a HD4870 and I want to crossfire it, I was going to get a i3-550 3.3ghz cpu and a new board, but I am not sure if the board will support crossfire.
I seem to get mixed answers and some of what I am reading is saying that the H55/57 will not allow Crossfire if you have a Clarkdale core with the 32NM construction. I was wondering if this is true and if so what my options are.

Also can I assume that any p55 chipset will support Crossfire? I figure since it was out before the integrated graphics thing, then there will not be any issues with the clarkdales and the integrated graphics ? Also, what are the real limitation with Crossfire and h55/57 chipsets. In general how can I know if the motherboard will support Crossfire?

More about : h55 clarckdale crossfire compatability

a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2010 8:28:53 PM

I'm sure that you can't CrossFireX/SLI with the Clarkdales on the H55 chipset, but I think you can on the P55, not sure.
m
l
August 2, 2010 10:18:00 PM

So I should get a p55 then, is there a way to check? What I have read seems to say that p55s CAN, but there are exceptions.... I don't want to find out that I spent 200 or more dollars on the exception
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2010 12:30:43 PM

Best answer selected by njfife.
m
l