Brand New Comp. Installing Windows XP. Blue Stop Screen 0x0000007B.

v3nerator

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
My Equipment:
Motherboard: ASrock Pro4 1155
CPU: I5 3570K
RAM: CRUCIAL 8GB 4X2 DDR3 1333
HDD: CRUCIAL M4 128GB SSD
HDD: 500GB SATAII
PSU: CORSAIR GS600
--
After getting everything all put in its place I went to install Windows XP 32bit and i came up with a blue stop screen.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard disk controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
--
Restarted and tried to install again and got the same error. So I removed the Crucial m4 SSD and replaced it with my mechanical SATAII HDD and got the same error message.

Decided to install Linux since it was free and available at 11PM. Downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit and that installed just fine, no issues at all.

My bios settings for my hard disk is:
SATA CONTROLLER(S): ENABLED
SATA MODE SELECTION: AHCI
ASMedia SATA3 MODE: AHCI
SATA BOOT ROM: tried ENABLED and DISABLED

--
Could it by my Windows XP CD? I think I've used it about 2-3 time on different computer through its life course. All with different motherboards.

Could it be my hardware? If so what should I get replaced?

Would a BIOS update help me?

Solution
The 0x07B is typically a driver related error, and given this is all very new hardware, I'm going to go with the answer that XP on this system is a doomed project from lack of driver support. Plus you're installing a 32-bit OS on a system with 8GB of RAM, so you'd lose access to over half of that RAM. You should be going with Vista or Windows 7, or you could even wait a little longer and take advantage of the Windows 8 promotion going on.

You will have considerably better results, which includes a computer you can actually use, almost guaranteed.

cl-scott

Honorable
The 0x07B is typically a driver related error, and given this is all very new hardware, I'm going to go with the answer that XP on this system is a doomed project from lack of driver support. Plus you're installing a 32-bit OS on a system with 8GB of RAM, so you'd lose access to over half of that RAM. You should be going with Vista or Windows 7, or you could even wait a little longer and take advantage of the Windows 8 promotion going on.

You will have considerably better results, which includes a computer you can actually use, almost guaranteed.

Solution

v3nerator

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

So my next question is, do you think since Linux installed just fine, its mostly likely not my hardware right? Just a software or drive issue?

cl-scott

Honorable
It's not a guarantee, just because of some of the low level differences between Linux and Windows and how they interact with hardware, but the fact that Linux installed without an issue is a very strong indicator of that being true, yes.

v3nerator

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks cl-scott for all your help. I went home last night and downloaded an evaluation copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and that installed just fine. I did change the SATA Mode to IDE from AHCI in the bios but I'm not sure if that did anything because that's when i was trying to install XP.

Do you think it would be better to change back to AHCI? Or would it be OK to leave it on IDE?

TRENDING THREADS