Solved

Chassis cooling fan

Hello,
Today i bought a new chassis cooling fan, i installed it to the case and the 3pin connector on the motherboard, after doing that the fan was running very very fast and it's making a "Bzzzzzzzz" noise, i took a look and i found out that the power supply fan was running very slow and it stops from time to time while the case fan is running very fast and making that noise, but now it's running just fine... it's not making any noise or anything, but everytime it makes the noise again...

What should i do ? :heink:

Is that normal ? Is it damaged ? Should i return it to the store ?
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about chassis cooling
  1. Hi Sprunk,

    Depending on what type of PSU you have, it is common for better ones to have variable speed fans that accelerate and decelerate on the heat/load on the unit.

    When the case fan is plugged into the motherboard -- you can control the speed of the fan from your PC. By default it is probably set to 100%. You should be able to turn it down. Depending on what kind of motherboard you have, you can either control that from the bios, or use software on the PC to control fan speed.

    Is it possible the fan is rubbing on something that makes it buzz? Otherwise its probably just the speed its going at (too fast).

    Can you post your motherboard, PSU, and OS info? This will give us a better idea of how to proceed.
  2. Would help to know the fan and psu in question. Your psu might turn it's own fan off if its at a low enough load. And as deadlock said, the case fan your talking about is probably running at fullspeed which is probably what is causing the noise.
  3. -OS : Windows 7 Professional 64-Bits
    -Motherboard : ASRock G31M-S R2.0
    -RAM : 4GB
    -Video Card : NVIDIA GTS 450
    -CPU : Dual Core E2200 Overclocked @2.50Ghz
    -Power supply : Standard 400W PSU

    Thanks i'll try to modify the speed
  4. Sprunk95 said:
    -OS : Windows 7 Professional 64-Bits
    -Motherboard : ASRock G31M-S R2.0
    -RAM : 4GB
    -Video Card : NVIDIA GTS 450
    -CPU : Dual Core E2200 Overclocked @2.50Ghz
    -Power supply : Standard 400W PSU

    Thanks i'll try to modify the speed


    Bud, you didn't even list the fan or the psu make and model. =/

    Also, I don't think your motherboard is able to control fan speeds besides the CPU fan header.
  5. Best answer
    I didnt think G31 chipsets usually overclocked either! Guess I learn something new everyday.

    According to http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-S%20R2.0/

    It looks like you have something called a "Chassis Fan Tachometer" on your motherboard. I'm betting if you find info on that in your book then you will have the answer.
  6. deadlockedworld said:
    It looks like you have something called a "Chassis Fan Tachometer" on your motherboard. I'm betting if you find info on that in your book then you will have the answer.


    Just means it can read the fans RPM.
  7. skaz said:
    Just means it can read the fans RPM.


    Of course, but whats the point of putting that on a mobo that didnt support a variable speed fan? Its evidence that he can change the speed.
  8. deadlockedworld said:
    Of course, but whats the point of putting that on a mobo that didnt support a variable speed fan? Its evidence that he can change the speed.


    Not necessarily. Just because it has a tachometer to read the RPM doesn't mean the fan will be controllable. 3 pin fans can be controlled by voltage regulation, as can 2 pin fans (which don't have a tachometer).
  9. Voltage regulation is exactly what we are trying to do...
  10. When the fan starts turning very fast, the power supply fan starts turning very very slow, that's the thing that's disturbing me i don't know if that's normal for my PC's health
  11. Best answer selected by Sprunk95.
  12. Sprunk95 said:
    When the fan starts turning very fast, the power supply fan starts turning very very slow, that's the thing that's disturbing me i don't know if that's normal for my PC's health


    So did you find any info on fan control, etc. for your motherboard? I want to make sure its actually working!
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooling Fan Cases Overclocking