Sprunk95

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hello,
Today i bought a new chassis cooling fan, i installed it to the case and the 3pin connector on the motherboard, after doing that the fan was running very very fast and it's making a "Bzzzzzzzz" noise, i took a look and i found out that the power supply fan was running very slow and it stops from time to time while the case fan is running very fast and making that noise, but now it's running just fine... it's not making any noise or anything, but everytime it makes the noise again...

What should i do ? :heink:

Is that normal ? Is it damaged ? Should i return it to the store ?

Solution
I didnt think G31 chipsets usually overclocked either! Guess I learn something new everyday.

According to http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-S%20R2.0/

It looks like you have something called a "Chassis Fan Tachometer" on your motherboard. I'm betting if you find info on that in your book then you will have the answer.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hi Sprunk,

Depending on what type of PSU you have, it is common for better ones to have variable speed fans that accelerate and decelerate on the heat/load on the unit.

When the case fan is plugged into the motherboard -- you can control the speed of the fan from your PC. By default it is probably set to 100%. You should be able to turn it down. Depending on what kind of motherboard you have, you can either control that from the bios, or use software on the PC to control fan speed.

Is it possible the fan is rubbing on something that makes it buzz? Otherwise its probably just the speed its going at (too fast).

Can you post your motherboard, PSU, and OS info? This will give us a better idea of how to proceed.

skaz

Distinguished
Would help to know the fan and psu in question. Your psu might turn it's own fan off if its at a low enough load. And as deadlock said, the case fan your talking about is probably running at fullspeed which is probably what is causing the noise.

Sprunk95

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
-Motherboard : ASRock G31M-S R2.0
-RAM : 4GB
-Video Card : NVIDIA GTS 450
-CPU : Dual Core E2200 Overclocked @2.50Ghz
-Power supply : Standard 400W PSU

Thanks i'll try to modify the speed

skaz

Distinguished

Bud, you didn't even list the fan or the psu make and model. =/

Also, I don't think your motherboard is able to control fan speeds besides the CPU fan header.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I didnt think G31 chipsets usually overclocked either! Guess I learn something new everyday.

According to http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-S%20R2.0/

It looks like you have something called a "Chassis Fan Tachometer" on your motherboard. I'm betting if you find info on that in your book then you will have the answer.

Solution

skaz

Distinguished

Just means it can read the fans RPM.

skaz

Distinguished

Not necessarily. Just because it has a tachometer to read the RPM doesn't mean the fan will be controllable. 3 pin fans can be controlled by voltage regulation, as can 2 pin fans (which don't have a tachometer).

Sprunk95

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
When the fan starts turning very fast, the power supply fan starts turning very very slow, that's the thing that's disturbing me i don't know if that's normal for my PC's health

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

So did you find any info on fan control, etc. for your motherboard? I want to make sure its actually working!