Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Socket
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2010 9:55:54 AM

does anyone know of any manufacturer making a dual socket AM2 OR AM3 motherboard ?? or are we only into 1207's for multi CPU for AMD

More about : am2 am3 dual socket motherboard

a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 11:39:09 AM

No known dual socket AM2 or AM3 mobos...dual socket for AMD is reserved for the 2xxx Opteron series...

Not really convinced of the need/desire for a dual socket AM2/3 mobo given that it is recognized that quad cores (especially the 8 threaded i7's) are more than enough for the desktop and gaming enthusiast. If there were such a mobo it would truly only appeal to the most niche of markets and enthusiasts; much like I can't imagine there is a large market for the recently announced dual Skt1366 from EVGA.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 242 V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 11:42:33 AM

AMD requires socket 1207 Opteron processors.
m
l
January 8, 2010 12:31:49 PM

I think much like sli or crossfire there is need for cheap dual socket motherborad...Because the processor you bought today will certainly not last for more than two years but if you have got a dual socket mobo then one can drop another processor maybe after some time to meet the requirements of the future..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 242 V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 1:14:40 PM

Few dual socket motherboards support Crossfire or SLI, if any. Those motherboards are designed for workstations or servers. Building a system based on Xeon or Opteron processors also is more expensive, a large case is required, etc.
m
l
January 8, 2010 10:27:12 PM

the reason for my posting the question is that I can see 2 AM3 965's would cost ~ 1/3 of an intel i7 975EE. the 2 AMD processors combined would make for quite a powerful machine, likely equal too or more capable than the single, much more expensive intel processor. but how much would such a motherboard cost ?? hopefully a lot less than the ~$800 differance between the processor "packages".
I wonder if anyone from ASUS is reading this post .... hum.

I do think it would be a very interesting assembly

what do you guys think ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2010 10:34:28 PM

The machine might be more powerful in the sense that it could do certain tasks more effectively, due to having more cores to run more threads on.

However, for the mainstream user, this isn't going to show any sort of improvement, as most consumer applications these days aren't written to make effective use of a lot of cores. It would certainly be interesting, but mostly for bragging rights or possibly doing a lot of Folding@Home processing (or similar).

In short, it would be cool for a certain niche of enthusiast, but due to the small demographic it would appeal to, boards like this are unlikely to be built due to highly limited sales.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 10:41:10 PM

Found the first problem, you are comparing it to a 975EE, that is reserved for those wanting to break OCing records and morons with too much money.

Im curious what you think a second 965 would help you with, only video editing really makes use of that many cores. If you really need a lot of cores why not go for a Xeon build that will give you 8 physical and 16 logical cores for only slightly more than the price of a single i7 975EE and would blow the 965's away easily.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just seems silly to me to spend that much money and not get the best possible performance. I do like AMD but if you are going to try to do a setup for as many processing cores as possible intel definitely wins.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 242 V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 10:42:55 PM

BadKharmaCDN said:
the reason for my posting the question is that I can see 2 AM3 965's would cost ~ 1/3 of an intel i7 975EE. the 2 AMD processors combined would make for quite a powerful machine, likely equal too or more capable than the single, much more expensive intel processor. but how much would such a motherboard cost ?? hopefully a lot less than the ~$800 differance between the processor "packages".
I wonder if anyone from ASUS is reading this post .... hum.

I do think it would be a very interesting assembly

what do you guys think ?
Since a 965 is missing the logic to run in a dual socket motherboard, the cost is a moot point. You have to compare 2 Opterons against the i7 975EE.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2010 9:50:03 PM

i want this too, because i jsut finished saving up alot for me to build a computer, i want dual am3 socket pehmons II x6's but i cnat find a mobo, im mainly doing this because i multitask on my computer alot, and my network im plannign on making a virtual desktop for my slower computers to use also the i7 extreme 6 core is nearly $1000 and the amd one is $300
m
l
May 3, 2010 11:12:00 PM

Alright, I'll donate some input to this since I run dual Xeon 5500s in a workstation.

Performance for everyday tasks is minimal, especially since your effectively running 16 logical cores. Stress with 12 open IE Windows, Chrome, 2 Windows XP Virtual Machines, and WMP tasks the computer to about 6-10% CPU utilization. Most applications are not multithreaded beyond a few. Fallout 3 for example is multi threaded, but it dosen't tax even my single quad Xeon workstation.

Alot of applications even now that aren't designed for the enterprise, or require alot of power don't utilize all the power a single chip is putting out, much less two.
The other thing to consider is alot of dual socket boards also require ECC ram, which is alot costlier, and don't have a whole lot of SATA connectors (SAS is preferred), but some do support SLI/Crossfire, I BELIEVE ( 2x full x16 PCIe slots).

Running a dual chip board is also expensive as you have to have twice the resources avaliable that you normally would, so instead of 4GB of ram 8GB is the recommended minimum, twice the power draw, etc. It all adds up fast, infact this dual Xeon workstation I purchased 2 mos ago cost about $3.5k USD (with minimal upgrades, FX 580 graphics, 2x 147GB SAS HDD, 8GB Ram).

Oh, but the one thing that just occured to me, is that any crossfire setup, even the fabled HD5970 would not be CPU hindered in this case...
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2010 4:24:13 PM

Just a little note on my own. I stumbled across this thread looking for dual-socket AM3 boards. A few years back I ran dual AMD 4800+ chips which blew away then current intel junkers.
I was holding out hope that AMD would move along DC boards for the current AM3 chips as well. I already have one PIIx4 and would gladly shell out for two PIIx6 chips if I had a board to put them in.
I think the idea is generally UNDERRATED in regard to performance. With a single PIIx4 and adequate ram (16gb) I can watch a high-res CBHD film at 1600p, encode some films in Ultra Video Converter, Rip a DVD with AnyDVD and burn a disc all at the same time.
I rather enjoy multitasking IN THE BACKGROUND. Something even the top-end overpriced over-valued over-rated intel chips were never good at.
With AMD, I've grown accustom to BACKGROUND multitasking. Why not twice the fun? And twice the productivity. 12 REAL cores/threads for less than $1200. Crossfire, and 64Gb ram?

As for large cases and power supplies? What true poweruser has a mini-tower? Full towers are the norm in high-end gaming and performance rigs. And they generally are in the 200-500 range; same as Aluminium mid- cases. And if you're thinking of Crossfire, or, gasp, SLI; you should have a 1000w+ supply anyway.

Direct Responses:
GhislainG...
Asus, Gigabyte, X-Game, and many others have both been releasing multi-video compatible dual socket gaming boards from the time of the K6 and K62; my first experience with advanced computing, overclocking, and timing settings. Is there a need? No, but a real desire.

Coldsleep...
See my note above. It's not about using 12 cores on one program. It's about being productive with more programs at one time. Think using 4 cores for a game your playing, dedicate three more to a video editor, and another to a background virus scanner. Toss in an internet download and some, LEGAL, bittorrent activity on a dual-threaded downloader.... See the point here...!

sk1939....
One at a time...
First, most current iterations of video software is multithreaded, as are ALL DX11 games.
You're also looking at the WRONG thing from the poweruser's pov. We, (dare I include myself in this group?) are not interested in JUST doing things faster; rather doing more things in less time.

Are 12 cores useful playing Portal 2? Probably not. But when doing, say, 10 tasks at once? Believe it.

Expensive? Dual chip AMD PIIx4/x6 setups will still be astronomically lower in cost than a single I7 setup, all other things being equal. Ram is so inexpensive these days.... Even low end computers such as Dell come with 6gigs and the average HP comes with 7. If you're building your own computer from scratch, chances are you're using 8 gigs, if not 12, 16, or even 32.
You also miss the point that, assuming things being done historically, with the 890FX-DC(xxx) chipset and PIIX4/PIIx6-x64 chips, you're looking at DDR3 memory, not EC/C or DCVM.
AMD's 890gx/fx/ix chipset supports 70 PCIe threads on on 38 available of 42 lanes. Pared with the generally mandatory 850sb chip, SATA 3 (aka SATA 6gbs) is built in. NOT SAS.
You're comparing Oranges to Grapes. Dualsocket performance MBs are not server boards. We're not dropping Opterons here, we're talking about PII chips. And a dual socket board for Phenom chips would, MUST, be designed differently than an Opteron board.

All said; HAS anyone actually FOUND a dual socket AM3 board rated for 85w-125w/socket?
m
l
April 15, 2011 11:48:05 AM

hunter315 said:
Found the first problem, you are comparing it to a 975EE, that is reserved for those wanting to break OCing records and morons with too much money.

Im curious what you think a second 965 would help you with, only video editing really makes use of that many cores. If you really need a lot of cores why not go for a Xeon build that will give you 8 physical and 16 logical cores for only slightly more than the price of a single i7 975EE and would blow the 965's away easily.

Just seems silly to me to spend that much money and not get the best possible performance. I do like AMD but if you are going to try to do a setup for as many processing cores as possible intel definitely wins.

I would love something like this for mathematical computation. I write a lot of my own code (usual designed to use all the processing power possible). It isn't unusual for code to use 16+ cores (on a cluster) for 2-3 weeks. The thing I don't like about the clusters is core speed (usually ~2 ghz).
m
l
March 21, 2012 11:09:01 PM

BadKharmaCDN said:
does anyone know of any manufacturer making a dual socket AM2 OR AM3 motherboard ?? or are we only into 1207's for multi CPU for AMD

Yes I am building one right now, all I need is an ATX 4 pin to 8pin connecter to power the MoBo...
This thing is BAD A** I only dreamed of this mother board when I was in Highschool!!! Now I have one
Its and ASUS KFSN4-DRE ))) Sporting 2X Optiron 2.6Gigs processors with 8 Gigs 667Mhz ECC Ram
I have no freaking Idea yet what it will be used for, Im still learning about its uses, Im using my Mothers old Huge Tower)))) origionaly from 1997 then rebuilt in 2001 using and ASUS pentium 3. It was soooo Cool when I removed the old MoBo and rearranged the mounting spacers and the Giant duel socket mobo fit right in like it was origionaly designed for this tower))).
I will have a pic soon, and its going to be my Avatar

If anyone has a suggestion on what cool things I could do with all this POWER I would love too hear from U
m
l
April 17, 2012 2:46:19 PM

solarliving said:
Yes I am building one right now, all I need is an ATX 4 pin to 8pin connecter to power the MoBo...
This thing is BAD A** I only dreamed of this mother board when I was in Highschool!!! Now I have one
Its and ASUS KFSN4-DRE ))) Sporting 2X Optiron 2.6Gigs processors with 8 Gigs 667Mhz ECC Ram
I have no freaking Idea yet what it will be used for, Im still learning about its uses, Im using my Mothers old Huge Tower)))) origionaly from 1997 then rebuilt in 2001 using and ASUS pentium 3. It was soooo Cool when I removed the old MoBo and rearranged the mounting spacers and the Giant duel socket mobo fit right in like it was origionaly designed for this tower))).
I will have a pic soon, and its going to be my Avatar

If anyone has a suggestion on what cool things I could do with all this POWER I would love too hear from U

-----------
Just for the sake of discussion.. I built two systems: one with an 8 core AMD 8150 on an ASUS sabertooth the other 6core I-7 on a GIGA G58. Both at ~3 Ghz nominal both with 16 gig. In running the same finite element software which is 'compute intensive', the AMD is about three times faster, not 10% not 100%, but 300%. I could not care less about gaming or video, although they both have Nvidea Quadro's
I would love to see a dual socket AM3+. I would expect and am investigating an AMD 6200 series since ASUS does have a C32 dual socket board.

btw the AMD 8150 in performance mode ( bios selected on the ASUS ) clocks at 4.14 Ghz according to win7 and cpuz. Also a SSD did not speed any calculations.
pb
m
l
June 21, 2013 7:39:37 PM

i wish there was a dual socket AM3 motherboard so i could get another FX 8120 , i currenlty have one FX 8120 (8 cores) overclocked to 4.2 ghz
m
l
May 24, 2014 6:50:03 AM

don't know any.
m
l
!