Laptop 2.5" SATA on a desktop PC - Bios long beeps

I had upgraded my laptop hard drive from a 320GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio Black drive to a 120GB SSD. I want to use the WD 320GB drive on my HTPC that is currently using a pretty old maxtor 300GB, to mostly cut down on the disk seek noise (and I am pretty sure it will at least be a tad faster). However, when I hooked up the SATA drive using a SATA cable, and using the SATA power supply (both tested to be working), the PC does not boot at all and the bios gives out long beeps continually. If I remove the disk everything works ok. The laptop drive works ok in a usb enclosure. The HTPC is an old Athlon X2 4200 based board with 2.5GB of DDR2 RAM.

I though we could easily use laptop SATA drives on a desktop. Am I missing something?
6 answers Last reply
More about laptop sata desktop bios long beeps
  1. No, you are correct that laptop and desktop SATA connectors (data and power) are the same. Should not be an issue to use the drive. I would try it on boot drive sata port -- of course it will not boot -- but maybe the board has a bad sata connector.
  2. I tried different SATA ports, bios still beeps. There are a bunch of jumper pins on the hard drive, but no diagram on the drive. Do any have to be shorted for this to work?
  3. You may need to jumper pins 5 and 6, depending on your motherboard. HERE is some additional information.
  4. Unfortunately, there is only 1 row of pins on the laptop drive, like the picture below:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2008/06/WD_Scorpio_Black.jpg
  5. vvume said:
    Unfortunately, there is only 1 row of pins on the laptop drive, like the picture below:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2008/06/WD_Scorpio_Black.jpg

Then you need no jumpers as shown HERE
  6. Thanks for the link. I guess something else is up then. Thanks for all the tips.

RealBeast said:
    Then you need no jumpers as shown HERE
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Laptops SATA Storage