Sign in with
Your question

Laptop 2.5" SATA on a desktop PC - Bios long beeps

Last response: in Storage
December 27, 2011 6:50:48 PM

I had upgraded my laptop hard drive from a 320GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio Black drive to a 120GB SSD. I want to use the WD 320GB drive on my HTPC that is currently using a pretty old maxtor 300GB, to mostly cut down on the disk seek noise (and I am pretty sure it will at least be a tad faster). However, when I hooked up the SATA drive using a SATA cable, and using the SATA power supply (both tested to be working), the PC does not boot at all and the bios gives out long beeps continually. If I remove the disk everything works ok. The laptop drive works ok in a usb enclosure. The HTPC is an old Athlon X2 4200 based board with 2.5GB of DDR2 RAM.

I though we could easily use laptop SATA drives on a desktop. Am I missing something?
a b D Laptop
a c 318 G Storage
December 27, 2011 7:49:27 PM

No, you are correct that laptop and desktop SATA connectors (data and power) are the same. Should not be an issue to use the drive. I would try it on boot drive sata port -- of course it will not boot -- but maybe the board has a bad sata connector.
m
l
December 27, 2011 8:59:00 PM

I tried different SATA ports, bios still beeps. There are a bunch of jumper pins on the hard drive, but no diagram on the drive. Do any have to be shorted for this to work?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 318 G Storage
December 28, 2011 12:46:40 AM

You may need to jumper pins 5 and 6, depending on your motherboard. HERE is some additional information.
m
l
December 28, 2011 6:41:30 PM

Thanks for the link. I guess something else is up then. Thanks for all the tips.

RealBeast said:
Then you need no jumpers as shown HERE

m
l
!