Sign in with
Your question

Help installing an ATI 4350 Low Profile on a Gateway SX2800

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2010 12:42:51 AM

Hello, I just got a low profile ATI 4350 graphics card. I've tried to install it into my Gateway SX2800 slim tower, but I can't get it to fit! I see the open slot, but it's just too large. Can anyone either help me out with this or possibly link me to a site that could walk me through it? I'm pretty accident prone when it comes to installing computer hardware so if someone could also give me a short walk through of what to do after installing it I would be really grateful. Thanks!
a c 1409 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 1:48:48 AM

Step 1 take the side panel of
step 2 remove the blank from the back opening for the retention bracket
step3 insert the card into the pci-e slot on the motherboard, I believe it is the top one, and secure the retention bracket.
step 4 remount side panel.
m
l
January 4, 2010 1:59:47 AM

I've tried doing this, but I can't get the card to fit in the slot! The giant fan-like object on the front of the card is making it too large to fit.....It has screws on it though, can I take those off?
m
l
Related resources
a c 1409 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 2:01:27 AM

So it is running into the top of the case?
m
l
January 4, 2010 2:31:51 AM

Yep, that's exactly what's happening!
m
l
a c 1409 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 2:56:36 AM

what brand is the card? usually 4350 don't have a giant fan!
m
l
a c 1409 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 3:21:22 AM

The problem with that card is the raised heat sink! The only solution I see is that you try do do an exchange with newegg (if that is where you bought it) and get this gigabyte card instead which is a true single slot card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... If you look at the pictures it does not have a raised heat sink like the Asus card.
m
l
January 4, 2010 3:28:53 AM

Thanks Rolli59, I'll definitely return this one to Newegg. I can get the one you recommended...are there any others in that price range though that you'd recommend more? Thanks again for your help!
m
l
a c 1409 U Graphics card
January 4, 2010 3:41:16 AM

You can take a look at these two http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... they are more powerful but if you look at the pictures you see that you will have to swap the brackets on them to make them low profile. The powercolor low profile brackets look better thought out.
m
l
April 3, 2010 4:28:34 PM

I bought the same computer and upgraded the graphics card 4 months ago. After playing older games (Republic Commando, Battlefront II) for 4 months, I believe that I fried the graphics card. Could this have been a PSU issue?

What PSUs would work best for the cards you mentioned in the most recent post and do you think those cards would fit in the slimline case? The space around the pci-e x16 slot is very small.
m
l
July 15, 2010 3:45:50 AM

Spectre6 said:
I bought the same computer and upgraded the graphics card 4 months ago. After playing older games (Republic Commando, Battlefront II) for 4 months, I believe that I fried the graphics card. Could this have been a PSU issue?

What PSUs would work best for the cards you mentioned in the most recent post and do you think those cards would fit in the slimline case? The space around the pci-e x16 slot is very small.

Radeon 5570 works without a PSU upgrade for that system, been using it for 4 months now. Card gets pretty hot, but I haven't had any problems.
m
l
!