Sign in with
Your question

Extreme heat when OC 3570k/asrock z77 ext4 + hyper 212

Last response: in Overclocking
August 7, 2012 10:50:22 PM

I got my rig up and running about a week ago, now just installing new games, software, updating bios etc.

I decided to try OC.

I'm having severe temp issues during mild OC'ng.

CPU temps are 91-98-92-95c with a 4.0 OC with everything else set at auto in bios while running prime95. All cores hit mid 90's and 100c when I OC to only 4.2. By comparison my current cpu temp as I'm typing this is 40-42-32-37c.

I'm not sure if I need to set the voltage up/down or what else. Anybody have any ideas what else I need to do in bios?

a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 1:24:48 AM

Welcome to Ivy Bridge and the dealing with the heat. The Ivy Bridge cpu is the tock to the Sandy Bridge tick as Intel would put it. These two releases are actually of the same die and where Sandy Bridge was designed to be the overclocker ,Ivy Bridge was designed to be the low power consumer hence the 77w tdp. The result of this low tdp was that when overclocked and voltage added there was a side efferct with the increase of heat. You can over clock the Ivy Bridge but not that much or you need heavy duty cpu cooler. This article should give you some more info.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overcloc...

It may be titled with the 3770k but it does include all the clockable Ivy Bridge cpus.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 2:29:11 AM

What voltage?
m
l
Related resources
August 8, 2012 2:57:09 AM

amuffin said:
What voltage?

voltage is set to stock or auto in bios. Under cpuz during prime95 it's at 1.112v

m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 3:07:52 AM

With only stock voltage yu should not have anywhere near that heat , I think that your heatsink is not connected right or its fan is not spinning or something else is wrong with it.
What do you have for a cpu heatsink/fan? Did you apply thermal compound or was it preapplied to the heatsink? Is the heatsink tightened down so it doesn't move? Is it loose?
m
l
August 8, 2012 3:20:43 AM

TERRIBLE NEWS!

I did some more research on my HSF. Many people were experiencing a little swivel effect on their HSF. I peaked inside of my case and did notice my HSF tilted just a little to the side. I moved it back in place to center it. It's positioned with the fan pushing right to left. I then removed the fan and tightened the screws just a little more. 2 out of the 4 did need just a little more tightening. On the fourth and last one I over torqued and the screw snapped!

I'm now back to stock settings using the stock HSF. *sigh*

I won't be OC'ng until I can buy another bracket set for my hyper 212.

As far as the TIM, I used the one that came with the Cooler Master. Is that good enough?
I applied it evenly on the CPU only.
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 4:12:59 AM

It should be good enough but you will have to reapply when you get the bracket and put the 212 back in. If you need to buy some then a good thermal compound is Artic Silver 5 , I have been using it for years and while there may be some just as good or better I can tell you this one is good.
Also when applying it make sure it's a very thin layer , about the thickness of a razer blade if you can , very thin.
You can try some overclock with the stock cooler it's not that bad that you can't try it. Just to see what some temps are .
m
l
August 11, 2012 2:21:03 PM

There is so much here to address.

Yes, the ivy runs hotter than sandy, and yes it's faster and more efficient at a lower overclock.

Fix your HSF issue, and get AWAY from "auto" settings. They aren't the most efficient, nor the best working for overclocking. You want to change everything to manual, and stick with the stock settings until you get a BSOD. You're going to move the multiplier up, while watching temps in Realtemp 3.70, and CPU-z going. Prime 95 is the program I like to use to push the CPU for testing. The ivy can take 105C, I don't push it past 85C while using prime 95.

As you run up the multiplier, every 3 you go up, do a 5 minute test in prime 95, watch your temps and set an alarm for 85 degrees. If you get a BSOD or lock up, bump the voltage slightly up, and try to run again for 5 minutes. Once you get to a level you're comfy at, try for a 10 minute run, and log temps. If you're getting over 85C, then I would recommend backing off. If you're staying cool, then push it for an hour for stability. After an hour, I like to game for an hour, then run prime 95 for a few hours and see how it reacts.

Games and Prime95 react differently to overclocks, what was a 5 hour stable 4.9 on my 3570K, wasn't stable with BF3. BUT, bf3 kept the processor much cooler than a bench test like prime 95.
m
l
!