Sign in with
Your question

DAW build with legacy PCI and quiet

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2010 12:11:18 PM

Hi, thanks for looking. Its my first post here so go easy on me...!! I've been messin around with computers since the mid 90s but have not really stayed into home builds in recent years so I'm kinda rusty on the newer stuff/specs. I want to build myself a new DAW computer for my home studio in 2010. The problem is that I still use and love my old PARIS system (under XP pro) which is based on old PCI full size card technology. Many users have went with external PCI chassis (Magma , Virtuavia) to house the PARIS EDS-1000 cards but I was trying to stay away from adding another case (more noise) to my setup.

The system would need to be/have:

1. Four PCI legacy slots on the mobo (5v, 33mHz)
2. Multiple core support
3. Case as quiet as possible and still house full size PCI cards. (would consider modifying the case if I had to)
4. Dual output PCI-e video that would work with a dualhead2go adapter giving me 3 monitors

Was kinda looking at the GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3L for the mobo.

More info on PARIS
http://www.parisfaqs.com/

Thanks in advance for any help I can get and I am wide open to any suggestions.

Robert
January 21, 2010 4:59:51 AM

I'm sure those full-size PCI cards can plug into contemporary motherboards; your problem is the case, which might not provide enough space. Another problem is that mobos usually only have one or two "legacy" PCI slots... any reason why you don't want to let go of your old PARIS system?
m
l
!