Want to upgrade my pc but I forget everything about computers lol

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I built my pc a couple years back and only put in 2gb of ddr2 ram at the time. Now with the release of starcraft i notice that my load times are super slow and it was suggested that more ram would help. Also during play i run at 95-98% usage.

anyways current specs (from cpuz and gpu-z)

windows xp 32 bit. I suppose i could get windows 7 64bit but i like that utorrent runs without problems for me currently. I heard that my friend who has windows 7 has numerous problems with it working. along with other programs
2x 500gb wd hard drives
q6600 @3.0ghz
asus maximus formula x38 mobo
nvidia 9800 gx2

** 2048mb ddr ram

frequency- 400mhz
fsb dram 5:6 (fml i just remembered these were supposed to be even.. i dont even know how to do that)

2T

Anyways with my current motherboard and setup what is the best ram i could get? and if i were to get 4gb how much would my pc use? (due to xp 32bit)

thank a bunch and any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

tecmo34

Administrator
Really, there is little difference in DDR3 and DDR2 in a gaming build, so you'll see minimum to little benefit.

You would see a bigger increase if you upgrade your platform to either an AMD Phenom II X4 955 or Intel Core i5-750 with an appropriate motherboard for either CPU. However, you are looking at a $300 or so price tag to do so.

tecmo34

Administrator
35 - 40c at idle isn't out of the ball park. Going up 200MHz to 3.2GHz should not increase temps too much, if at all.

I would just recommend running Prime95 overnight to make sure you don't get any errors and the overclock is stable. If you have issues, just keep your overclock to 3.0GHz.