Solved

Want to upgrade my pc but I forget everything about computers lol

I built my pc a couple years back and only put in 2gb of ddr2 ram at the time. Now with the release of starcraft i notice that my load times are super slow and it was suggested that more ram would help. Also during play i run at 95-98% usage.

anyways current specs (from cpuz and gpu-z)

windows xp 32 bit. I suppose i could get windows 7 64bit but i like that utorrent runs without problems for me currently. I heard that my friend who has windows 7 has numerous problems with it working. along with other programs
2x 500gb wd hard drives
q6600 @3.0ghz
asus maximus formula x38 mobo
nvidia 9800 gx2

** 2048mb ddr ram

frequency- 400mhz
fsb dram 5:6 (fml i just remembered these were supposed to be even.. i dont even know how to do that)

2T

Anyways with my current motherboard and setup what is the best ram i could get? and if i were to get 4gb how much would my pc use? (due to xp 32bit)

thank a bunch and any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about want upgrade forget computers
  1. As for a RAM upgrade, I would go with G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B

With a 32-bit system, you will only be able to use 3.5GB to 3.25GB of the RAM. You will not be able to use the full amount of the RAM.
  2. cant my board handle ddr3? I was under the impression it could. if so i definitely want to upgrade to dd3.
  3. If this is your motherboard than it doesn't support DDR3 memory.

ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
  4. sigh..... thats annoying.

would it be worth it to upgrade the mobo? and get some ddr3 memory?
  5. Really, there is little difference in DDR3 and DDR2 in a gaming build, so you'll see minimum to little benefit.

You would see a bigger increase if you upgrade your platform to either an AMD Phenom II X4 955 or Intel Core i5-750 with an appropriate motherboard for either CPU. However, you are looking at a $300 or so price tag to do so.
  6. and im sure if i did that i would want to upgrade everything :\

if i just went with the ram u suggested do you reckon it would help in game performance and load times?
  7. Best answer
    Going with 4GB of RAM will help with load times at little, as well as upping your overclock to 3.2GHz.
  8. will 3.2 = a proper fsb to ram ratio? or
  9. Best answer selected by maverick7.
  10. maverick7 said:
    will 3.2 = a proper fsb to ram ratio? or

Yes, you should still be in a proper fsb to ram ratio.
  11. since i havent dealth with ocing in a while... what will my fsb have to be?

also im not sure if i can push it to 3.2 as my cpu is already running at about 35-40c idle
  12. uppppppp
  13. 35 - 40c at idle isn't out of the ball park. Going up 200MHz to 3.2GHz should not increase temps too much, if at all.

I would just recommend running Prime95 overnight to make sure you don't get any errors and the overclock is stable. If you have issues, just keep your overclock to 3.0GHz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards RAM Product