Help Windows XP is not booting

GaMe II Ov3r

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hi

I have a pc which I built back in 08 and it not been used regurarly since 2010(I will include the specs below). When I started using it again I was getting the BSOD that displayed a message along the lines of "IRQL Not Less Than or Equal". This would only happen after around an hour of use. Also games would crash when I started to play them. Then about a week ago I went to boot the PC and I get this message :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

It then goes on to talk about using the original Setup CD-ROM to start repair. The problem is I cannot find the original CD-ROM. At this point I tried to use a windows xp proffessional disk I have to try and install the OS from scratch. However it allways comes up an error after it checks the hardware configuration. The error always gives a different line of the INF file it talks about here is the most recent error code:

Line 1700 of the INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invald
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit

Here are the PC specs:
Intel E4600 processor
Nvidia 8800GT XFX
4GB of Kingston valueram
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
80GB IDE Hard drive
And the disk drive is out of a cheap dell pc
I dont know the make or power of the psu without opening the case but I think it is 600w
Windows XP home edition

The hard drive and the disk drive are out of an old Dell pc that I had which was riddled with viruses and eventually died. I think the problem may be with my hard drive or the RAM but I am not entirely sure. I cant really test the hard drive as I do not have another desktop I can put it in. Any help is appreciated

Thanks