Sign in with
Your question

Can't get SLi to work

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2010 2:11:15 AM

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Original Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

New Video Card - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2605...

Connected the new video card, the fan is running, but when I boot up, windows doesn't tell me it found new hardware. I'm almost sure that I installed it right, except it wiggles a little more than my original video card does. What's wrong? What do I do to make it work? Is the card dead?

More about : sli work

January 4, 2010 3:57:43 AM

are you sure u have the right power requirements?
The SLI bridge attached correctly?
Try running each card separately to see what happens
m
l
January 4, 2010 4:14:17 AM

I have a 580w PSU. That is plenty of power according to the NVIDIA website for those two cards.

The computer won't even read the card, regardless of the bridge (tried it both directions)

I'm having trouble removing the original card, not real computer savvy and don't want to damage it so having a friend come over this week to help remove it. The back end of the card won't come out..
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2010 5:08:56 AM

According to that, I have plenty of power.
m
l
January 4, 2010 5:13:00 AM

then it may be your second card...
tough to tell w/o removing your first card and testing it independently
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 4:26:14 PM

Before you do anything, did you flip the chip in the middle that gives the second slot 8x lanes first? If you didn't then the second card isn't detected because it's not getting any PCI-E lanes to communicate with the rest of the system.

If you are sure you have done the above then try the following. Take out the first card and try it with only the second card installed in the second slot. If you get no video signal and it doesn't POST, then try it in the first PCI-E slot. If the card does not work in the first PCI-E slot, then the second card is dead. If it works in the first PCI-E slot, then check the chip between the slots again to be sure it's in the correct position to enable SLI. If it is then try your first card in the second slot. If it does not work then your board has a bad second slot or a bad SLI chip between the two slots.
m
l
January 6, 2010 9:25:44 PM

Got it working. Thank you for everyone's help.
m
l
January 6, 2010 9:36:17 PM

what did u do
m
l
January 7, 2010 7:59:13 AM

I didn't realize that there was a metal thing securing my video card in. Took that off, popped the original card out, tried running new card solo, and it started working. So I knew that the card worked. I flipped the chip between the 2 PCI slots around(I thought there was a physical switch, not a chip) so it said SLi mode instead of Normal mode. Put my original card back in then put the 2nd one back in..put bridge on...started windows. Reinstalled new drivers. DONE. It changed my reso and now it works.

Not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. I wonder if I'm bottlenecking...since I only have a single core cpu..I dunno. I'm not that computer savvy.

AMD Anthlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHz
2 NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT
2 GB RAM
m
l
January 7, 2010 3:22:19 PM

its prob not bottle necking that bad since its a 7 series card
m
l
January 7, 2010 7:42:40 PM

Well, I say that because in Cod4 I see NO increase in fps. Yes I have it set up for dual vid cards. I wonder why. I dont have a custom config though. I'm sure that would help.
m
l
January 7, 2010 7:53:25 PM

some games weren't written to utilize dual GPUs.
or
Nvidia never released a driver update that increased SLI performance in that game

the best way to tell if its bottlenecking is to run a synthetic benchmark w/ it in SLI, and w/ it not.
Something like 3dMark Vantage, or SiSoftware Sandra
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a c 273 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 9:06:16 PM

arges86 said:
some games weren't written to utilize dual GPUs.
or
Nvidia never released a driver update that increased SLI performance in that game

the best way to tell if its bottlenecking is to run a synthetic benchmark w/ it in SLI, and w/ it not.
Something like 3dMark Vantage, or SiSoftware Sandra

COD4 likes dual cards very much, it's just that the 7600GT's are not very good cards to use as an example of SLi.
m
l
February 11, 2010 3:13:53 AM

Hi all. I have another question/issue I'd like to share with you guys. Hopefully you guys can help me figure it out.

I mainly play Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4. Thinking about getting MW2. But when playing Cod2/4 I'd say about once every 15-20 seconds I get fps lag of about 2-5 seconds. On Cod2 I have my fps shown at the top right hand corner and it's usually around 125(that's what I have it capped at) and it will drop to 40-60ish then eventually go back up to 125. Same thing happens in Cod4, but a little worse. Instead of just lagging and skipping frames, it'll just freeze my screen for about 1-2 seconds then be fine. This started happening once I installed my 2nd card and went with SLi.

My question is, do you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? It's like the 2nd card stops working for a few seconds, then starts working again. I'm 99% sure that my drivers are updated, because I did that a few weeks ago after both cards were installed.

Thanks a bunch!
m
l
!