Graphics Card not detected?

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
I have a Lenovo 3000 J115 .... and I think it has a nForce 400 chipset... it has a GeForce 6100 IGP and 2 PCI slots and 1 PCI-E 16x slot and also 1 PCI-E 1x slot. Also has Two S-ATA ports, 2 IDE ports, one FDD port, has AM2+ socket, and onboard HD sound card. It has a AMD Athlon X2 3800+ AM2+ Processor running at 2GHz with a heatsink and fan installed. I have also upgraded the PSU from 250W to a 400W Ultra LS with PCI-E power cables. It also has a 250GB WD SATA HDD and a Hitachi DL DVD-RW IDE Burner. Also a Media Card Reader and 6x USB 2.0 ports. Has 2GB of DDR2 RAM upgradedf from 1GB.

Okay, I think I've provided almost a complete throughout specification listing of my computer. Anyways I have two graphics cards I tried out on this PC.
I'm only 13 so I don't have that much to spend on a graphics card yet... so yeah

Anyways, I have a EVGA GeForce 8400GS 256MB GDDR2 PCI-E x16 which I bought back in Summer 2008. It worked well for me for like a year or so then I tried out the Windows 7 RC. Whenever I used the 8400GS it would just stay at a black screen with the cursor. I thought it was a driver problem (it was) so I just decided to remove my 8400GS and stay with the 6100 IGP until the Windows 7 Final release. Then I install the final release and put this card in and boot it up but don't get any signal... so I see if it seated it in properly and I did.... the fan is spinning and all but still no signal so I try out the integrated graphics and it works... so I thought it was a BIOS setting problem so I go into the BIOS and try to fix it but I tried all the options with the same result... The options were PEG, PCI, and GEP or somethin like that

Next, I just bought this last night (Finally.... I've been saving up) it's as MSI GeForce 8600GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E... It's something I can afford for now. I tried this GPU on the seller's PC just to verify it works and it does. So just to make sure it wasn't the graphics card (8400GS) that was the problem I tried this out and still it didn't work... The fan is spinning... but still no signal except from the integrated graphics?...Oh and btw it doesn't have a power connecter and trust me I know what that looks like....

I really need this graphics card (s) to work... I wanan play some games on my PC.... laptop has a HD 3200 which is great for gaming but a 8600GT is still better plus it supports Mac OSX...

Anyways I heard it was a motherboard problem and I don't have money to buy a motherboard... usually I deal through craigslist.
Everything is working though.... how can it be a motherboard problem when the card is recieving power

G

well , even am facing a similiar prob with gfx and Asus mobo in the da picture . I am using Asus M3N78-EM onboard Nvidia 8300 and discrete 8600 GT but it isnt detecting even after making few changes in the BIOS .....like detect PCIE EXPRESS and buffer at 512 but to no avail with latest drivers installed ..... been just playing around with permutations and combinations for while now .
It just dosent seem to detect ....like boot up on 8600 GT . Tonite , I shall try sum logic tonite though ..... lol ! :sweat:

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Hehe... I still have the same d**n f*ckin problem!!!!! But well I just transitioned to an Xbox 360.... traded my Xbox 360 Arcade for a modded one with 20GB but it's banned.

IDC i just wanna play games. hehe