fxv300

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Hi Not sure if this is a co-incidence or not but since ATI 10.7 my systems have occassionally frozen. A restart does not work as the BIOS is corrupt. I Have checked the battery and that is at 3.01V...resetting the BIOS works and all works till next freeze........Anyone else with this issue.
Many Thanks

Maybe a conflict with your AzureWave AD-SP400? Is your ATI ALL 64-bit?? vs. 32-bit...

R/O conflicts:
1. try your previous version of ATI (64-bit)
2. remove your AzureWave AD-SP400
3. reinstall ATI 10.7 w/Driver only install.

What ATI do you have?

@bilbat - {OP "resetting the BIOS works and all works till next freeze" } ~ shouldn't that resolve any USB issue? Unless there's something way wrong w/device. Assuming resetting ~ Clear CMOS.

fxv300

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

Hi Thanks for the reply, I have reflashed the bios in case it got corrupt ...not able to test for a while as away for a couple of weeks ...tried to do a system restore but that did not work for whatever reason even though I have a few restore points. The only thing else I had installed was PC Wizard from CPU ID (I have now uninstalled this). We'll see ....I dont think the azuwave satellite card will have anything to do with this as I've had that for a couple of years running the same drivers unless the hardware has died.....still works fine.
I have no new USB devices and all of the them seem fine..
When this happened the 1st time someone (not me) else was on facebook and also viewing some stuff on utube. The second time it happened I was just browsing with IE8
One thing which I've noticed is an installation of the free version of Mcaffe (I have avast anti virus) but have not unistalled that as yet.

:sol:

fxv300

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

I have not seen any bad reports on ATi 10.7 but I will try that if it happens again. Why would a anything from ATi ever try and mess up the CMOS surely that is a no go zone !!!

bilbat

Splendid
I'm running 10.7 on several OS installations - no problems yet - actually cured a few! I also doubt it's the Azure... Have you tried a run of MemTest86+ to see if the RAM is still 'happy' with its settings? I also notice you have eight gig; four DIMMs I assume? Was it originally 'yweaked' to accomodate two DIMMs per channel?

Yeah, you don't want (2) AVs running, but at worst you'd have erratic behavior and "maybe" BSOD. Regarding your AzureWave I remember my "fun" with an HDTV + ATI AIW + ATI TV (PIP) and getting a stable system...been a while.

Just an "Idea:"
You inferred a "restart cycle" ~ seems more software than HW - have you installed/updated any new "media" plug-ins?? I have experienced something similar with Flash; it was a pain to figure-out. I had to fully uninstall ALL Flash components, reset IE, and in my case fixed the issue.

In addition, AVAST "could" have missed some malware; D/L and run the free "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" or similar and scan your system. I "get" costs - I'd recommend ESET over Norton, it's worth the $... Update Java and remove older versions.

Good Luck!

fxv300

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I had the recent Adobe flash update so that could have messed a few things up....I will see if it keeps happening when I get back to my rig (14th) ....If i keep getting the issue I will put the reset function on a switch to save me keep opening the case up etc .......

Footnote: the new version of Flash (10.1) utilizes more resources of the GPU. I tested 10.1(beta 1~3) and noticed a profound improvement for nVida (beta was initially nVida only), so as soon as the official 10.1 was available {uninstalled beta/install official) then all hell broke loose. I thought my TV's media PC was toast...

fxv300

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

I will run some tests when I get a chance. I am not sure what you mean by tweaked re the memory...I left all the settings as it was in the BIOS and always worked ok so far but will run some tests.

I reckon it has to be something specific to write to the BIOS as that is usually via specific calls to an IO port area. Not seen any memory events in the event viewer ever on this rig.

fxv300

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

so many updates coming from all quarters it is difficult to keep track of things these days.... :pt1cable: