Laptop Recommendations

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.

What I must have in the laptop:
-A fast processor
-128 MB video
-512 ram at least
-40 gig HD is sufficient
-3 Year Warranty
-XP Professional
-DVD/CDRW drive
-Wireless LAN
-Extra Battery
-Carrying Case

So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
appreciated.
13 answers Last reply
More about laptop recommendations
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

    Bobby G wrote:
    > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    >
    > What I must have in the laptop:
    > -A fast processor
    > -128 MB video
    > -512 ram at least
    > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > -3 Year Warranty
    > -XP Professional
    > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > -Wireless LAN
    > -Extra Battery
    > -Carrying Case
    >
    > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Research, research; the hallmark of the scholar.

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

    Don't buy inspiron!
    > Bobby G wrote:
    > > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    > >
    > > What I must have in the laptop:
    > > -A fast processor
    > > -128 MB video
    > > -512 ram at least
    > > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > > -3 Year Warranty
    > > -XP Professional
    > > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > > -Wireless LAN
    > > -Extra Battery
    > > -Carrying Case
    > >
    > > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    >
    > Research, research; the hallmark of the scholar.

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

    NoPatience wrote:

    > Don't buy inspiron!

    Any reason, or was this just a fleeting thought?

    Notan
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

    I've got an Inspiron 9100, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a college
    student. Not if you're going to cart it around to classes, anyway. Too
    heavy (close to 10 pounds just for the laptop), and battery life is too
    short. As a desktop replacement, it's not too bad. And for games, it
    supposed to be pretty good, with an ATI Mobile 9700Pro card in it.

    Clint

    "Bobby G" <bobby8@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    >
    > What I must have in the laptop:
    > -A fast processor
    > -128 MB video
    > -512 ram at least
    > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > -3 Year Warranty
    > -XP Professional
    > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > -Wireless LAN
    > -Extra Battery
    > -Carrying Case
    >
    > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > appreciated.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

    I have an Inspiron
    I took a four year warranty.
    In four years, Dell replaced the display, the hardrive, the keyboard and
    eventually the entire laptop.
    Now I am in 5th year- they wont extend the warranty. Every few times- the
    Laptop does not boot up, putting out an error message that 'no bootable
    services found'. When it boots up it does work fine. But there is no
    guarantee that it will boot up. Iwas told by Dell that its either the hard
    disk (once replaced) or the motherboard. I am not certain yet what I should
    do. Those were my problems with DELL.
    Delllaptops are heavy and crude.
    The only good thing is that Dell has a half-decent customer support.
    Since you are a student and you need something that works all the time and
    for several years- DELL is a bad choice.
    I suggest that you look into HP or SONY.
    "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > I've got an Inspiron 9100, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a college
    > student. Not if you're going to cart it around to classes, anyway. Too
    > heavy (close to 10 pounds just for the laptop), and battery life is too
    > short. As a desktop replacement, it's not too bad. And for games, it
    > supposed to be pretty good, with an ATI Mobile 9700Pro card in it.
    >
    > Clint
    >
    > "Bobby G" <bobby8@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    > >
    > > What I must have in the laptop:
    > > -A fast processor
    > > -128 MB video
    > > -512 ram at least
    > > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > > -3 Year Warranty
    > > -XP Professional
    > > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > > -Wireless LAN
    > > -Extra Battery
    > > -Carrying Case
    > >
    > > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > > appreciated.

    HP and Sony laptops are terrible too
    from a reliability point of view.

    Every single one that passed through
    my hands (or those of someone I knew)
    broke and took forever to fix.

    My current recommendation for people
    on student budgets is Fujitsu. Very
    good balance of performance, quality,
    reliability, and excellent service
    and support. I packed my kids to
    college with 13" Fujitsu laptops,
    and they are very happy with them.

    For the very best, go Panasonic.

    dk

    "Sachin" <sachten@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Inspiron
    > I took a four year warranty.
    > In four years, Dell replaced the display, the hardrive, the keyboard and
    > eventually the entire laptop.
    > Now I am in 5th year- they wont extend the warranty. Every few times- the
    > Laptop does not boot up, putting out an error message that 'no bootable
    > services found'. When it boots up it does work fine. But there is no
    > guarantee that it will boot up. Iwas told by Dell that its either the hard
    > disk (once replaced) or the motherboard. I am not certain yet what I
    should
    > do. Those were my problems with DELL.
    > Delllaptops are heavy and crude.
    > The only good thing is that Dell has a half-decent customer support.
    > Since you are a student and you need something that works all the time and
    > for several years- DELL is a bad choice.
    > I suggest that you look into HP or SONY.
    > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > I've got an Inspiron 9100, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a
    college
    > > student. Not if you're going to cart it around to classes, anyway. Too
    > > heavy (close to 10 pounds just for the laptop), and battery life is too
    > > short. As a desktop replacement, it's not too bad. And for games, it
    > > supposed to be pretty good, with an ATI Mobile 9700Pro card in it.
    > >
    > > Clint
    > >
    > > "Bobby G" <bobby8@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > > > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > > > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > > > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > > > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > > > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    > > >
    > > > What I must have in the laptop:
    > > > -A fast processor
    > > > -128 MB video
    > > > -512 ram at least
    > > > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > > > -3 Year Warranty
    > > > -XP Professional
    > > > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > > > -Wireless LAN
    > > > -Extra Battery
    > > > -Carrying Case
    > > >
    > > > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > > > appreciated.

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

    Bobby G wrote:
    > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    >
    > What I must have in the laptop:
    > -A fast processor
    > -128 MB video
    > -512 ram at least
    > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > -3 Year Warranty
    > -XP Professional
    > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > -Wireless LAN
    > -Extra Battery
    > -Carrying Case
    >
    > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    Just something to think about... theft. Are you going to be staying in
    a dorm? If so will you have a reasonably safe place to put the laptop?
    Or do you at least known your roomate-to-be? Will your (parents)
    homeowners insurance cover you if it's stolen? I'm sure you know this
    already, but never turn your back on the laptop, eg at the library while
    you go make a photocopy.

    I had an Inspiron 8100, which I purchased with three-year warranty. During
    the second year of use, I experienced progressive screen burn-in
    (supposedly impossible with LCD's - HAH!) and video card failure, followed
    by complete failure of the AC adapter, after which I was forced to send the
    computer to Dell for warranty repair. Took at least ten long phone calls
    and three Airborne shipments over the next month before Dell finally got
    everything fixed and I could actually use the 8100 again.

    I like my new Toshiba just fine after six months.

    Read what Dell owners say about customer support at:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=cc_general

    "Sachin" <sachten@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Inspiron
    > I took a four year warranty.
    > In four years, Dell replaced the display, the hardrive, the keyboard and
    > eventually the entire laptop.
    > Now I am in 5th year- they wont extend the warranty. Every few times- the
    > Laptop does not boot up, putting out an error message that 'no bootable
    > services found'. When it boots up it does work fine. But there is no
    > guarantee that it will boot up. Iwas told by Dell that its either the hard
    > disk (once replaced) or the motherboard. I am not certain yet what I
    should
    > do. Those were my problems with DELL.
    > Delllaptops are heavy and crude.
    > The only good thing is that Dell has a half-decent customer support.
    > Since you are a student and you need something that works all the time and
    > for several years- DELL is a bad choice.
    > I suggest that you look into HP or SONY.
    > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > I've got an Inspiron 9100, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a
    college
    > > student. Not if you're going to cart it around to classes, anyway. Too
    > > heavy (close to 10 pounds just for the laptop), and battery life is too
    > > short. As a desktop replacement, it's not too bad. And for games, it
    > > supposed to be pretty good, with an ATI Mobile 9700Pro card in it.
    > >
    > > Clint
    > >
    > > "Bobby G" <bobby8@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > > > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > > > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > > > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > > > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > > > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    > > >
    > > > What I must have in the laptop:
    > > > -A fast processor
    > > > -128 MB video
    > > > -512 ram at least
    > > > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > > > -3 Year Warranty
    > > > -XP Professional
    > > > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > > > -Wireless LAN
    > > > -Extra Battery
    > > > -Carrying Case
    > > >
    > > > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > > > appreciated.

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.laptops (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:00:26 -0400, "Sachin" <sachten@rediffmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have an Inspiron
    >I took a four year warranty.
    >In four years, Dell replaced the display, the hardrive, the keyboard and
    >eventually the entire laptop.

    We had 2 Dell laptops in the house; one an Inspiron 8100 and the other
    a newer 2650. The 2650 went dead just after the warranty. Yes, I know
    it's often worth purchasing extra on items like that. Still, that is
    beside the fact that it failed after only 13 months of rare use. I
    used my 8100, which was refurbished by the way, about 10 hours a day
    and the 2650 was hardly used that much in a week.

    I just don't believe in Dells anymore, especially for the price
    premium. I now have a Toshiba and it has much better graphics, you get
    a bigger HD without having to pay extra, etc.

    >Now I am in 5th year- they wont extend the warranty. Every few times- the
    >Laptop does not boot up, putting out an error message that 'no bootable
    >services found'. When it boots up it does work fine. But there is no
    >guarantee that it will boot up. Iwas told by Dell that its either the hard
    >disk (once replaced) or the motherboard. I am not certain yet what I should
    >do. Those were my problems with DELL.
    >Delllaptops are heavy and crude.
    >The only good thing is that Dell has a half-decent customer support.
    >Since you are a student and you need something that works all the time and
    >for several years- DELL is a bad choice.
    >I suggest that you look into HP or SONY.
    >"Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> I've got an Inspiron 9100, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a college
    >> student. Not if you're going to cart it around to classes, anyway. Too
    >> heavy (close to 10 pounds just for the laptop), and battery life is too
    >> short. As a desktop replacement, it's not too bad. And for games, it
    >> supposed to be pretty good, with an ATI Mobile 9700Pro card in it.
    >>
    >> Clint
    >>
    >> "Bobby G" <bobby8@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    >> > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    >> > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    >> > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    >> > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    >> > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    >> >
    >> > What I must have in the laptop:
    >> > -A fast processor
    >> > -128 MB video
    >> > -512 ram at least
    >> > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    >> > -3 Year Warranty
    >> > -XP Professional
    >> > -DVD/CDRW drive
    >> > -Wireless LAN
    >> > -Extra Battery
    >> > -Carrying Case
    >> >
    >> > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    >> > appreciated.

    Also make sure to protect the BIOS *and* the
    system with boot passwords, and to invest in
    a Computrace subscription.

    dk

    "timeOday" <timeOday-UNSPAM@theknack.net> wrote in message
    > Bobby G wrote:
    > > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    > >
    > > What I must have in the laptop:
    > > -A fast processor
    > > -128 MB video
    > > -512 ram at least
    > > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > > -3 Year Warranty
    > > -XP Professional
    > > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > > -Wireless LAN
    > > -Extra Battery
    > > -Carrying Case
    > >
    > > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    >
    > Just something to think about... theft. Are you going to be staying in
    > a dorm? If so will you have a reasonably safe place to put the laptop?
    > Or do you at least known your roomate-to-be? Will your (parents)
    > homeowners insurance cover you if it's stolen? I'm sure you know this
    > already, but never turn your back on the laptop, eg at the library while
    > you go make a photocopy.

    Check out the Fujitsu N-Series
    http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=N5

    Bobby G <bobby8@cox.net> wrote:
    > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    >
    > What I must have in the laptop:
    > -A fast processor
    > -128 MB video
    > -512 ram at least
    > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > -3 Year Warranty
    > -XP Professional
    > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > -Wireless LAN
    > -Extra Battery
    > -Carrying Case
    >
    > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    The Fujitsu N's are great laptops, but
    they are definitely on the large and
    heavy side of the equation. I would
    rather recommend the S series for a
    notebook that will be schlepped to
    classes.

    Bobby G's problem however is that he
    also wants 128 MB of video memory
    (which only a few high end units
    have) *and* a 3-year warranty.

    Fewer and fewer laptop brands offer
    3 year warranties on fewer and fewer
    models these days -- though it is
    possible to buy extended warranties
    at extra cost from 3rd party vendors.

    And don't forget most laptops are not
    designed to run games, except for niche
    market brands like Alienware.

    dk

    "Terry" <terry@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > Check out the Fujitsu N-Series
    > http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=N5
    >

    > Bobby G <bobby8@cox.net> wrote:
    > > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    > >
    > > What I must have in the laptop:
    > > -A fast processor
    > > -128 MB video
    > > -512 ram at least
    > > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > > -3 Year Warranty
    > > -XP Professional
    > > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > > -Wireless LAN
    > > -Extra Battery
    > > -Carrying Case
    > >
    > > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > > appreciated.

    S Series vs N Series - xga and 3.5 to 4 lbs. vs sxga and 8 plus lbs.
    One is definitely made for mobility, the other a desktop replacement.
    It's a tough choice. They're both excellent but I'd go for the sxga. I
    have a C-Series and too spoiled on the higer res. Bobby G probably has
    already made up his mind and picked something other than our
    favorites. - T

    Dan Koren <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > The Fujitsu N's are great laptops, but
    > they are definitely on the large and
    > heavy side of the equation. I would
    > rather recommend the S series for a
    > notebook that will be schlepped to
    > classes.
    >
    > Bobby G's problem however is that he
    > also wants 128 MB of video memory
    > (which only a few high end units
    > have) *and* a 3-year warranty.
    >
    > Fewer and fewer laptop brands offer
    > 3 year warranties on fewer and fewer
    > models these days -- though it is
    > possible to buy extended warranties
    > at extra cost from 3rd party vendors.
    >
    > And don't forget most laptops are not
    > designed to run games, except for niche
    > market brands like Alienware.
    >

    > dk
    >

    > "Terry" <terry@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > > Check out the Fujitsu N-Series
    > > http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=N5
    > >

    > > Bobby G <bobby8@cox.net> wrote:
    > > > I am going off to college in the fall and am buying a laptop. I would
    > > > like it to be a fast computer that can handle current games. Size
    > > > isn't a huge issue but I don't want something overly bulky. I have
    > > > about 2000$ to spend (a little over won't hurt, but should be
    > > > worthwhile). Right now a few I am looking at are the HP/Compaq nc800,
    > > > Inspiron 9100, and the HP zx5000.
    > > >
    > > > What I must have in the laptop:
    > > > -A fast processor
    > > > -128 MB video
    > > > -512 ram at least
    > > > -40 gig HD is sufficient
    > > > -3 Year Warranty
    > > > -XP Professional
    > > > -DVD/CDRW drive
    > > > -Wireless LAN
    > > > -Extra Battery
    > > > -Carrying Case
    > > >
    > > > So if anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly
    > > > appreciated.

Laptops Hewlett Packard Product