Do you want to make your files and folders private? question

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

xp pro sp2. When you set a password for an account this question is asked of
you: "Do you want to make your files and folders private?".

I have a different, much longer post, that I am not getting any feedback on
so I am breaking this up into several more straight forward questions.

1) what exactly happens if you say 'yes'?

1b) and more specifically, are any registry permissions changed?

and if you are up to the actual problem that this is a part of PLEASE
checkout post by me titled "good question for an xp guru"

Thanks!

djc wrote:

> xp pro sp2. When you set a password for an account this question is asked of
> you: "Do you want to make your files and folders private?".
>
> I have a different, much longer post, that I am not getting any feedback on
> so I am breaking this up into several more straight forward questions.
>
> 1) what exactly happens if you say 'yes'?

The folder/file rights under
C:\Documents and Settings\<some user>
is changed so only <some user> have access to that folder.

> 1b) and more specifically, are any registry permissions changed?

No.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

Glad to hear from you Torgeir!

For the full reason of this question please checkout my post titled "good
question for a good xp guru!" in the
microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment newsgroup.

I would greatly appreciated your input on that... especially with regard to
the process described for preparing a machine to be imaged.. more
specifically, 'copying' a user profile over the 'Default User Profile'. I
got a reply that that will cause many problems.

Thank you!

djc wrote on 06-Oct-2004 6:18 AM:

> I would greatly appreciated your input on that... especially with regard to
> the process described for preparing a machine to be imaged.. more
> specifically, 'copying' a user profile over the 'Default User Profile'. I
> got a reply that that will cause many problems.

Copying a configured user profile over the Default Profile will cause
any processes that normally run at first logon to fail to run. It would
be better to export specific registry keys from a configured user
profile and import those to the Default User hive.

It can be a lot of work to find the right registry keys for each tweak.
www.winguides.com has a lot of registry keys to tweak the user
interface, but finding each and every key you want can be impossible.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

Browse to C:\Documents and Settings and right click on your username. Select Properties and then the Sharing tab. Uncheck the box for Make this Folder Private.

Grumpy

TRENDING THREADS