Sign in with
Your question

New Watercooling Project! Need opinions on loops, etc.

Last response: in Overclocking
August 8, 2012 9:42:15 AM

Currently in the process of planning out a brand new build from scratch. I'll break this down into what I'm getting and what I'm not sure about (need the communities advice)

~Hardware~
GPU: 1x GTX 580.
CPU: i7 3770K
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77
SSD: 2x Samsung 830 128GB.
HD: 1x Seagate 3TB.
Case: Corsair 800D
PSU: 1x Corsair HX 1000W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600mhz

~Watercooling~
(This is what I need help with)
GPU: EK GPU for Gtx 580.
Fittings: Bitspower Black Matte Compression fittings (I'm not sure what the loop will look like, hopefully you guys can help me, then I'll know if I need any angled fittings, etc)
Res: EK reservoir
D5 Pump
Rad: EK-CoolStream RAD XTX 360

Important: Price isn't THAT big of a deal, but I really want it as cost efficeint while still being quality as possible. Would it be better to get the EK 360 kit instead of them individually? It seems cheaper.

I need input on tubing to get as well.
Colour theme of the build: White tubing, white fans, Black fittings. I'm considering also using some green sleeving sparingly with white (or black) sleeving on the cables.

Basically I need help with setting up a loop for 1x GTX 580, and a CPU. I could cool the RAM too I suppose to make it look cooler. I'm pretty sure the sabertooth motherboard doesn't have a waterblock, so that's out of the question.
I'm still iffy on the fans. The new corsair fans look really sweet and would go great with my case,
http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/air-series-f...
but I don't know about noise. What fans do you guys use that are quiet that would still go with my theme? Or do you know how to paint them without making them heavier and increasing noise? Feel free to suggest better items for me.

Here's a link to the build that inspired me. I want it themed something like this. http://www.overclock.net/t/663602/hulk-v2-corsair-obsid...

Thanks guys!
a c 76 K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 10:39:08 AM

welcome to the world of watercooling! have you checked up on the watercooling sticky? its located at the top of this section or in my sig.

packed full of info! check it out...
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2012 1:18:37 PM

well that is a decent setup, you may want to have a look at mine and others peoples builds to be inspired on unique ways to build your loop, but this seems pretty straight forward. Those are pretty good fans for the rad. The AF series by corsair are good for case fans to move air through the case.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274855-29-experimenta...
a c 138 K Overclocking
August 9, 2012 1:01:48 AM

The pictures of the rig that inspired you are pretty nice looking and can see why you are now hooked. The double pump on the same loop is a little confusing since it's pnly cooling one video card , the cpu . ram and MB chipset. But it looks good though. The fans look good as well although you may want some higher cfm fans to blow through the radiator , those Corsair fans would work better as intake and exaust. I like a fan to be over 100 cfm for a fadiator because of the fins that it has to push the air through. The tubing is important in thatyou want one with a good amount of flexability so that it doesn't kink when you bend it also a thicker wall of the tubbing is better also. You want to make your loop as less resrictive as possible without a lot of sharp bends and as direct a route as possible so that the loop isn't excessivly long. Distilled water is the best to use with a little biocide mixed in to prevent the growth of algea, some of the premixed fluids can gunk up your pump and blocks.
To cut down on fan noise you can get a fan controller so that you can lower the sped to cut the noise or raise it to provide more cooling power.
!