Sign in with
Your question

Random Resets

Last response: in Systems
January 8, 2010 3:16:22 PM

Having run without problem for 2 years my system has started to exhibit the following symptoms around 2 or 3 times a day apparently quite randomly.

The screen goes black and a reset occurs starting with the BIOS splash screen - just as if the reset button were pressed.

It is a MSI motherboard P35/G33 Neo. Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz there are 4 DIMM slots each occupied by 1GB 800Mz DDR2 RAM. OS Windows XP Pro SP3 + all critical updates. Kaspersky IS 2010 reports no active threats.

If I run Memtest-86 v3.5 then a reset will occur within a few seconds of starting the first test - this is absolutely reproducible. I have tried rotating the modules (keeping matched pairs appropriately) this makes no difference. If I remove one of the modules (it does not seem to matter which) Memtest runs error free - have left it running all night but with unchanged memory configuration resets occur when running Windows.

I have reduced the memory to 2GB and still resets in normal use.

Have left computer running Windows in safe mode all night - no reset.

Any suggestions for resolving this problem would be much appreciated by an old man who is tearing his hair out.

More about : random resets

January 8, 2010 3:33:48 PM

Update - forgot to say that there have been a couple of occasions when the computer has 'frozen'.

NOW - have just experienced blue screen of death. STOP 0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x805545F0, 0x00000800) :ouch: 
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2010 10:56:58 PM

That hexcode is the bane of all computer enthusiasts. Your memory has died. Mourn it, remember it fondly, and move on...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
January 8, 2010 11:23:56 PM

The first thing I would try would be a new power supply.
January 9, 2010 8:57:47 AM

Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply. The problem I have with the memory diagnosis, which was my first thought, is that it implies that all four modules have failed. This does seem somewhat improbable.
January 9, 2010 7:37:18 PM

Have swapped the PSU, fortunately had a spare in the cupboard. Seems to have done the trick, computer up for >7 hours with no problems. Many thanks to pjmelect. :) 
!